Sign in to follow this  
WestAir

I broke W11

Hey guys. I'm about to smash my new $6k PC with a hammer.

Everything was running fine, then today whenever I tried to star MSFS it would close during loading. After a 3 hour complete re-install, it loaded, then I installed FSUIPC, FBWA320, FS2CREW, and AIG and same thing - it closed during loading. In troubleshooting, I tried to delete the .exe file but had to change permissions. I changed all the AppData permissions to /administrator and gave everything full access.

And then every application went bonkers. I can't start XBOX Gaming Service, I can't start the Windows Store. I can't go into Windows Defender. All of these apps just instantly close the moment they start to load. So I selected the C drive and tried to change every single permission back to SYSTEM, and got a bunch of permission errors and now I'm stuck and frustrated. I did not plan to spend my entire day off ruining my new build, but here I am.

Do I have to just completely do a fresh reinstall of Windows 11, now? Secondary question: What is with PC's nowadays having 11 different types of users (Administrator, USER, SYSTEM, LOCAL, blah blah) and 20,000 hidden directories. It's so convoluted how could you not mess it all up when trying to troubleshoot smaller problems? 🙄

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Could you try a system restore first ?

Bill Davis

• Like 1

Go into the command prompt and type: sfc /scannow. Sometimes this helps.

• Like 1

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

28 minutes ago, wwdavis said:

Could you try a system restore first ?

Bill Davis

Hey Bill, I only just built this PC together. I was planning on making my first restore point after MSFS was set up and running how I wanted. Now I know that was a dumb idea.

21 minutes ago, troyboy66 said:

Go into the command prompt and type: sfc /scannow. Sometimes this helps.

It came back "windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." 😕

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

I can't start XBOX Gaming Service, I can't start the Windows Store.

I've seen this many times before. Try repairing both and if that doesn't work, reset them. This has worked for me countless times and never deletes any apps.

GOTO: Start/settings/Apps/installed Apps. Then search for both apps  then try to repair or reset both.

https://ibb.co/TWM5ScN

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

@WestAir I normally roll out this suggestion for when MSFS won't update (and similar issues) but I recommend trying it here too:

Download the Win 11 Media Creation Tool by clicking on "Download Tool Now" and follow the instructions the tool gives, making sure to select the option to retain your files and apps. This doesn't wipe Windows or delete anything, it's actually a repair rather than installation tool when used this way. It might just reset whatever is causing you problems. 

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

17 hours ago, troyboy66 said:

I've seen this many times before. Try repairing both and if that doesn't work, reset them. This has worked for me countless times and never deletes any apps.

GOTO: Start/settings/Apps/installed Apps. Then search for both apps  then try to repair or reset both.

https://ibb.co/TWM5ScN

So I tried this, but same thing as Windows Defender and everything else, it starts up - but it just closes right away.

14 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

@WestAir I normally roll out this suggestion for when MSFS won't update (and similar issues) but I recommend trying it here too:

Download the Win 11 Media Creation Tool by clicking on "Download Tool Now" and follow the instructions the tool gives, making sure to select the option to retain your files and apps. This doesn't wipe Windows or delete anything, it's actually a repair rather than installation tool when used this way. It might just reset whatever is causing you problems. 

Gave this a whirl, did some fen-dangling with new Admin user account, and I'm back in business!

Thanks you guys!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

Gave this a whirl, did some fen-dangling with new Admin user account, and I'm back in business!

Thanks you guys!

I wish I got commission every time this works!😁 Glad you're back up and running.

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

West Air: 

Can you please give us your system specs - I'm curious to see what costs 6k? 

I'm thinking of getting a pre-built high-end gaming PC soon. (My current gaming PC was pre-built in late 2015 from CyberpowerPC).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, overspeed3 said:

West Air: 

Can you please give us your system specs - I'm curious to see what costs 6k? 

I'm thinking of getting a pre-built high-end gaming PC soon. (My current gaming PC was pre-built in late 2015 from CyberpowerPC).

MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Formula
FANS: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB PRO
AIO: ASUS ROG Ryujin II 360
CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KF
SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2TB (3x - One for C drive, one for D drive, one for E drive)
PSU: ASUS ROG Thor 1200w
GPU: GIGABYTE Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5

ACCESSORIES:
CASE: CORSAIR iCUE 7000X ATX
FLIGHT CONTROLS: Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Pack
CPU THERMAL PASTE: CORSAIR TM30 Paste
VELCRO CORD TIES: Velcro One-Wrap Cable Ties
MOUSE: Rayden Gaming Mouse

EDIT: I am running MSFS at the maximum settings possible, with edits to increase cockpit shadow clarity. The CPU/GPU run between 40 to 55c at JFK, with max traffic, during thunderstorms, in the FB2 A320. I've never had this smooth of an experience with Flight Sim. Couldn't be happier.

Edited by WestAir

On 4/8/2022 at 11:44 AM, G-RFRY said:

From the above: "Home users with Microsoft Defender switched on are unlikely to need it urgently".

As long as that holds true, I'll not be worried.