Sign in to follow this  
LGKR

NVIDIA scaling - smoother and better fps

I have enabled the recently introduced Scaling functionality in the NVIDIA Control Panel with the latest NVIDIA GPU driver 512.15.

I thought I would share my findings.

To my surprise the results are very good. Higher FPS and more smooth sim everywhere I fly.  I now have much smoother sim over big cities and in big airports.

I just enabled scaling and turned off sharpening. I have not made any changes to any setting in P3D. I run 3x4k  tvs at 26 Hz.

Would be great to know if anyone else is having any luck with the NVIDIA scaling, as I think it actually works.

LGKR, knowing your video card at a minimum would be nice. I believe a lot of the older Nvidia cards may not find any benefit from the updated drivers, as the underlying technology may not be able to support them.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

31 minutes ago, Howellerman said:

LGKR, knowing your video card at a minimum would be nice. I believe a lot of the older Nvidia cards may not find any benefit from the updated drivers, as the underlying technology may not be able to support them.

Which is true. I believe a RTX 30 series GPU is a minumum. I have a RTX3090.

Still too expensive , iam hanging on a while longer 

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

On my 3080ti/1440p system, no FPS increase and it makes the desktop and other apps run at the scaled resolution so not great. DSR would be nice.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

On my 3080ti/1440p system, no FPS increase and it makes the desktop and other apps run at the scaled resolution so not great. DSR would be nice.

My old 1080 doesn't even look at it. No use at all.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

35 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Same experience here on a 2080 Super/1440 res monitor.  The downside you mentioned makes the feature not worthwhile for me.

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

Same experience here on a 2080 Super/1440 res monitor.  The downside you mentioned makes the feature not worthwhile for me.

I thought it only scaled apps/games that were purposefully run at a lower resolution than the desktop/system?

I left the desktop at 4k and turned MSFS down to 1440P and 1080P allowing Nvidia scaling to scale the output back up to 4K.

It ran a lot better than native 4k, but I couldn't really tell the difference from running the in-sim resolution scaler.

Edited by Dazzlercee23

7 hours ago, LGKR said:

I have enabled the recently introduced Scaling functionality in the NVIDIA Control Panel with the latest NVIDIA GPU driver 512.15.

I thought I would share my findings.

To my surprise the results are very good. Higher FPS and more smooth sim everywhere I fly.  I now have much smoother sim over big cities and in big airports.

I just enabled scaling and turned off sharpening. I have not made any changes to any setting in P3D. I run 3x4k  tvs at 26 Hz.

Would be great to know if anyone else is having any luck with the NVIDIA scaling, as I think it actually works.

Could you please share your settings too?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, CaptKornDog said:

Are you running full screen or windowed mode?

Full screen here.

1 hour ago, Dazzlercee23 said:

I thought it only scaled apps/games that were purposefully run at a lower resolution than the desktop/system?

Indeed, I set my resolution in the sim to 1920x1080 (same aspect ratio as my monitor)... didn't make a difference.  I checked both GPU usage and CPU usage in MSI Afterburner thru several test flights and saw no difference.

1 hour ago, Dazzlercee23 said:

Are you running full screen or windowed mode?

I tested in P3Dv5.3 HF2 only.

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

Full screen here.

Indeed, I set my resolution in the sim to 1920x1080 (same aspect ratio as my monitor)... didn't make a difference.  I checked both GPU usage and CPU usage in MSI Afterburner thru several test flights and saw no difference.

Full screen mode here also.

I also thought you'd have to reduce in-sim screen esolution, but on my system I have set the in-sim resolution to 4k same as the tvs. The improvement in fps/smoothness was instant.

When testing you need to enable the overlay in the menu to see that scaling is active - the overlay is in green  colour when scaling is active.

8 minutes ago, LGKR said:

Full screen mode here also.

I also thought you'd have to reduce in-sim screen esolution, but on my system I have set the in-sim resolution to 4k same as the tvs. The improvement in fps/smoothness was instant.

When testing you need to enable the overlay in the menu to see that scaling is active - the overlay is in green  colour when scaling is active.

But you do have to lower your screen resolution for it to do anything, so this makes zero sense. Sounds like a placebo tbh. 

As i have understood from NVIDIA, with the scaling feature of the RTX drivers set to active, the frames and pixels of a game are rendered with a lower resolution internally by the GPU tensor cores. The pixels left out are then upfilled by the DL algorythms to upscale the Frames to the target resolution set in the game. This speeds up the renderprocess significantly.  Because the GPU is demanding less pixelinformations from the CPU and can faster render each frame and pixel.

I have just read an article in a famous PC-games magazine where they explained how it works and tested the feature and affirm it works very well and boost up renderperformance. And it´s getting better over time because of the ongoing evolving better DL algorythms at NVIDIA and provide them with driverupdates.

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif