Sign in to follow this  
Blueline308

simMarket now requiring we install an app to get updates !

This is awful.  I do not trust them enough to install a program from them in order to just get updates.  I only bought Bijan Seasons from them because I thought they were shady...now I can't even get updates it seems.

• Upvote 2

Not only to get updates - but to download any product in the first place. I find this borderline illegal, too, but I already bought a lot of stuff at Simmarket (those that one cannot find anywhere else) so I have no choice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've never had this many installers for a game, ever, aside the standard Steam for the game I've already got (at least) 3 on the go before this one.

I don't actually mind them myself as they "do a job", but I'm gonna wait for this one to mature a bit I think before I dive in and install it.

• Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

11 minutes ago, Blueline308 said:

This is awful.

You log on to their website or log in to an app - I don't get what the problem is.  I have been using the SimMarket app since they released it - no problem whatsoever.

10 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

I find this borderline illegal

Eh?

• Like 6

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I have been using this app for the past two months now without any problem whatsoever. The advantages are that you do not need to log into your site account to be informed about updates and download them straightaway, browse through promotions by category. I found this app extremely easy to use, at least as simple as Contrail, ORBX, FSDreamteam, Flightbeam and Aerosoft among others. I really cannot think of a negative impact on what I own (Simmarket client since 2003...). Incidentally Simmarket is one of the few sending emails (if you wish), to inform you about updates, so you can skip that checking yourself and save some time.

The obvious problem is that the more suppliers, the more apps we need to run to check if there are updates and that can be tedious, but was it any easier before when we had to log in on each site, browse through our products to check if it had been updated?

Perhaps Fiorentoni could enlighten us about the "borderline" illegal aspect of this?

• Like 5

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

21 minutes ago, Blueline308 said:

This is awful.  I do not trust them enough to install a program from them in order to just get updates.  I only bought Bijan Seasons from them because I thought they were shady...now I can't even get updates it seems.

Let me know when you get to 100 purchases. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I like the app. Works well to keep my purchases updated. Oh well, different strokes.

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

Since this topic doesn't specify MSFS 2020, Just simMarket, Hangar Chat is where this belongs.

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

It's just as easy to use as the ORBX, Contrail, or FSDT ap. Once you receive the update available email, you open ap, search for the order, and download update. So easy!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

21 minutes ago, Blueline308 said:

Logging into a website does not require one to install who knows what code on one's machine.

Then don't use it and continue to use their website. Don't think their website is going anywhere.  The App is just another option. Its nice to have choices. You have to put some trust in the programs you use, otherwise, your computer will be very limited. 

Been using the app since release. I have been using Simmarket for many years, with 102 orders dating back to 2008

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

I just checked and on my account it does not allow me to download products anymore without installing the app, so it seems to be the only option (at least for me). 

The big issue for me is I don't want any more apps.  I've got the MS app, and the Orbx app.  This will be #3 for me.  How long before I have 4 or more things launching on my PC every time I start?  I only buy a few sceneries from Simmarket, so it isn't critical that I keep them updated.  They rarely update anyway.  The website was just easier for me. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

The Simmarket app does not run in the background like orbx.  Just open... browse... buy...update....  rinse and repeat when you want the latest.  And then close the App that easy.  For many simmarket has been a great service.. i can even still to this day download any FS2004/FS9  add ons i bought no extra charge...  if i ever wanted to go back in time.

YMMV

Steve

35 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:

The big issue for me is I don't want any more apps.  I've got the MS app, and the Orbx app

Three apps is a big issue for you, seriously?

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, Blueline308 said:

Logging into a website does not require one to install who knows what code on one's machine.

Good grief, It is SimMarket - I have yet to hear anything bad about their practices.

• Like 2