Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

FS2020 Crashing on startup

Hi guys,

resorting to this forum for help, reinstalled fs2020 today as it was playing up.. crashing while loading on the loading screen with the blue bar. reinstalled the whole sim thinking something could be at fault so new community folder and drive formatted 

on the first start-up the sim still closes . lunching through steam.  latest drivers

I7 10700K RTX 3080

Many thanks.

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

Bump 

Update, trying to load many times on steam, hit with constant updates from the update manager but seems to be in a loop. i let it complete open it up and then it asks for another update. so confused right now no idea what to do.

Edited by Bilal2104

Did you check the Windows Event log to check why MSFS is crashing? Often it is not helpful but its a place to start.
If MSFS was running fine before you should also check what has changed. Sometimes updating the drivers and bios solves issues.

I have no experience with the Steam version of MSFS but I've read that using the default Steam options to restore/repair the sim actually can cause issues instead of repairing them. Also when reïnstalling MSFS it might just use the previous settings you were using if they weren't erased also. Besides, MSFS will restore most of your settings from the cloud which is convenient unless you want to start with a clean slate.

On the hardware front, sometimes using disabling XMP settings for memory solves the issue. The memory might be running on slower settings but if that solves the issue you can try to set the memory settings manually to get them to their recommended speed settings, or a bit more relaxed if that helps with stability.

If it is software related, sometimes you just have to do a fresh Windows install, especially if you kept your Windows installation from before a hardware change.
I lately upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 which gave me all kind of issues.

Edited by orchestra_nl
  • Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Just a thought: It might be MSFS server overload due to the MSFS Marketplace Spring Sale, running April 9 to April 15. Have you tried installing/running MSFS at a completely different time, say 6 or even 12 hours difference?  

-Bob

• Like 1

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ctd-fix-info/471880

• Like 1

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

hi guys thanks for the reply

so far I've installed it again, fresh drive formatted etc...

downloaded 124gb with no issues and then sim started then blue bar moves across to the end so more progress then last time, and then crashes again.  sent info to zendesk. ive tried disabling clod sync and all suggestions at other forums but still the same problem.

ive never had issues with fs2020 till two days ago.

Open Microsoft Store > Library and make sure your Xbox word not allowed is all up to date. And might as well check other things as well.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

As re-installation and formatting of the drive containing the sim does not help I guess the culprit is somewhere in a file on C:\. Did you also delete those files when uninstalling the sim to remove the single last trace of the sim? I would start with deleting the content.xml file, might already help...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

update...

Gave up, completely reinstalled windows 10, and it worked must of been something on the C dive that was causing an issue.

Sadly my post was too late then, sorry for this...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

48 minutes ago, Bilal2104 said:

update...

Gave up, completely reinstalled windows 10, and it worked must of been something on the C dive that was causing an issue.

Glad you got the issue solved. Reinstalling Windows is the ultimate solution for most problems and often the fastest but it is not fun having to restore all our applications and settings afterwards.
If you have flightsimulator installed on a different drive than c: you won't even have to download all those GB's again.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

16 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Glad you got the issue solved. Reinstalling Windows is the ultimate solution for most problems and often the fastest but it is not fun having to restore all our applications and settings afterwards.
If you have flightsimulator installed on a different drive than 😄 you won't even have to download all those GB's again.

luckily fs2020 is installed on my 500GB NVME and windows is on another ssd so was lucky

4 hours ago, Bilal2104 said:

update...

Most likely your problem was you installed the Google map replacement in the past and when you stopped using it, it didnt put back the correct content server address that FS is looking for on start up. Which causes it to crash or lock up.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64