Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

The sun is bright and so is the future for solar.

13cbn3.jpg

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Lets get this thread back on track.  Can wine glasses be recycled into solar panels?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

Lets get this thread back on track.  Can wine glasses be recycled into solar panels?

Noel

Yes. Solar panels have tempered glass in them. Doesn't mean you can booze more to save the planet though. I know your game. 😼

Nobody has answered my question yet.  How does shade affect solar cells?  My house is under the shade of two large pecan trees for a good part of the day.  Will it be worth getting them?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Shade can drastically reduce the charging rate of today's photocells. Heat can also reduce their efficiency. The only way to be sure if they would benefit you is the have a solar company come out and evaluate your situation. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Some states are also considering "Net Metering". This would make you unable to sell your excess production back to the local utility at the rate they charge you. This is going to seriously hurt solar companies. 

My state, Florida, is one of these states because of our Public Service Commission which is very utility biased. 

Please understand I'm not making a political comment but just sharing what is coming. 

I have spent over 30 years in the electrical industry so I have considerable experience with the production and delivery chain. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Yeah, absolutely ridiculous how some power companies are trying that trick, not letting you sell your power back. Rob is correct, the answer to such despicable behaviour is to install your own battery. 

So where does the excess power go if you have no battery and the power company wont pay you for it? Back into the grid then does it? Has to go somewhere. Stealing your power? 

Edited by martin-w

5 hours ago, birdguy said:

How does shade affect solar cells?

Certainly does. South is the preferred direction in the UK, and obviously any shade will cut the amount of sunlight hitting the cells. And as previously mentioned, excessive heat can be an issue. Peak efficiency is between 15 and 35C. Obviously they generate power outside of the peak range but you can see how temperature is an influence. 

This is one of the reason "floatovoltaics" is becoming popular. By installing PV cells over bodies of water, like lakes and reservoirs, the water keeps the cells cooler and within the peak range and the shade overhead reduces evaporation from the body of water. 

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yeah, absolutely ridiculous how some power companies are trying that trick, not letting you sell your power back.

In the state where I live (Alabama),  the largest utility is allowed to charge five dollars per kWh to anyone who tried to be grid tied and add power back to the grid.  I understand that leasing systems is also not allowed.

But no matter how hard the dinosaurs fight, they are stuck in the past and the future is indeed bright.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

In the state where I live (Alabama),  the largest utility is allowed to charge five dollars per kWh to anyone who tried to be grid tied and add power back to the grid.  I understand that leasing systems is also not allowed.

But no matter how hard the dinosaurs fight, they are stuck in the past and the future is indeed bright.

Huh... so not only do they steal your power but have the cheek to charge you $5 for the privilege? What the hell! 

49 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Huh... so not only do they steal your power but have the cheek to charge you $5 for the privilege? What the hell! 

A big part of the problem are current regulations designed for traditional power grids with fewer large sources of power being distributed across a wider area. In order to sell power to the grid you either need to become a utility company and follow the same laws and regulations yourself, or go through an existing utility company. Basically we need to overhaul both the electrical grid itself to better support the more distributed power generation abilities of solar and wind, as well as the outdated regulatory environment created for the traditional grid.