Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Track IR

1 hour ago, Stearmandriver said:

. I use a track IR light clip on my headset 

Can you elaborate on what this is/ where it is?

I have TrackIR 4 and got disgusted by the apparatus -- I had it attached to my headset as well, but it never attached properly and kept falling off.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

19 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

I wanna say it has to go elsewhere now.  It uses to be profiles but it might be like Users your profile name in C drive.  I'm not at my PC right now

No, its definitely in the right folder. The other profiles are in that folder too.

I use the track clip on the baseball cap but since the camera is behind me I ware it arm wrestling style!😁

• Like 1

The default profile location used to be C:\Users\[User.Name]\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles I think it is still there.

I use the track clip as well,  but found the baseball cap interfered when I looked up so attach it to the top of my headset instead.  I actually mount the camera on a pedestal at the bottom of the screen.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

37 minutes ago, Mace said:

Can you elaborate on what this is/ where it is?

I have TrackIR 4 and got disgusted by the apparatus -- I had it attached to my headset as well, but it never attached properly and kept falling off.

I likely am calling it the wrong thing; it was given to me, I didn't purchase it myself. It doesn't look quite like anything I can find for sale now from Track IR or Delanclip, but it's that idea: just a black plastic holder with 3 LEDs mounted in it, and powered by a USB plug.  I just taped it to my headset. I am not fancy ;).  I use it with a PS3 Eye webcam with an IR filter, and Open Track.  Works great. I have to think any of the TrackIR or Delan options would work about the same. 

Andrew Crowley

Here is another that swears by TrackIR...I will not fly without it no matter if I am flying a bush plane or an airliner. In MSFS I fly the CRJ and the DC-6 a lot and it is invaluable. Another feature that I did not see anyone else mention is that depth perception/zoom in/out feature. In addition to being able to look wherever you want quickly, you can also move your head a little closer to the screen and it will zoom in as you get closer. So, for example, you are making a change in your FMS while in flight, you can easily look down at the FMS and move your head a little closer to see more detail, just as you would do in your car, or in a real cockpit. I have been using TrackIR in various forms for over 10 years now and could not fly without it period.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

3 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

In addition to being able to look wherever you want quickly, you can also move your head a little closer to the screen and it will zoom in as you get closer.

Great point and one that I also forgot to mention. I'm curious to how people that don't use TrackIR get around and interact with the cockpit, especially when you're in a critical part of flight. 

1 hour ago, Bdub22 said:

Great point and one that I also forgot to mention. I'm curious to how people that don't use TrackIR get around and interact with the cockpit, especially when you're in a critical part of flight. 

Mouse look or apparently they often use camera views.

The only reason I know this is the amount of whining on the main forums about the default camera views in some addons.

Like others I can't fly without it. Have had it since TIR 2, using TIR5 now been using it that long & having been a RW pilot one area I find it really shines is when flying a circuit. So easy to keep your eye on the threshold to time your base turn. Even bigger iron do circuits at some airports at least here in Australia although RNAV/VNAV is phasing a lot of that out I guess. Great tool!!

• Like 1

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

18 minutes ago, Rossco said:

. So easy to keep your eye on the threshold to time your base turn.

Not just when to turn - being able to keep an eye on the threshold as you fly base also lets you know if your rate of descent is on track.

I use the following which is wireless...

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

3 hours ago, udidwht said:

I use the following which is wireless...

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/

Might be an interesting replacement for my (also custommade) Wireless Trackclip Pro.
Too bad they don't have a rechargable version. Is replacing the battery easy to do?

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

9 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

Flying a normal approach, downwind, base, final without track IR is impossible for me. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

TrackIR is also great for other games, like Euro Truck Simulator 2 (or racing games which I can't handle anymore unfortunately). Can't do without it. I remember playing the MSFS-beta when there was no TIR-support yet: felt like I had been in a terrible car accident and my neck was fixated with a metal spine. Awful. I sometimes forget to start TIR and I notice it's not working within a split second. Immediately. A few years ago my TRI 4 had broken somehow and I ordered a new one (TIR 5) the very same day. It's a bit expensive (back then there were fewer alternatives) but I would have bought it even if it had cost me twice as much. As I said, can't do without it. Seriously.

Can't / won't fly without it and that's been true for years and years. I've talked to people who didn't like it and it almost always is due to them not taking some (enough) time to experiment with getting a good profile setup. There are baseline setups included that can be modified and there are quite a few on the net from other users sharing theirs. To the new user - make sure you set up a "center view" button that is easy to access with your hardware. Mine is the trigger on my joystick. Yes, if your setup is perfect you probably won't need to center view that often but in reality, you will so make it convenient. And as others have mentioned I have an easy to access "pause view" which coupled with the FS zoom function you can easily get a nice stable, tight view on whatever you're getting at - FMS, radios etc.. That said, I still set up at least one custom view usually for the FMS which is simply more convenient when entering a lot of data like a flight plan.

When my current TIR gives up the ghost, I will take a hard look at the Tobii head / eye tracking system. It's more expensive than TIR but there are what looks to be significant advantages and advancements vs. the TIR - not to mention that no hat or headset clip is required.

$0.02. Hope it helps someone in the decision making process...

Edited by dihedral

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
i9-9900K - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra Gaming - 32GB DDR4 3200 - EVGA Z390 FTW - Windows 10 Pro