Sign in to follow this  
SuperKaro2014

Automatic region detection?

Hi, maybe it has been suggested before, but would you consider adding an option for automatic region detection?

I am not a programmer, but something tells me it should be fairly straightforward given that the player clearly identifies e.g. the airport you are tuned to... all the necessary info must be in the sql database?

BR Søren

... oh, and great with all the recent clip updates 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

Hi, maybe it has been suggested before, but would you consider adding an option for automatic region detection?

I am not a programmer, but something tells me it should be fairly straightforward given that the player clearly identifies e.g. the airport you are tuned to... all the necessary info must be in the sql database?

BR Søren

... oh, and great with all the recent clip updates 👍🏻

It is actually easy but the real issue is that when you get into large regions like Europe and Asia what you really want is to get down to the country. We have that data in the clips but the clip collection is still fairly sparse by country. Part of the reason for that is that the feeds on LiveATC.net are not all good quality in every country so the volunteers tend to find a good feed in a region and then they collect a lot of clips from that one location.

I add the ability to select clips by country / ICAO code in X-ATC-Chatter but I'm not sure how much it is getting used. We can certainly consider adding that to FS-ATC-Chatter but I fear it won't be great until we can get better clip coverage in each country.

By the way, if you are interested in helping collect clips visit this page:

https://www.stickandrudderstudios.com/x-atc-chatter-project/

Mark

• Like 2

Hi and thanks for the reply... agree that ultimately it would be great to have it work by country.

But as you say, the availability of clips will be a severely limiting factor for some countries.

... I would be very happy with just the big regions for starters. 🙂

BR Søren