Sign in to follow this  
mkuma

MSFS 2020 Videos On Youtube - Is It Legal?

8 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

If it's not legal then there are thousands of other games on youtube and twitch that would also be illegal.  And it's free advertising for them too.

One may also remember that many companies, including Microsoft, give away not only free games but also free equipment to Youtubers to have them showcase products.

In fact, I remember quite a bit of angst here regarding the unworthiness of numerous Youtube influencers being given tons of expensive equipment when MSFS was on short final.... 🛬

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Either the gaming companies can pay Advertisers to do advertising for them , or YouTubers can get paid by YouTube to do advertising for gaming companies without them getting involved. Seems to me that this is a great scenario for the gaming companies

Majority of my Steam purchases are researched on these sort of channels before I buy

Matthew Kane

32 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

One may also remember that many companies, including Microsoft, give away not only free games but also free equipment to Youtubers to have them showcase products.

Considering how much money Microsoft saved JUST with two E3 shows canceled due to the pandemic, that expense was really nothing. 

Paying Youtubers or YouTube ads, is one of the cheapset advertising there is.

For some reason this reminds me of filming the Eiffel Tower at night. Apparently it's legal, but even if you're in a public space and you film it and make money with your footage, it's some type of copyright infringement. You need to get prior permission.

But as far as simming goes, I think you can screen record almost anything, other than it might be slander if you purposely portray some product unfairly in a bad light.

Mainly I'm amazed that the top flight sim videos on Youtube get so few views and subscribers compared to some of the other seemingly meaningless stuff on that platform, like somebody throwing rocks into a pond.

While I do think it is very shortsighted for a video game company to try to shut down people streaming video from games on Twitch or YouTube, the reality is, copyrights laws do technically give them the right to do so in some jurisdictions. It has certainly been a problem with other game publishers and developers over the years. Although I think a big part of that is the game company wanting a cut of any profits generated, more than wanting to outright stop it.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/27/the-emerging-legal-battle-over-video-game-streaming-rights/

It's been so long go that I forgot the details.  But at one time when MS was the only game in town one of the airlines (TWA or AA???) forbid the use of it's livery on simulator airliners.  Do any of you remember that?

Noel.

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

45 minutes ago, birdguy said:

It's been so long go that I forgot the details.  But at one time when MS was the only game in town one of the airlines (TWA or AA???) forbid the use of it's livery on simulator airliners.  Do any of you remember that?

Noel.

I recall something like that, but it has become quite immaterial now, has it not?  Neither is even representative of what they each were in the day....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

13 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

There is nothing in the MSFS EULA that prohibits it.

What's with those cloud reflections on water and weird small cloud puffs Gerard?  🙂 

Cheers, Rob.

Welcome to the wonderful world of popcorn clouds when there are clear skies ….. 🧐

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

10 hours ago, birdguy said:

Noel.

Peter Tishma and American Airlines. 

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Peter Tishma and American Airlines. 

Right you are Fr Bill.  Peter Tishma and American Airlines.  That was so long ago.  Two of my best internet friends from those days are gone now.  Jesse Callahan and Cpt Bala.  Both have been guests in my home.  Capt Bala and I stayed up all night the weekend he was here talking about his experience flying MIG when h was in the Indian Air Force and the UFO encounter he had over the Assma Vally.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I know that game devs have the right to remove gameplay from youtube - some companies, famously nintendo, fiercely pursue legal action (DMCA takedowns) on their soundtracks (for example).

But gameplay is fine - it's news if a company decides to take action against a youtuber. I can't remember it ever happening, and the reason is - like other said here - it's free advertising. It doesn't matter how much gameplay it is - by virtue of being an interactive medium, games aren't like video, you get different enjoyment out of playing it versus watching it. Especially since watching games being played makes you now want to play it.

Even games that specifically request to not record gameplay - like Getting Over It, for example - don't pursue legal action, as it would a) result in less popularity and b) result in an absolute PR nightmare.

Tl:dr: Can they? Yes. Will they? No.