Sign in to follow this  
Jeff_M

MSFS 2020: Thinking that I bit off more than I can chew?

OK, I decided to re-enter the flight sim world after a 15 year layoff and bought a new PC just for using MSFS ( Intel I-7, Nvidia 3060 12g, 16g RAM, 512 SSD  w/1 TB HDD), 32" curved monitor, CH yoke and pedals.  I've had it up and running for just under a month.  While waiting arrival of the PC I studied this forum and there was a lot that didn't make sense to me (which made me a tad nervous).  The PC arrived and the first few weeks have been pretty good, I even got the Staggerwing (great!) and FlyInside Bell 47 (not so great).  However, the booting up process is frustrating.  The "Installation Manager" immediately checks for updates and then apparently downloads stuff for Australia which it's done since the first boot-up.  The blue line has gotten slower until this afternoon when it won't complete the task at all.  I checked posts for this problem and found one about using the "command line" and tried it but couldn't get it to work.  As an aside, I'd disappointed in the Washington D.C. scenery--the Washington Monument looks like and oversized wooden grade stake and the Capitol...has no dome!  This is with all settings on Ultra, no less.  But that's the least of my problems at this point as I can't even get the thing to boot up now.  I've been using computers for almost 25 years but don't consider myself a guru by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm just looking to cruise around the skies and enjoy myself without having to give this thing a cyber-slap upside the head every other day.  Am I asking too much?  

I don't understand what's going on with your installation manager. If you full-installed the latest version you should  be up to date on the sim, and only have to go to Marketplace and download the free content there for Australia, Japan, US and Germany, etc. I would skip the MS liveries though, as they all look alike.

Washington D.C. default scenery is not good. Orbx/Drziewicki has a Washington DC Landmark mod that is very nice and sometimes on sale. I don't think it costs very much even full price.

I'm sorry you don't like the Bell 47. I think it's great if you get the controller mapped properly, and you have to keep the FlyInsideHeli manager up to date. Since it runs outside the sim, that usually means updating after every scheduled upgrade of the sim.

• Like 1

It sounds like some part of the most recent update is failing to complete.

Maybe try updating from inside the XBox app that appears in the Start menu in Windows rather than from the game itself ?

With regard to addon aircraft the consensus seems to be the current standouts are the JF Warrior, JF Turbo Arrow and the Simworks Kodiak for smaller/GA planes and The PMDG DC6 and the Aerosoft CRJ for the bigger stuff. The Working Title CJ4 mod also seems to get an honourable mention.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jeff_M said:

As an aside, I'd disappointed in the Washington D.C. scenery--the Washington Monument looks like and oversized wooden grade stake and the Capitol...has no dome! 

Geez, I'm still blown away when I see this I took a while ago:spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

5 hours ago, Jeff_M said:

However, the booting up process is frustrating.  The "Installation Manager" immediately checks for updates and then apparently downloads stuff for Australia which it's done since the first boot-up.  The blue line has gotten slower until this afternoon when it won't complete the task at all.  I checked posts for this problem and found one about using the "command line" and tried it but couldn't get it to work.  As an aside, I'd disappointed in the Washington D.C. scenery--the Washington Monument looks like and oversized wooden grade stake and the Capitol...has no dome!  This is with all settings on Ultra, no less. 

Hi Jeff - try the steps in this article:

All versions - Loading issues - Checklist – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

As for scenery, you may still need to download the free World Updates within the in-sim Marketplace.

Edited by DylanM
  • Like 1

Also developer just released version 1.2 for washington scenery.  Might help with fps.

Good Luck

Steve

5 hours ago, Jeff_M said:

As an aside, I'd disappointed in the Washington D.C. scenery--the Washington Monument looks like and oversized wooden grade stake and the Capitol...has no dome! 

Did you happen to download the free US World Update in the in-game marketplace? This should have the custom modeled points of interest that are higher quality than photogrammetry. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff_M said:

As an aside, I'd disappointed in the Washington D.C. scenery--the Washington Monument looks like and oversized wooden grade stake and the Capitol...has no dome!  This is with all settings on Ultra, no less.   

Do you have photogrammetry turned off? 

Or maybe it requires one of the World Updates loaded for these objects to appear correctly?

As for the sim not booting, I would empty out the /Community folder (I would just copy its contents to a safe folder somewhere, temporarily) and see if the sim loads then.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

8 hours ago, Noel said:

Geez, I'm still blown away when I see this I took a while ago:spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

That looks much more realistic than mine.  I was fairly stunned that the Washington Monument and especially the Capitol didn't look better than they did.  The White House is better, but not any where as good as what you have.  

1 minute ago, Jeff_M said:

That looks much more realistic than mine.  I was fairly stunned that the Washington Monument and especially the Capitol didn't look better than they did.  The White House is better, but not any where as good as what you have.  

It almost sounds like you have not gone to the content manager and "installed" the world update for USA.   I know MSFS can be whacky to say the least, but even after MSFS is finished "installing"....you may still have to go into content manager and install the world updates, as what you describe about the Washington Monument sounds like with the default, 1st ever version of DC looked like.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

45 minutes ago, Jeff_M said:

As Steve Dra said, go to Content Manager and download the World Update for USA.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

3 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

As Steve Dra said, go to Content Manager and download the World Update for USA.

As well, be sure it completes and says Installed per all items downloaded.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

@Jeff_M the sim's world updates are not that intuitive for someone just starting out.  I went probably 8-10 months, maybe a year (!) into MSFS before I realized that I needed to go to Content Manager and actually initiate a download of one or more World Updates.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

21 hours ago, Jeff_M said:

This is with all settings on Ultra, no less.

That is your problem. 

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

16 hours ago, sluihn said:

Also developer just released version 1.2 for washington scenery.  Might help with fps.

Good Luck

Steve

Where did you see this update? I just went to the in-sim Marketplace and, on my machine at least, there was no update available.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.