Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Taxiway signage - very nice addon

This is a quality addon - everyone should give it a try - it dims the nuclear yellow taxiway signs  you can barely read in the evening.  Now....if the taxiway signs would match real airports all the time hehe...

https://flightsim.to/file/30487/too-bright-taxiway-sign-fix

Here's two views for you

51990320535_4edf2db26b_k.jpgtaxisignday by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

51988762562_89102eb136_k.jpgtaxisignnight by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

• Like 12

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Looks good, even the day time appearance is far more realistic than default. Thanks for the heads up.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

15 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Now....if the taxiway signs would match real airports all the time hehe...

Just Flight Real Taxiways USA takes care of that.  Pricey, though, at $39.99.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

3 hours ago, richbonneau said:

Just Flight Real Taxiways USA takes care of that.  

Yes I like it also. I fly on Pilotedge and often in VR. Accurate taxi sign is really interesting. 

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

This is something Asobo should of took care of but unfortunately hasn't. The only downside to the mod is it has to replace a file in the official folders. Keeping up with all the official files that need to be changed after each update or patch is going to become a big headache with all the stuff that can only be changed that way.

• Upvote 1

James

6 hours ago, richbonneau said:

Just Flight Real Taxiways USA takes care of that.  Pricey, though, at $39.99.

At many airports the taxiway names do not agree with  real world charts. I understand that this product will update the signage to agree with real world charts.  My question is, Will ATC give you taxi instructions using the real world taxiway names or will their instructions still be based on the incorrect taxiway names? 

Tom

3 hours ago, Phantoms said:

This is something Asobo should of took care of but unfortunately hasn't. The only downside to the mod is it has to replace a file in the official folders. Keeping up with all the official files that need to be changed after each update or patch is going to become a big headache with all the stuff that can only be changed that way.

I believe you should be able to drop it into the Community folder with this path:

{
  "content": [
    {
      "path": "scenery/global/asobo_props/texture/TAXI_SIGN_SYMBOL.PNG.dds",
      "size": 70304056,
      "date": 132934953060000000
    }
  ]
}

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Waiting for some bright spark to replace all default taxi-signs with realistically-sized ones.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Thanks for the tip.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Just need airport terminal lighting at night. 

Edited by VBHB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I believe you should be able to drop it into the Community folder with this path:

Any chance you can give an "idiots" guide to this Bert? I presume this needs a layout and json file?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

You have to replace a file in the MSFS official folder. The folder itself can be a bit tricky to find. After MSFS updates the files are overwritten. From https://flightsim.to/file/30487/too-bright-taxiway-sign-fix:

Installation

0. Download this package and decompress to obtain TAXI_SIGN_SYMBOL.PNG.DDS,

1. Navigate to the directory depending on which edition you installed:

• Microsoft:
    C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages \Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\
  • Steam:
    C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages \Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\
  • or your custom directory if you chose custom installation destination

2. Then continue to Official\steam\fs-base\scenery\global\asobo-props\texture under above,

3. Find default TAXI_SIGN_SYMBOL.PNG.DDS and copy (or rename) it somewhere else so that you can revert installation,

4. And replace TAXI_SIGN_SYMBOL.PNG above with the one included in this package.

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

@Bert Pieke Some of the files are unable to be replaced as a community folder mod that way. I know the file that contains the taxi ribbons in it (...\fs-base\scenery\Global\Asobo_UI) is that way. I'm not sure if the dds file in this taxi sign fix is or not, but the author claimed he tried and it wouldn't work.

James

4 hours ago, Phantoms said:

@Bert Pieke Some of the files are unable to be replaced as a community folder mod that way. I know the file that contains the taxi ribbons in it (...\fs-base\scenery\Global\Asobo_UI) is that way. I'm not sure if the dds file in this taxi sign fix is or not, but the author claimed he tried and it wouldn't work.

I was up past midnight and could get it to work either 😉

Not helped by the fact the original instructions contain a typo which matters..

\scenery\global\asobo-props\texture

should be

\scenery\global\asobo_props\texture

Bert

6 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

• Steam:
    C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages \Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\
  •  

That directory doesn't exist on my Steam install.

Correct path on Steam is = C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base\scenery\Global\Asobo_Props\TEXTURE

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |