Sign in to follow this  
ADFGVX

Coolsky DC 9

I recently discovered the Coolsky DC 9 and have to say I really find this plane quite intiguing.

So my questions are:

Is it compatible with P3D 5.3 ( I have seen some posts confirming compatibility with P3D v5 but it was longer ago, so it could not have been 5.3)

Is the overall realism compararble/better than the Maddog X (flight model, failures/wear&tear) ?

• Like 1

ADFGVX - Yes and I presume Yes (I do not have the Maddog Version but I do have the TFDI B717) No problems running the Coolsky DC9 in 5.3 at all. The Flight 1 package installs it correctly and you get the Super 80 and Super 80 Professional as well. All the study level systems work and the model behaves flawlessly in P3DV5.3. The only issue may be liveries, dependant on what you want as McPhat Liveries are no longer available but you can get some for the DC9-30 from the Flight 1 Library. As for the Super 80 well they used that peculiar livery package install system which you do not get anymore which means some livery downloads on other sites cannot be installed but then again the Flight 1 package gives you a pretty extensive livery collection anyway. 

If you want a beautifully crafted analoque era DC-9-30 then the Coolsky version is still tops, the Super 80 is a peculiar beast because it is faithfull to the real aeroplane too just the internal VC textures are not quite so good and the weird semi-automatic or NG avionics etc do take a little time to get you head around. Never had any issues with them in P3DV5.3 still my favourite jetliner!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Can't think of any system or control in the VC or the menus (and there are a few training and operational set up) that does not work properly at all. You wont get these VC textures though only the standard teal colour. These are old McPhat VC textures that are no longer available anywhere alas.

Bka3Fni.jpg

Edited by coastaldriver
additional information
  • Like 2

I second all of that. It is a superb aircraft model that works just as seamlessly in P3D v5 as it did in FSX and everything in between.

4.jpg

• Like 3

It comes with a marvelous training system that helps you learn this not so simple vintage jet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

With the flight1 package can I choose to only install the DC9? I really have no interest in the super8 since I already have Maddog.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Hello,
no you cannot, but there is nothing to stop you from deleting the folders that you do not want.
Each installation is self-contained and has no effect on the other two.
The folders that you do not need are F1 Super 80 and F1 Super 80 Pro.

Well you will not regret it! Despite its age and origins it still rates in my simple view as the best flight sim model yet produced. I could hardly run it on my old FSX system due to the load on my then limited CPU/GPU but on an up to date CPU+SSD+NVIDIA card this one just is superb. May not have the finer touches of say the graphics or texture quality of say later sim models such as the Maddog Super 80 but it does not matter. You can go as in depth as you want and do it all the way by the book or take some simple shortcuts to get going - it can handle it all. The supporting material and training information (all interactive by the way) is as good as doing a course in the DC-9 for real. The amount of time and effort that went into this is almost unbelievable and first class coding as well. Never had a glitch or a problem with it yet!

Now I have never flown a DC-9 for real, they were being retired when I got into aviating seriously for a living but over the years I picked up a whole lot of stuff on the DC-9 and yep it flies by the book in the sim if the book said that is what it could do it does it! I can see why those who flew it regarded it with such affection, a great aeroplane to fly and a pocket rocket as well! Yeah I know it sounds biased and others may differ but if your not a Douglas fan after playing with this well it does not matter- I do know it is unlikely you will see a sim model this good again and certainly not of this vintage of jet! 

If you really get the hang of it you can drop this one from F310 at 300 knots all the way to a 5nm final then slow it down configure it for landing and hit the piano keys spot on Vat. Very impressive! 

Edited by coastaldriver
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

Well you will not regret it! Despite its age and origins it still rates in my simple view as the best flight sim model yet produced.

2 hours ago, G550flyer said:

I can vouch that this is a very good product. I provided technical expertise on the flight model.

10 hours ago, Reader said:

I second all of that. It is a superb aircraft model that works just as seamlessly in P3D v5 as it did in FSX and everything in between.

Thank you guys, so glad to know that works with P3Dv5.3 and thanks the OP for the thread.  I asked about that on their Facebook page two/three years ago and they never answer me.

Gentlemen, I have one question, do you know if it works in VR?

Thanks in advance, 

Hamilton

Hamilton Müller

I see they have interactive learning which is nice.  How is the learning curve?  I would need to totally learn the vor thing again.  does it have ins?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Have you looked at the Maddog?  Can't beat it!  You just can't.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

26 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Have you looked at the Maddog?  Can't beat it!  You just can't.

Best wishes.

Maddog and the Majestic Q400 are my 2 favorites.  However I'm looking at the coolsky just for the DC-9

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next