Sign in to follow this  
Scimiter

DC Designs Concorde on sale.

Some of you might be interested in this diagram I created many years ago when testing the decel and descent procedure into JFK from LHR. I was flying the FS Labs 32-bit Concorde but the numbers are based on an actual Concorde flight.

In all these tests no weather was injected into the sim. Instead I altered only the air temperature as Concorde's performance is so dependent on it. It was adjusted to create an ISA DEV ranging from -20C to +15C.

The test starts at 57nm before KENDA. In all, eight test flights were flown with the throttles retarded at the same point in all 8. The target was to reach OWENZ at 14,000ft.

As you can see only one test achieved this with the ISA DEV temp at 0C. The higher the temp the quicker Concorde descended. Conversly, the colder air caused a less rapid descent. The opposite of what happens during the climb.

In the most extreme tests she was either 9000ft too high or reached 14,000ft way before OWENZ.

If you're at a loose end save a flight 100nm before KENDA and note the ISA DEV. See how close you get to these numbers. The relevant waypoints are along the bottom with altitudes on the vertical axis. Mach 1 was generally reached at 72W.

Concorde_DescentProfileByTemp.png

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm curious why there's been no discussion on the DCD Concorde for several months. Are you enjoying the experience?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think most simmers interested on the Concorde here on Avsim will just wait for the Fslabs MSFS version. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Generally speaking, the absence of criticism is usually a good indicator if people are "enjoying the experience". People with issues tend to take the issues to the public more than people not having issues.

That is of course only true if criticism is not suppressed, but I'm fairly certain it isn't in this case here.

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

@rka, yes, I could go along with that but it's a complicated aircraft and more difficult to fly than your average aircraft. I suppose they could be waiting for the FSL version but a complete lack of discussion suggests to me many may have given up on it as being too difficult to master.

There have been no posts since mine last August so nothing suppressed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

38 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

I think most simmers interested on the Concorde here on Avsim will just wait for the Fslabs MSFS version. 

Is the Concorde really coming now from Fslabs for MSFS ?  Or is that just an unconfirmed assumption?

I am not realy behind that information..

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

The last info from FSL was a Q1 2023 release for the P3D version. Nothing about the MSFS version.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, pmplayer said:

Is the Concorde really coming now from Fslabs for MSFS ?  Or is that just an unconfirmed assumption?

I am not realy behind that information..

cheers 😉

Yes, it is confirmed. P3D will come first, though. 

• Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

11 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@rka, yes, I could go along with that but it's a complicated aircraft and more difficult to fly than your average aircraft. I suppose they could be waiting for the FSL version but a complete lack of discussion suggests to me many may have given up on it as being too difficult to master.

There have been no posts since mine last August so nothing suppressed.

It has pretty good ratings in the ingame store (and a pretty large number of ratings too), so it seems to work for the target audience. Not sure if it has that much overlap in target audience with the FSL one though. Probably not.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Typically people are more vocal when unhappy than happy.  There are also so many new aircraft to fly and frankly the Concorde was always quite niche and even more so now it is a retired airframe...  

Jumping to "people giving up because it's too difficult to master" seems a bit of a leap to me it could just be they are happy or using other aircraft more frequently.  

As for Q1, I must have missed that, the last update from December I saw from FSL didn't mention a timeline for either sim:

https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/topic/32502-concorde-first-look/

Also interesting is they say the VC has already been designed for MSFS so hopefully the transition to MSFS for FSL is shorter than the original development for P3D which has been ongoing for a number of years now... 

Onto our brand-new virtual cockpit, designed from the ground up especially for P3Dv5 and MSFS. Each instrument has been built using high-definition texturing and includes dynamic lighting that reacts to both ambient lighting and any of the various lighting systems on the aircraft.

Fingers crossed the MSFS version comes quickly for those wanting to use it in this platform... 

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

40 minutes ago, rka said:

It has pretty good ratings in the ingame store (and a pretty large number of ratings too), so it seems to work for the target audience. Not sure if it has that much overlap in target audience with the FSL one though. Probably not.

I just wonder what routes they’re flying. Surely not just LHR-JFK and the return. Variety is the spice of life. I have lots of big airports <100 miles from the coast so there are plenty of places to fly to.

I agree the real enthusiasts are biding their time.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

25 minutes ago, psolk said:

As for Q1, I must have missed that, the last update from December I saw from FSL didn't mention a timeline for either sim:

Buried in a discussion… https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/topic/32322-previews/?do=findComment&comment=256361

25 minutes ago, psolk said:

Jumping to "people giving up because it's too difficult to master" seems a bit of a leap to me it could just be they are happy or using other aircraft more frequently.  

I’m guessing you’ve never flown Concorde. It has a completely different flight profile to your standard Boeing / Airbus. Autopilot is completely different so there’s a steep learning curve to mastering it. Otherwise it will end in tears.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Buried in a discussion… https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/topic/32322-previews/?do=findComment&comment=256361

I’m guessing you’ve never flown Concorde. It has a completely different flight profile to your standard Boeing / Airbus. Autopilot is completely different so there’s a steep learning curve to mastering it. Otherwise it will end in tears.

Can't see that as I don't have access but if Andrew said Q1 then it should be out in the next 8 weeks which is quite exciting after the wait. 

No, that would be an incorrect guess.  I have flown it in numerous sim iterations I was just saying that deducing that there isn't a lot of discussion on it because it's too difficult to master is a rather large leap with no foundation in its basis.  It's not like there were a lot of posts about it "being too complicated"  

There could be lot's of other reasons there isn't much discussion including the most obvious, those who bought it are enjoying it or the lesser attractive option that there just wasn't a lot of demand for a simulated Concorde... Hence my comment about it being niche.  

Lots of alternative reasons for a lack of discussion outside it's too hard to learn.  That is all I am saying. 

What is your impression of the Concorde in MSFS? (Loaded question we all know you don't use MSFS 🙂 )  

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

49 minutes ago, psolk said:

No, that would be an incorrect guess.  I have flown it in numerous sim iterations I was just saying that deducing that there isn't a lot of discussion on it because it's too difficult to master is a rather large leap with no foundation in its basis.  It's not like there were a lot of posts about it "being too complicated"  

It's an educated guess not an incorrect one. Let's see if anyone who has bought it jumps into the discussion. Which sims have you flown it in? Which do you consider the best? What was your learning curve like? Did you handle fuel or leave that to the VFE?

51 minutes ago, psolk said:

There could be lot's of other reasons there isn't much discussion including the most obvious, those who bought it are enjoying it or the lesser attractive option that there just wasn't a lot of demand for a simulated Concorde... Hence my comment about it being niche.  

If you're enjoying something it's natural to want to talk about it. Not all posts here are complaints about things that don't work. And given we're now on page 30 there was clearly a lot of interest.

53 minutes ago, psolk said:

What is your impression of the Concorde in MSFS? (Loaded question we all know you don't use MSFS

I've not seen or used it but with the developer saying it was a slimmed-down version it's hard to evaluate. If it could reach FL437 at Mach 1.7 with the reheats just having been switched off and then achieve Mach 2 at FL500 it's doing the basic things well.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm curious why there's been no discussion on the DCD Concorde for several months. Are you enjoying the experience?

The problem is there have been no substantive updates for several months. I know there were changes made to the fuel pump logic in one of the sim updates, I think SU9, and the dev hasn’t been able to get the fuel system to work exactly as it should since then. There have been some hotfix updates to the Concorde to keep it working somewhat but I can’t get all the trim tank fuel pumps to work correctly anymore. So the end result is this aircraft is indefinitely stowed away in the hangar. There are too many better aircraft to fly now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1