Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Propeller Spinning Graphic

I recently went for a scenic flight in a Cessna 172 and sat in the front' right seat. As we slowly taxied along the runway to take off I could see the spinning propeller through the windshield somewhat similar to what it looks like in Flight Sim.  However, once the throttle was advanced  to takeoff  speed  and  then at cruise only a faint arc from the outer edge of the blades could be detected and the main prop was practically invisible.

In Flight Sim the spinning prop appears visible and unrealistic when the throttle is advanced to full. In the Flight Sim 152 and 172 the graphic changes very little from taxi through takeoff when it should be at full throttle and changes very little while at cruise when only a faint arc should be seen.  I have the A2A 172 for Prepar3d and they have it pretty close to the real thing.  I thought they would have adjusted this in the new FS2020 version but apparently not. I saw a post suggesting a switch to turn off the visible blades to just the hub as a quick fix.  Is this possible or can the speed of the blades be adjusted in the config file? The props in FS2020 twin aircraft spin somewhat unrealistically also but are no problem through the front windshield obviously since the props are to the sides... If an adjustment for higher rpm situations such as takeoff and cruise settings could be made would make a huge difference. We already have the taxi and landing prop speeds.

I've read on these boards that this is intentional. What was previously said was that flight Sims have, historically, taken the cinematic liberty of modeling how moving props look on film, as opposed to through eyes.

That's just what I've seen explained here, anyway.

Edited by WestAir
  • Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I agree to the OP that the original animation is nasty. There are even several variants of realistic propeller animations at flightsim.to, the one I still use for several planes is more than a year old.

https://flightsim.to/file/3412/10-propeller-mods-for-the-fs2020-standard-edition

https://flightsim.to/file/3623/6-propeller-mods-for-the-fs2020-premium-deluxe-edition

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks for the replies guys.  It's good to see that I'm not the only one who sees this. It simply comes down to the prop animations are unrealistic in higher RPM situations such as takeoff and cruise settings. We can use the slower animations for taxi, ,landing, and idle situations.

WestAir is right. We aren't trying to simulate the playback of a video recording of a flight where you will see awkward views of the prop due to the limitations of video playback rather than the actual flight itself.     Tom 

Edited by Flaps30

Thanks Belga for your help.

Does this mod work with the new 2020 version?     

14 hours ago, Flaps30 said:

What do you mean with "the new 2020 version"?

1 hour ago, -Belga- said:

What do you mean with "the new 2020 version"?

I think he means the latest sim update.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

21 hours ago, Flaps30 said:

Haven't tried all the different planes, but what I have tried worked really well in the current version of MSFS2020 (v1.23.12)

Works OK without VR also.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

On 3/22/2022 at 10:40 AM, Flaps30 said:

Thanks Belga for your help.

Works in sim update 8.

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

Sorry guys for not wording what I was referring to clearly.  Cianpars is right..

I was referring to the new Flight Sim 2020 rather than FSX, Prepar3d, etc.

Edited by Flaps30

2 hours ago, Flaps30 said:

I was referring to the new Flight Sim 2020 rather than FSX, Prepar3d, etc.

The link leads to flightsim.to, a page solely dedicated to MSFS. So yes, the mod works in MSFS.

Hi Belga,

Your prop mod looks great. I'm not that technically inclined. How is it installed?

13 hours ago, Flaps30 said:

Hi Belga,

Your prop mod looks great. I'm not that technically inclined. How is it installed?

Like 99% of addons for MSFS, just unzip and drop into your Community Folder (or whichever folder you have created for addons if you use Addons Linker)

(Note that it was created by @BufordTX who posted above😉 ).

Edited by 109Sqn
typo
  • Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)