Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Track IR

Don't have a stick in the way, I have two logitech panels and a class echo mounted on my desk that cover up to the lower bezel of my monitor from my viewpoint (not the screen, just the bezel). Tobii must be mounted below the monitor according to them which means it's a no starter for me. TrackIR can be mounted above, below, to the side of the monitor (and as someone pointed out even behind you) to fit your needs. While it may be a decades old platform, it just works (and works very well at that). No need to spend more money on a competing product that has short commings of it's own and may work worse than trackir when I already have such a great solution in TrackIR.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

James

2 hours ago, Phantoms said:

Don't have a stick in the way, I have two logitech panels and a class echo mounted on my desk that cover up to the lower bezel of my monitor from my viewpoint (not the screen, just the bezel). Tobii must be mounted below the monitor according to them which means it's a no starter for me. TrackIR can be mounted above, below, to the side of the monitor (and as someone pointed out even behind you) to fit your needs. While it may be a decades old platform, it just works (and works very well at that). No need to spend more money on a competing product that has short commings of it's own and may work worse than trackir when I already have such a great solution in TrackIR.

nobody either stated that are asked you to do that, but "thanks"!?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I seriously looked at Tobii as a possible replacement for my TrackIR setup. I already said earlier in this thread that my TrackIR setup works great for me they way I have it setup. I do NOT have to wear a hat of any kind, or clip a wired sensor to my headphones. I do have a wireless IR transmitter that I wear on a headband (an old headlamp stretchy band). Works great. But, in the interest of progress and possibly not having to wear even that on my head, I DID check out Tobii. The biggest thing that turned me off from Tobii, at least for now, is not having 6 DOF. I use my TrackIR to look closer at several things in my virtual cockpit, and last I looked, Tobii does not allow that. So, for me, that was a show stopper. If they can add that, I might consider Tobii again in the near future. Still, there is nothing at all wrong with my TrackIR setup.

I should also add that I use a Samsung G9 super ultra wide monitor, so that is a consideration as well.

Edited by sniper31
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

20 minutes ago, CombatCustard said:

nobody either stated that are asked you to do that, but "thanks"!?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But that fact has nothing to do with this is a thread about TrackIR and people pop in talking about Tobii either, now does it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So expect when people do that there will then be comparisons to shortcomings of both. Tobii definitely has a shortcoming in it's mounting placement for some, whether that affects you or not. To you it may be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ while to others it may be (⩺︷⩹)

• Like 1

James

17 minutes ago, vbazillio said:

I share the same position as Sniper31! Didn't even know about Tobii before seeing it in an MSFS release notes. The 6DOF lacking feature in a no-go on Tobii for me as well.

Tobii has 6 DOF support in FS2020

16 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

But that fact has nothing to do with this is a thread about TrackIR and people pop in talking about Tobii either, now does it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Original poster dude does not have TrackIR, alternatives were offered for the sake of openness and unity among the people. So much dust.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CombatCustard said:

Exactly! - and it works great!

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

1 hour ago, CombatCustard said:

22 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

Exactly! - and it works great!

That is nice to know, because a few weeks or month ago when I saw the first review video from a streamer about the Tobii, I researched it more on the Tobii website. I read where it said they did not have the 6 DOF yet. I am guessing that maybe they just made it to work? If so, then I will look into it more in the next few weeks. Would you happen to know if the Tobii will work good with a Samsung Odyssey 49" G9? That would be my last obstacle to over come.  

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

2 hours ago, sniper31 said:

That is nice to know, because a few weeks or month ago when I saw the first review video from a streamer about the Tobii, I researched it more on the Tobii website. I read where it said they did not have the 6 DOF yet. I am guessing that maybe they just made it to work? If so, then I will look into it more in the next few weeks. Would you happen to know if the Tobii will work good with a Samsung Odyssey 49" G9? That would be my last obstacle to over come.  

I think the device has always had 6DOF but FS2020 just didn't support it, they turned it on with SU8 and the config options are in the control menu. Not sure about that extreme level of Ultrawide but I think the only limitation would be on your ability to lean extreme left or right, rotation and forward back should not be affected. 34" I don't have any issues with range of motion or accuracy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CombatCustard said:

I think the device has always had 6DOF but FS2020 just didn't support it, they turned it on with SU8 and the config options are in the control menu. Not sure about that extreme level of Ultrawide but I think the only limitation would be on your ability to lean extreme left or right, rotation and forward back should not be affected. 34" I don't have any issues with range of motion or accuracy.

Okay, thanks for the information. The SU8 update might be right. 

13 hours ago, sniper31 said:

Would you happen to know if the Tobii will work good with a Samsung Odyssey 49" G9? That would be my last obstacle to over come.  

I have the same monitor. Works fine for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

I have the same monitor. Works fine for me.

Thanks, good to know!