Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mikced76

This Static Aircraft norm at payware airports needs to go

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I dont write here often despite having had this hobby now for for almost 30 years and beeing a AVSIM member for I dont know how long. Anyway, I just felt I needed to ventilate a subject that have grown to annoy me a bit with MSFS and its payware addons. The issue I have is static aircraft! Why do payware developers insist on adding them. At least back in P3D and FSX days many develpers made them optional. It suddenly with the introduction of MSFS seem to be some sort of norm and so magically difficult to accomodate the customer to get rid of. One payware developer replied to me on why they had static aircraft "becasue I like them". Hard to argue of course with this logic,... his airport his option but again why not make it optional then. As simple as a bgl to deactivate. It wouldnt need to be a whole installation application. 

Not only do they occupy space at terminals but I dare argue that not a single VATSIM user want them (correct me if I am wrong). In addition AI Traffic options are endless and they move which is more than I can say about the clunky often ugly airplane...ish looking objects at the airports.   

AIG, Simple Traffic and default GA there are so many options free and pay (for the folks flying offline).

Please addon developers rethink the static aircraft approach.

Edited by mikced76
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. I think mostly it came from there not being any real traffic addon before AIG, and maybe some devs want statics for their product screenshots (can't use AIG without permission). But yeah, just put a toggle there to turn them off (some devs already implemented that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wholeheartedly agree with what @Fiorentoni said... They came to be in large part because there were no 'realworld' AI solutions, but now that we have the likes of AIG, please include an option to turn the statics off. I personally find them rather annoying, though I realize some like them and might want to keep them.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contact the payware devs directly and request for them to implement static aircraft install options like LatinVFR and FSDreamTeam has.

  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or better yet, have it as a selectable option in MSFS. This could set a variable that addons could read.
It will never happen off course but it seems like a good idea.

  • Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, mikced76 said:

I dont write here often despite having had this hobby now for for almost 30 years and beeing a AVSIM member for I dont know how long. Anyway, I just felt I needed to ventilate a subject that have grown to annoy me a bit with MSFS and its payware addons. The issue I have is static aircraft! Why do payware developers insist on adding them. At least back in P3D and FSX days many develpers made them optional. It suddenly with the introduction of MSFS seem to be some sort of norm and so magically difficult to accomodate the customer to get rid of. One payware developer replied to me on why they had static aircraft "becasue I like them". Hard to argue of course with this logic,... his airport his option but again why not make it optional then. As simple as a bgl to deactivate. It wouldnt need to be a whole installation application. 

Not only do they occupy space at terminals but I dare argue that not a single VATSIM user want them (correct me if I am wrong). In addition AI Traffic options are endless and they move which is more than I can say about the clunky often ugly airplane...ish looking objects at the airports.   

AIG, Simple Traffic and default GA there are so many options free and pay (for the folks flying offline).

Please addon developers rethink the static aircraft approach.

you can only have one version of your addon on the marketplace, only around 9% of msfs users fly on a online network, 

Edited by steve 86

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes true but those 9% are probably long time dedicated flight simmers and I bet these 9% spend much more on addons than the 91% 😃 majority of flight simmers and especially more than newcombers. So although not in majority they are a strong consumer group.

In addition I bet many non VATSIM and IVAO user dont want static aircraft either.

Edited by mikced76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I want them gone, not because of IVAO/VATSIM, but for offline/live AI use.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree, they had their place before there were viable AI addons but thankfully we’re past that point now.


Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490, i9 10900k, RTX2080ti, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, VirtualFly Ruddo+ and TQ6+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are situations it makes sense.

In the case of airports with museums I do like the vintage aircraft scattered about. I was actually hoping Shell harbour in the Aussie update would have the Super Continental parked on the apron that you often see there.

Also with smaller regional airports you are never going to see the correct regional jet in the correct regional colours so in those cases static aircraft are justified.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

There are situations it makes sense.

In the case of airports with museums I do like the vintage aircraft scattered about. I was actually hoping Shell harbour in the Aussie update would have the Super Continental parked on the apron that you often see there.

Also with smaller regional airports you are never going to see the correct regional jet in the correct regional colours so in those cases static aircraft are justified.

AIG has a lot of regional jets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like them... you don't end up with 20 of the latest addon you installed parked at the airport, they look nice, add variety, and have WAY lower performance impact on your sim than ai aircraft.. (not everyone likes AI) Personally to me, I quite enjoy the ambiance they add.

I honestly like it, and its been a super common things since fsx tbh.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darn Tootin'


"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, AvAngel said:

I like them... you don't end up with 20 of the latest addon you installed parked at the airport, they look nice, add variety, and have WAY lower performance impact on your sim than ai aircraft.. (not everyone likes AI) Personally to me, I quite enjoy the ambiance they add.

I honestly like it, and its been a super common things since fsx tbh.

You know you can disable addon planes from spawning as AI?

Usually in the aircraft.cfg file there will be an entry that looks like this.

isAirTraffic = 1 ; airtraffic flag for variations "change the 1s to 0s for all the planes you don't want spawning as ai"

It's pretty much the first thing I do after installing a new plane.

 


Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t  buy airports with statics. They are annoying and useless


Lukas Dalton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...