Sign in to follow this  
goggi

AMD's Smart Access Memory +/- ?

Hi,
has anybody running a recent, AMD-equipped PC (e.g. 5900-series CPU and 6800-series GPU) activated the Smart Access Memory feature?
Any significant advantages (or issues) with MSFS?

I shall appreciate any comments and suggestions before delving into the BIOS …
Thanks,
Giorgio

Giorgio Goggi

I have it active as it results in some more FPS for other games I use, but no difference observed for MSFS with SAM on or off...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Thank you!
I am somewhat reluctant to meddle with something I know nothing about.
Regards, GIorgio

Giorgio Goggi

You may not have to meddle at all.

If I recall correctly SAM was enabled by default when I looked at the BIOS on my X570 motherboard. I wanted to make sure it was, so checking it was one of the first things I did. They called it Resizable BAR too which I thought was odd. I thought that was the Intel name for it.

I've got a 5900X, and a 6900. I doubt it adds any more than 2 or 3 FPS but every bit counts, ha ha. I'm getting about 50 FPS plus or minus a few depending on the scenery load.

Mike Beckwith

System specs in signature.

SAM is enabled as i find my sim runs a little smoother. No major effect on absolute framerates probably +1 or 2 frames at my resolution but i suspect a positive effect on the lows and my framerates are similar to the previous poster ( Driver based Lock at 50FPS with a typical reported session average of 45 to 46fps) 

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Thanks, guys.
My X570 was not enabled at the factory (as per Radeon SW app). I think I shall take the appropriate (simple) steps to go ahead and try enabling SAM. The likely smoother operation is quite attractive.
BTW: I enabled yesterday FSR (does not require BIOS changes) at nearly all settings maxed, and it is WHAM! Almost 25-30% more FPS, no visual quality drop.
Recommended!
G

• Upvote 1

Giorgio Goggi