Sign in to follow this  
Bernard Ducret

Flysimware Chancellor released (Beta)

9 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

What can be done about the weak braking performance?  It is a real challenge to stay on the runway if I am even a little bit long on the touchdown with 4,000' runway. 

Logon to FSW Discord and post it in the Report Bug section.  Just a heads up I am seeing landing figures from the POH around 4000 ft.  I think that's with a 50 ft obstacle possibly... and probably depending on weight.  I know it can land sooner than that though.  Sure would be nice to have a C414A pilot chime in.

EDIT:  No, the 4000 ft figure is random and incorrect.  It is the 2393 landing roll over a 50 ft obstacle in the POH.  Sometimes I've noticed MSFS is weird with toe brakes vs regular brakes.  I have to tap tap tap them with other planes.  I use Saitek Combat Pro pedals.

https://discord.gg/6bnws3q7

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This may have changed, but keeping flaps down until a landing is fully completed was the norm.

I have been taught by instructors in Europe and Asia (45 years ago!) - when being trained for very short airfields landing and take-off - to keep flaps down until full stop, and this in case you need to go around. Raising your flaps would cancel the possibility to lift off at low speeds and would lead to an accident.

The reverse was also true, when taking off from a short runway - especially with an obstacle clearance on the TO path (like high palm trees in Tioman on the very end of the runway) -, one would lock brakes, apply full throttle and full flaps giving you a short take off run and high climb rate.

The theory that lifting flaps immediately after making ground contact would cancel lift and increase ground friction and breaking effect is certainly a valid one, but it has to be seen within context and certainly cannot be safely applied to short runway operations.

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

That is interesting. I've been also taught max gross braking after landing with flaps up and encouraged to do so by FAA inspector. LOL

Yes, there are a lot of tires with flat spots from braking hard with the flaps down.  😊

Bill  N7IBG     

11 minutes ago, Bill Griffith said:

Yes, there are a lot of tires with flat spots from braking hard with the flaps down.  😊

Usually it because people hold brakes before touching down. That why we scream at student "heals on the floor" LOL

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Just now, sd_flyer said:

Usually it because people hold brakes before touching down. That why we scream at student "heals on the floor" LOL

Quite right. Flat spots on tires has much more to do with improper brake usage than a flap setting. One can put a flat spot on a tire at any flap setting.

1 hour ago, TacomaSailor said:

What can be done about the weak braking performance?  It is a real challenge to stay on the runway if I am even a little bit long on the touchdown with 4,000' runway. 

You can increase the braking performance in the systems.cfg file.

[BRAKES]
parking_brake =1
auto_brakes =0
toe_brakes_scale =0.5

Try 0.7 or more..

Bert

23 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can increase the braking performance in the systems.cfg file.

[BRAKES]
parking_brake =1
auto_brakes =0
toe_brakes_scale =0.5

Try 0.7 or more..

Bert's on it!  Thanks Bert

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The next C414 update should have better braking. My understanding is part of the braking issue had to do with the resulting compression of the nose gear strut under hard braking conditions.

Al

• Like 1

I just bought the plane and noticed it takes off by itself.  Also how do you slow down with flaps and gear its like slowing down the DC-6.  I have to push the nose down to get it to even land or it will just float over the runway.

It is a beautiful plane but it seems still in early beta which I knew but thought it would at least fly decently but its like it has no drag whatsoever.

I tried stalling it and it just wouldn't stall.  Hopefully it will improve over time.

Edited by sgreen91

Sean Green

30 minutes ago, sgreen91 said:

I just bought the plane and noticed it takes off by itself.  Also how do you slow down with flaps and gear its like slowing down the DC-6.  I have to push the nose down to get it to even land or it will just float over the runway.

Earlier versions of the beta did not float....so that is a new phenomenon with the 0.5 beta.

30 minutes ago, sgreen91 said:

It is a beautiful plane but it seems still in early beta which I knew but thought it would at least fly decently but its like it has no drag whatsoever.

I tried stalling it and it just wouldn't stall.  Hopefully it will improve over time.

Since earlier versions of the beta were not floaty I am going to go out on a limb and assume that this will be fixed.   I agree it is not good currently.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

9 minutes ago, Mace said:

Earlier versions of the beta did not float....so that is a new phenomenon with the 0.5 beta.

Since earlier versions of the beta were not floaty I am going to go out on a limb and assume that this will be fixed.   I agree it is not good currently.

That's why us pions rely on you great testers.

ns

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, sgreen91 said:

I have not seen that behavior in any version. Your description would lead me to first suspect your throttle settings. I can sit at idle with brakes off and it doesn't move an inch. If you come in too hot, it will float but so will any other a/c - back to throttle settings IMHO.

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 hours ago, sgreen91 said:

Its a well known flaw. .

Edited by Adrian123

8 minutes ago, johnbla said:

Anyone know how to auto start this bird at a parking ramp? Thanks in advance.

You don't want to use Ctrl-E autostart with the C414 -- it apparently can cause issues with some of the custom coding.

Al

Edited by ark