Sign in to follow this  
thecanarian

AH2 and MSFS across a network with SimConnect

Hi,

I understand that MSFS natively initialises SimConnect or am I mistaken ? Has anyone activated SimConnect for use across a network to use 3rd party software on client PCs ? How different is installing it on MSFS from installing it on FSX (which was a pain) ?

I haven't been successful yet in using 3rd party software across a network but the glaring exception of LittleNavMap proves it can be done, albeit with their own LittleNavConnect plug-in. 

An idiots guide to initialising SimConnect with MSFS would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

I haven't had any luck with getting AH2 to work across the network. Maybe someone will come along with the secret.

I did this a while ago for an app of mine, so I assume that the same rules apply here. On the AxisAndOhs Weebly website, at the bottom of the DOWNLOADS page, there is a ZIP with instructions about how to configure SimConnect remote access. Downloads - AXIS AND OHS (weebly.com)

The deciding factor about what you have to do is the SimConnect client version that the app has been built with, that you are running on the remote computer. If it is a native MSFS app, you only have to get the config files right on server and client. If it is a legacy/FSX app, you will have to install the FSX SimConnect client on the remote computer that belongs to the FSX version that this app has been compiled for. Only the developer of that app can tell you if it has been compiled with the current MSFS libraries or if it still uses the legacy ones (and if that is the case, what client version you need - most likely FSX SP2 XPACK). In many cases you will read advice like "just install all of them". You can find the SimConnect client installers for example in the SDK folder of FSX-SE and in the \redist folder of P3D. Edit: native P3D SimConnect apps also don't require a client install - but they can also only talk to P3D!

And you have to set up network security correctly on both computers (AV and firewalls) so the communication itself can get through. That can be quite annoying.

All this is assuming that AH doesn't require access to any local folders of the sim, like scenery, aircraft configurations or saved files. If that is the case, you would have to make that happen with remote network drives and symlinks. 

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

4 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

I did this a while ago for an app of mine, so I assume that the same rules apply here. On the AxisAndOhs Weebly website, at the bottom of the DOWNLOADS page, there is a ZIP with instructions about how to configure SimConnect remote access. Downloads - AXIS AND OHS (weebly.com)

The deciding factor about what you have to do is the SimConnect client version that the app has been built with, that you are running on the remote computer. If it is a native MSFS app, you only have to get the config files right on server and client. If it is a legacy/FSX app, you will have to install the FSX SimConnect client on the remote computer that belongs to the FSX version that this app has been compiled for. Only the developer of that app can tell you if it has been compiled with the current MSFS libraries or if it still uses the legacy ones (and if that is the case, what client version you need - most likely FSX SP2 XPACK). In many cases you will read advice like "just install all of them". You can find the SimConnect client installers for example in the SDK folder of FSX-SE and in the \redist folder of P3D. Edit: native P3D SimConnect apps also don't require a client install - but they can also only talk to P3D!

And you have to set up network security correctly on both computers (AV and firewalls) so the communication itself can get through. That can be quite annoying.

All this is assuming that AH doesn't require access to any local folders of the sim, like scenery, aircraft configurations or saved files. If that is the case, you would have to make that happen with remote network drives and symlinks. 

Thank you for the info. AAO and another tool is working fine across the network.  For AH2 , I had to place a copy of the SimConnect.cfg  in the root folder if AH2. Now it also will work across the network.

Thank you very much Lorby_SI. The tweak to the SimConnect.xml worked a treat. My AH2 MSFS is now fully functional working across my network and I'm a very happy bunny.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, thecanarian said:

Thank you very much Lorby_SI. The tweak to the SimConnect.xml worked a treat. My AH2 MSFS is now fully functional working across my network and I'm a very happy bunny.

Thanks again

OK thecanarian, how about you make the idiots guide now, cause I have no clue ;). Would love to run a few apps on a client computer!

Hi Dutch1

Work your way through these two Understanding the Network Module and SimConnect (Part 1) - YouTube  and Understanding the Network Module and SimConnect (Part 2) - YouTube because you still need this stuff on the client PCs. Then go to the Lorby_SI link above and modify the simconnect.xml file in the MSFS folder on the server/host PC.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:58 AM, Lorby_SI said:

Hello Sir,

I've followed your instructions, and didn't have success with this app:

TOD Calculator & Pause » Microsoft Flight Simulator

Some help I would be appreciated,

Thanks

Carlos

1pc:WIN11/64, MSFS,PF3,TRacKir5,SPAD Next,FSUIPC 7,GSX
I7-12700KF/32Gb DDR4 3600MHz/ASUS ROG 2070 SUPER OC/GEKOGS105/Alpha Flight Control/CH throttle,Ped/SAITEK InstR/Radio Panel
2pc:WIN10 LNM,remote text program,pf3 display

On simconnect.xml, just modified the first entry from local to global, and start working.

Thanks for your instructions,

Carlos

1pc:WIN11/64, MSFS,PF3,TRacKir5,SPAD Next,FSUIPC 7,GSX
I7-12700KF/32Gb DDR4 3600MHz/ASUS ROG 2070 SUPER OC/GEKOGS105/Alpha Flight Control/CH throttle,Ped/SAITEK InstR/Radio Panel
2pc:WIN10 LNM,remote text program,pf3 display

On 3/22/2022 at 3:57 PM, thecanarian said:

Hi Dutch1

Work your way through these two Understanding the Network Module and SimConnect (Part 1) - YouTube  and Understanding the Network Module and SimConnect (Part 2) - YouTube because you still need this stuff on the client PCs. Then go to the Lorby_SI link above and modify the simconnect.xml file in the MSFS folder on the server/host PC.

These links aren't working.

Any chance ?

Thnx