Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

And a River Runs Through it...

One of my very favorite movies and I just watched it again on TCM this evening.

I love the fly fishing scenes for fly fishing is an art form and this movie describes it as such perfectly.

Like the Mclean boys in the movie I learned the art from my father.  And I took to it naturally.  I was unable to pass it on to my children but I was able to pass it on to my grandson.

Fly fishing is a lot like flying.  It's almost a religion to those who relish it.  I cannot tell you which I like better; wading a river with a flyrod in my hand or flying a Cherokee with a yoke in my hand.  I suppose I like the one I am now doing the best.

But, alas, those days are gone for me.  I can no longer fly an airplane and I can no longer wade a river with a flyrod in my hand.

The last line in the movie is and in the book, I think, is, "I am haunted by waters".  I am also haunted by waters and I am also haunted by sky.

There is an old Arab saying that say the time spent fishing is not deducted from a man's allotted time on earth.  I spent a lot of time fishing.

As I was writing this it dawned on me the best things in life start with a 'F'.

I love to flyfish

I love to fly

I love to (word not allowed)

Burma Shave

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Noel, I lived in Denver for 39yrs. I fly fished the streams, mainly on the front range, almost every fishable weekend. The North St Vrain, The Big Thompson, and The Poudre mostly. Once every Spring, before the runoff, I would spend a weekend on the East and Taylor rivers, by Gunnison. In the Fall, I would fish the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork for three days during the peak Fall color. We would stay in Aspen and gorge ourselves at the Chart House. In the earlier years we went to Trappers Lake in late June for 4 days and fished it and the three inlets. We caught many Cutthroats 12-18"!  95 percent of the time I fished nymphs. I learned very early on that nymphs are 80% of a trout's diet. I always caught fish. I dreamt about fishing at night. I had to give up fly fishing about 10yrs ago, at 74. My balance took a hike and I started falling down. You know how slippery those rocks are! My eyesight deteriorated as well. Many memorable days on the water!

Bruce

56 minutes ago, brucets said:

I had to give up fly fishing about 10yrs ago, at 74. My balance took a hike and I started falling down

I lasted a bit longer than you did Bruce.  We did a float trip on the San Juan in northern New Mexico.  We fished from the boat but also got out and waded in several places.  I had taught my wife how to fly fish too.

When I lived in Denver I liked to fish the streams up in South Park.  Sometimes I would drive up to Chatfield and hike up the canyon a couple of miles and fish there.  We were also back packers and would hike up into the Indian Peaks area to fish and camp overnight.  That was before it was designated a wilderness area and became a magnet for hikers all over the state.

Wyoming was our summer vacation destination.  The Green River was a favorite and a float down the Madison was an adventure for big trout, 2-3-4 pounds.  All catch and release.

Ever hangout at Anglers All in Littleton?  I knew Jim Poor quite well.  I used to buy all my fly tying equipment from him.

My pride and joy was a split bamboo cane rod from Orvis.  It was a magnificent rod.  It now belongs to my grandson.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Noel, I think I fished South Park once out of Fairplay on the South Platte. I fished the North Platte around Saratoga, WY once. One time I was a guest at the (private) Wigwam Club, upstream from Deckers and caught a huge number of 2-4lb trout in 3hrs. It was too easy!

I moved to Littleton, from Northglenn, in 1970 and started buying all my tackle at Jim Poor's, Angler's All. I visited with him on several occasions. I was in DEN last Sept looking at senior living places and we drove by Angler's All. It's still there!!! 50yrs or more!

I never had a bamboo rod. I started out on 7ft Fenwick glass rods, and I thought they were terrific for $30. I later upgraded to 7.5ft Sage & Orvis rods. I always used hip boots. Never had waders. I preferred fishing small to midsized streams so I could fish either side.

Bruce

Noel, here's a vid of one of my last days of fishing. My nephew who is an insane outdoor guy, bow hunter and taxidermist (does work for Cabela's) Has a college friend, Jody, who owns Troublesome Creek Ranch up by Kremmling. There are 3 stock/irrigation ponds on it plus Troublesome Creek. We went up there in early April about 2013. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel. The stream was normal fishing, but we caught a lot of fish in it as well.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!As2fh2Zk--gpjB8awXL8_2P-3a9u?e=eUeV3w

Bruce