Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

Switching from P3D—what do I need?

There are some good aircraft otw so I’m getting ready to move over. Guess I’ll need to buy a weather engine and some airports. How about mesh and other scenery addons? 

• Like 1

You do not need to buy anything as the base MSFS has live weather, very good default airports and worldwide mesh - the quality of default scenery is far higher than sims before it like P3d.  Of course, there are plenty of addons for it, but default MSFS surpasses a modded P3d.

• Like 9

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

6 minutes ago, Fatback said:

There are some good aircraft otw so I’m getting ready to move over. Guess I’ll need to buy a weather engine and some airports. How about mesh and other scenery addons? 

You  need a sense of adventure and discovery. The only real addons you need to start with is the FBW A32NX. The rest is pretty darn good out of the box.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

An ultra-fast Internet connection will help. 😉

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Download and install it and then take some time to fly and explore it for a while. As has been said, MSFS has very good worldwide mesh and good quality lighting, shading and scenery. And, it is updated regularly. Once you have a sense of the sim, there are a lot of scenery add-ons that you can purchase but MSFS does not require the same kind of expenditure and managing of multiple third party add-ons as other sims. There are already some really good quality add-on aircraft available and as you said a good number more on the way.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Dan Scott

One big difference in terms of addons between P3D and MSFS is the plethora of high quality freeware that is available for MSFS.  The FBW A320N as mentioned above is incredible as it the Working Title CJ4 mod.

I’d suggest spending some time looking around flightsim.to to see what’s available for free.  There’s certainly lots of good payware to choose from too.

• Like 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

12 minutes ago, Fatback said:

It can’t be that easy lol. Can it?

Yes it can. Start with the default stock MSFS. Get the FBW for free. And start roaming the new world. And wait for the other great aircraft otw

• Like 5

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

20 minutes ago, Fatback said:

It can’t be that easy lol. Can it?

Well....yes it can....and you don’t need ‘ultra fast’ internet nor a state of the art pc.

I don’t have either.

😉

• Like 8

"...what do I need?"

AS others have mentioned (Fast internet by @Ray Proudfoot, FBW A320 by several, and signup (for free) at flightsim.to as @regis9 mentions)....then...

One week of uninterrupted time to read through these and other MSFS forums to catch up on what you've missed (and alot of it was slightly panful as MSFS updates have matured since the original release...you've been spared that) 

You could spend that whole week just browsing thru flightsim.to with thousands of free mods (some ok, some trash, but a lot almost payware quality and a very few better than payware).  You'll wan to get an account because once you start downloading there, it will keep track of your downloads for you automatically, and quickly show which are up to date and ones needed updating...very, very slick site and the one site to know if you only had to have one for MSFS.)

One mod that will also be invaluable (available on flgithsim.to coincidentally) is a good addon manager...there are several out there. 

• Like 8

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Flybywire A32NX

Working Title Citation CJ4

Working Title G3000

Working Title G3X

Download the Working Title G1000 NXi for free in the MSFS in game marketplace

Flightsim.to is great for managing all of your freeware add-ons like scenery, aircraft and liveries.

Toolbar Pushback

I would also recommend a seasons add-on. There are two to choose from, Bijan Seasons and REX AccuSeason. As to not clog up this thread with a war on which one I own or which one I think you should own or what other people think, do your own research, plenty of info out there on these two packages.

This is a good list that I think gets you plenty of depth into MSFS. Of course once you get used to the sim, go nuts. Plenty of great payware aircraft and airports out there that you are used to from P3D. And some really great aircraft on the near horizon as well. 

• Like 3

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?