Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

New airflow visualizations and soft body physics in SU9/SU10

I thought this deserved its own separate topic from the Q&A thread.  So according to the Twitch Q&A yesterday, there will be even more CFD and airflow visualizations, including updrafts, downdrafts, and thermal visualizations, and even soft body physics coming in SU9 and SU10!  This is the video that Seb showed: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1434438816?t=00h33m09s

You can even see there is a new stall debugger with the visualization of forces on the wings in this video that Seb showed.  And the visualizations of the how the air is circulating in the area the plane is flying, including updrafts, downdrafts, and thermals, that is all new and coming in SU9 and SU10.  And the soft body physics that Seb showed is also very interesting.  The flight model physics and the physics of how air circulates in the world is getting more advanced in MSFS.  I can't wait for these features to show up in SU9 and SU10!

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 18
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Really love the work going into the flight modeling and visualization of forces.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot
  • Like 4

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

2 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

the physics of how air circulates in the world is getting more advanced in MSFS

In this area of simulation, it's getting more advanced than any flight simulator ever, at least for those available for general public!

The horizontal air flow is already there. Now the much awaited vertical flow (e.g. convective  flow).

What about in-cloud (e.g. CBs) vertical flow in the future? And microburts?
... because if you know how to compute the air flow in such advanced way, you have the foundation for more and more.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Emerson67 said:

In this area of simulation, it's getting more advanced than any flight simulator ever, at least for those available for general public!

The horizontal air flow is already there. Now the much awaited vertical flow (e.g. convective  flow).

... because if you know how to compute the air flow in such advanced way, you have the foundation for more and more.

These things are already available and refined for years in other simulators open to "the general public" 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

These things are already available and refined for years in other simulators open to "the general public" 🙂

Simulating the air flow vectors from colder vicinity areas to higher temperature areas, and then upward, in real time?

• Like 5

at Faro I saw ( too late 😉 ) a visual guidance system?! was that available before or newly introduced with WU8?

spacer.png

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

1 hour ago, Emerson67 said:

Oh nice!  It's good to know that MSFS is the most advanced flight simulator in this particular area of simulation!

I think after Microsoft/Asobo implements these changes in SU9 and SU10, we should push them further on microbursts and advancing the air flow in clouds.  Let's bring this up as a question in the Twitch Q&A in the future, after these changes are completed in SU9 and SU10!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

7 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

The flight model physics and the physics of how air circulates in the world is getting more advanced in MSFS.  I can't wait for these features to show up in SU9 and SU10!

Yup all these improvements coming to support gliders and helicopters definitely serves to benefit other kinds of aircraft, and the new world airflow visualizations and dev/viz tools for stall, weight-distribution, and forces are really cool.  Quite honestly they should just keep giving Seb most of the floor time for future Q&As as I'd like him to do more deep-dives on these areas of MSFS.

I guess the Cessna 172 will be the "reference" default aircraft that takes advantage of the propeller physics and CFD improvements >= SU9. Hopefully the upcoming 3rd party GA and tubeliners can take advantage of these features, especially the soft-body physics for the bigger birds as that's where it'll play more of a factor. Have a feeling all the big pending 3PD releases are waiting on SU9 at a minimum before releasing.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 6

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, mtaxp said:

Not True. 

• Like 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, DAD said:

at Faro I saw ( too late 😉 ) a visual guidance system?! was that available before or newly introduced with WU8?

spacer.png

Does it change based on camera distance or actual plane distance? Like zoom in and out or use the drone cam to fly towards it and see if it changes.

Some third parties have been doing camera based VDGS for a while, it is nothing new. There a freeware third party plugin in now that some are using that is based on nose gear position.

Edited by Tuskin38

Simulating the air flow vectors from colder vicinity areas to higher temperature areas, and then upward, in real time?

I'm talking about effects such as microbursts that you mentioned and other gliders related data visualising wind flow that you can see in this q&a.

I must admit i'm having some hard time grapsing what you mean by "in real time" compared to what can be set through a menu/real word weather and generally a basic airflow behavior compared to "baked in" effects that I saw with MSFS that do add some immersion of "flying through wind" although much less accurate.

I will not proceed this here due to obvious reasons and the nature around here these days but i'm more than happy to continue this discussion in private, let's all be good kids shall we 🙂

Edited by mtaxp

I'm very critic of any flight simulation platform.

I embraced FSX/P3d and X-Plane long ago, diverted to Combat Flightsims due to their more detailled aerodynamics and systems / damage models, but you will always find me complaining about any of the platforms (*) and, if required, comparing it to the other - that's the only way we can actually suggest changes, having either RL or another sim as a reference.

But the way I have been gathering insight into what Sebastien / ASOBO are planning to implement in ffuture SIM updates is trully an incentive to make me expect the best out of MFS.

At the very same time I am also expecting the best out of XP12 and whatever Austin has added to it's already great flight dynamics model. 

At least in the virtual World of Flight Simulation the Future is Bright !

(*) Example just yesterday 🙂 Effect of the Me 109 propwash tuning on takeoffs ... ( ? ) - General Discussion - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum (il2sturmovik.com)

and

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/77884-effect-of-the-me-109-propwash-tuning-on-takeoffs/?do=findComment&comment=1176596

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

To be honest that sounds like another opportunity to screw up a running system, like they did with the weather. I mean yes we need that for realism, but anything Asobo touched in regards to weather and wind has gone horribly wrong so far... well hope dies last.

13 minutes ago, jcomm said:

But the way I have been gathering insight into what Sebastien / ASOBO are planning to implement in ffuture SIM updates is trully an incentive to make me expect the best out of MFS

BTW, take a time to explore the developer mode, the aircraft editor  You'll enjoy. Lots of stuff there. You can see the forces in real time (as X-Plane), see several charts drawn in real-time, etc. as you edit flight_model.cfg externally, then apply changes almost immediately. It's a pretty decent tool. I've been tweaking and improving flight models from 3rd-party I found not convincing at all. You'll be suprised how many commercial 3rd-party do not actually adheres to MSFS modern flight model philosophy. They are still FSX under the hood. That's why many of them fly atrociously and users blame the simulator.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DAD said:

These are static, they always say Stop.