Sign in to follow this  
Muwarr90

Goose and Widgeon

I own the Flysimware Widgeon, which I really enjoy flying. The new Big Radials Goose looks a really well-done plane. But they both fit into pretty much the same niche.

Any input from those who own both? Are they enough different (Pretty subjective, I know) to make picking up the second one if you own the other? Is there much of a difference in their handling?

Please don't turn this into thread bashing one or the other producer. They both should be proud of their work.

• Like 1

I have both and love them both. I think the Big Radials bird is worth having. The sounds are great, the visual fidelity is better than the Widgeon, and your engine will go up in flames if you abuse it. There is a LOVELY Bush Trip included that took me 8 hours to complete (and they are working on more for inclusion later). You can't go wrong with that bird. It's also one of the best birds in the sim in terms of trimming and hand-flying. Also, it handles itself in water properly, gets up on the step, etc. 

Goose faster... flies further, in this case you have more navitation tools and 'candy' features too...

Comes down to preference of which Grummand amphibian you like... To me, that means both 😄 Cos seaplane best plane.

I'm pretty sure I will love the Dornier flying boat that is coming tomorrow. The Wal was Dornier's great sales success for passengers and freight, and the vehicle of choice for most of the voyages of explorations. I am thinking of buying "A Light Coming Over the Sea" that Jorg held up 2 Q&A's ago.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The Widgeon is in the Cessna 172 RG range in terms of performance (though much heavier) whereas the Goose is more like the Cessna c206 getting up towards the Caravan in capability. It is faster, takes more passengers and can carry more cargo. However the Widgeon has more range and is more nimble and is easier to toss around.  

Both are fine and probably different enough to own both, especially if you pick them up on special.

In game, both are well modelled. The Widgeon is period cockpit, the Goose has a "hidden" set of modern avionics.

Where you might really see a difference is flying in one of the virtual economies.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

I like how the hidden Goose 'tablet' looks like steam punk !

It slides up from a slot on the floor.

spacer.png

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The Goose will make a great addition beside my Widgeon.

I have to have both!

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2