Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

Wing42 Boeing 247D released!

22 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

I think the guys who actually flew these in real life would laugh their heads off at that comment

Thats why they piled into the ground.

November 9, 1933
A Pacific Air Transport 247, NC13345 (c/n 1727), crashed on takeoff after the pilot became disoriented in fog and low visibility; four of ten on board died

So any flight longer than 20 minutes ends up with engine fire. I'm totally clueless what is wrong.

I'm using SAE30 oil which seems fit temperature range. Do through preflight including checking oil quantity and etc. I warm up oil temps before take off . I manage power, watch my carb, engine and oil temperatures according manual and recommendations. I avoid shock cooling on descent. Yes something is still wrong. Very odd

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

What will cause the Gear Warning lights to be lit ?

I have still to see them turn on.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

Just now, Wothan said:

What will cause the Gear Warning lights to be lit ?

I have still to see them turn on.

Low throttle with gear up...

3 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

So any flight longer than 20 minutes ends up with engine fire. I'm totally clueless what is wrong.

I'm using SAE30 oil which seems fit temperature range. Do through preflight including checking oil quantity and etc. I warm up oil temps before take off . I manage power, watch my carb, engine and oil temperatures according manual and recommendations. I avoid shock cooling on descent. Yes something is still wrong. Very odd

I have yet to have an engine fire, so I am not sure what's up...maybe contact Wing42, could be a bug or maybe a hardware conflict?

15 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Also watch RPM?
Below 2100 after takeoff

CHT also ok?

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 minutes ago, guenseli said:

Also watch RPM?
Below 2100 after takeoff

CHT also ok?

Yes and yes. Usually I cruise at 28'' 2000 RPM

Also for some reason I can only keep carb temp above 100 by applying full carb heat.

I will try to restart sim and completely change oil and then fly again. See what gives!

At first my longest flights were right about 20 minutes before the engines would start losing power, resulting in several dead stick landings. By the end of the weekend my longest flight was 2.5 hours, after finally figuring it out that I had to keep an eye constantly on the oil pressure. As per the in-cockpit clip board I tried to keep the oil pressure between 75psi to 100psi, using adjustments to the oil shutters and the carb heat. This worked really, but I do agree with some comments that the oil temp seemed pretty low most of the time hovering just above 40. 

On that last 2.5 hour flight there was a panic moment when I wasn't paying attention and the oil temps dropped enough for the oil pressure to bury the needle at 120+. I kept expecting engine failure, but by putting the oil shutters full closed and the carb heater on full, eventually the oil temp heated up enough to drop the psi back down into safe range with no apparent ill effect on the engines. 

Forest

Edited by FAC257
  • Like 1

Anyone having problems? I cannot get it to load into the sim, it just stalls.

Disregard: the first time it took forever to load but now it loads ok.

Edited by warbirds

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

8 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Anyone having problems? I cannot get it to load into the sim, it just stalls.

Disregard: the first time it took forever to load but now it loads ok.

Yes this is a phenomenon for any aircraft not built on MSFS native code. 1st time it loads it takes forever...then its fine.

Sadly this also applies when beta builds get updated and you reload the aircraft into MSFS. 🤪

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

7 hours ago, Stoopy said:

If you've ever used a pair of vice-grips as a shifter knob, you know what I mean.

I resemble that remark. Yeah, the mixture/etc stuff was always kinda second nature to me because I grew up with cars that didn't have automatic chokes or electronic fuel trim. I even got the altitude leaning almost instinctively because as a kid, our house was on top of a mountain and I remember Dad had to pick whether the car ran like junk up in the neighborhood or down in town. Lotta backfires in those days.

I have to say, this is a very impressive piece of work here. Even the manual has fantastic detail. The section where it talks about the radium gauges, then goes into the history of the factory women who painted the dials that's impressive detail!  Awhile back I read a book called The Radium Girls which detailed how they'd keep their paint brush points sharp by twirling it between their lips, which of course later gave them horrible diseases including their bones essentially dissolving. When they died, some were so radioactive that they had to be buried in lead-lined vaults.  

I thought of those women the minute the instructions pointed out that they were radium dials - it was very cool to then see that historical nod in the manual.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, eslader said:

I resemble that remark. Yeah, the mixture/etc stuff was always kinda second nature to me because I grew up with cars that didn't have automatic chokes or electronic fuel trim. I even got the altitude leaning almost instinctively because as a kid, our house was on top of a mountain and I remember Dad had to pick whether the car ran like junk up in the neighborhood or down in town. Lotta backfires in those days.

I have to say, this is a very impressive piece of work here. Even the manual has fantastic detail. The section where it talks about the radium gauges, then goes into the history of the factory women who painted the dials that's impressive detail!  Awhile back I read a book called The Radium Girls which detailed how they'd keep their paint brush points sharp by twirling it between their lips, which of course later gave them horrible diseases including their bones essentially dissolving. When they died, some were so radioactive that they had to be buried in lead-lined vaults.  

I thought of those women the minute the instructions pointed out that they were radium dials - it was very cool to then see that historical nod in the manual.

Thankfully any potential negative effects of long term exposure to radium dials are not modelled in the sim.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

are not modelled in the sim

Are you sure? 🙂

• Like 1

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester