Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Track IR

I'm curious for those of you that use Track IR, do you find it very useful when flying airliners or is it primarily a VFR type tool... I can't think of too many situations in IFR where i would need it but thought I would see what you all use it for when flying an airliner.  Thanks!

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Mostly flying A32NX, would not fly without it. No matter what flight deck or cockpit you are sitting in, or at what altitude you might be flying at, it adds a level of immersion that no little hat switch on a joystick can ever match.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I won't fly without it. Even in an airliner it's nice being able to look around quickly. I only fly the FBW A32NX (when it comes to airliners) and while I do use preset views (overhead, EFB, MCDU) whenever I need to spend more time anywhere during preflight nothing beats using TrackIR like for instance after take off when I quickly have to change lights, gear, flaps, radio, etc. The idea of having to do all that while using mouse look or presets... No, thank you! Also quick changes like landing lights and signs off at 10.000 ft, removing the cups in the FWB, glancing around during taxi, starting the APU after landing, turning anti ice on, configuring the AP, arming the spoilers, checking the overhead... Man, I really won't fly without TrackIR! It certainly isn't a VFR type tool!!! (Besides, enjoying the scenery while flying an airliner is also fun and a lot easier to do with TrackIR!) 

• Like 3

TrackIR is not a VFR or IFR tool. It's a flight sim tool. You can use it however you like! I even have some car racing sims that it works in as well.

I would never fly without it.

Edited by PWJT8D

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

45 minutes ago, PWJT8D said:

TrackIR is not a VFR or IFR tool. It's a flight sim tool. You can use it however you like! I even have some car racing sims that it works in as well.

I think I misworded that... I didn't mean a VFR tool, I mean a flightsim tool that would be more useful when flying VFR.   Maybe I'll give it a try

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Agreed, once you get used to it, it's difficult to be without, in any type of simming. 

To clarify, I mean head or face tracking in general. There are many solutions these days; Track IR is definitely not the only game in town. I use a track IR light clip on my headset with the free Open Track software and it's perfect, even for merged dogfights in DCS.  There is a cellphone app that can be used for face tracking that's very cheap and supposedly very good... so this doesn't have to be an expensive investment.  But even if it was..  I still think it's worth it. 

• Like 1

Andrew Crowley

I can't use MSFS without TrackIR. Im not sure how people who don't use any tracking software actually use the simulation. With a mouse? Anyways, get TrackIR. 100% It wakes it so much more immersive and makes it infinitely easier to interact with the contact. It's awesome when you're on approach just to quickly glance out the window. It's an invaluable tool.

1 hour ago, RaptyrOne said:

Mostly flying A32NX, would not fly without it. No matter what flight deck or cockpit you are sitting in, or at what altitude you might be flying at, it adds a level of immersion that no little hat switch on a joystick can ever match.

Agreed!

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

I've used TrackIR for years. I currently use TrackIR5 and have the camera mounted on a Tripod behind me which I think is the only way to use it with a big screen.

Bottom line it is Excellent. I did for a stint use a Samsung Odyssey+ but after a while you start to feel like you are looking out of a motor cycle helmet and I think your

brain figures out that its not real and even though you are getting different images in each eye its starts to look flat. Could be just me. Anyway I went back to TrackIR

and I'm a lot happier with that than VR.

It can be a PITA to setup as finding a good camera position and eliminating light sources is a pain, however once you get it working you cannot fly without it.

I even find myself trying to look around in movies by turning my head sometimes.

Note - if you do buy it use the Seth profile as a starting point, it makes a huge difference over default  ...

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/download/file.php?id=61&sid=ab07b682d2ca7c33a23bddfe94f4d0dc

3 minutes ago, anitelite said:

Hi Glenn

Can you check your link for the profile ?  I'm not able to make it work.

Thanks !

Jim

check your download folder. I beat its in there.

1 hour ago, PWJT8D said:

This.  Occasionally I'll pause the camera if a clickspot is tiny bit otherwise mines on for every flight.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

26 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

It can be a PITA to setup as finding a good camera position and eliminating light sources is a pain, however once you get it working you cannot fly without it.

I even find myself trying to look around in movies by turning my head sometimes.

Note - if you do buy it use the Seth profile as a starting point, it makes a huge difference over default  ...

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/download/file.php?id=61&sid=ab07b682d2ca7c33a23bddfe94f4d0dc

Hmmm! I put that XML in my profile folder but It doesn't show up in drop down on the TrackIR5 GUI

3 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

Hmmm! I put that XML in my profile folder but It doesn't show up in drop down on the TrackIR5 GUI

I wanna say it has to go elsewhere now.  It uses to be profiles but it might be like Users your profile name in C drive.  I'm not at my PC right now

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |