Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Brilliant MSFS performance

30 minutes ago, Simple B said:

Im running a 3900x and a 6800 non xt at 4k, i'm only looking to improve ground performance.

In the air i can run full ultra & 300 lods at 40+ fps, below 750 ft im hammered below 30fps unless i drop the lod to 100.

CPU bound.

Currently running 125 lods ultra so i don't have to touch settings to maintain 30+ fps in most scenarios.

No jetliners, mostly Kodiiak, TBM, DC6.

i'll definately pick up a 5800x3d, if i can get to 200 lods ultra 4k, (i find it difficult above that to appreciate any visual gains), with frames on the ground above 30, ideally 35 as below that I notice staggering with track ir.

Same deal here. Full ultra locked at 50FPS 300LOD.. This upgrade is purely to improve the main thread limits on the ground .. I'm not nearly as in a bad spot as you are but i am not immune to the occasional 24 fps in the worst parts of KORD with the FBWA320NX + AIG at full chat.

I would love for this chip to kinda lift me out of that occasional Rut and put me into the thirties in the absolute worst case. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

8 minutes ago, Maxis said:

Same deal here. Full ultra locked at 50FPS 300LOD.. This upgrade is purely to improve the main thread limits on the ground .. I'm not nearly as in a bad spot as you are but i am not immune to the occasional 24 fps in the worst parts of KORD with the FBWA320NX + AIG at full chat.

I would love for this chip to kinda lift me out of that occasional Rut and put me into the thirties in the absolute worst case. 

I'm very tempted as well. Has Asobo talked at all about improving multi-threaded performance in the coming years so that a 5900x or 5950x might be able to close the gap?  Currently have a 5950x in box I'm waiting to install and wondering if the 5800x3d makes more sense...

Edited by bbsmitz

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

5 minutes ago, bbsmitz said:

I'm very tempted as well. Has Asobo talked at all about improving multi-threaded performance in the coming years so that a 5900x or 5950x might be able to close the gap?  Currently have a 5950x in box I'm waiting to install and wondering if the 5800x3d makes more sense...

Early indications are the 5800x3d will serve better at a lower cost to the 5950X, will be following the benchmarks until release to further confirm  with interest.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bbsmitz said:

They talked about it (a la Direct X 12) but the impression i took away from it was that i shouldn't look for any dramatic performance improvements. This is where i myself get a little conflicted considering i have a powerful cpu and in an ideal world these cores should have been allocated but sadly it is not the case. I've just been lucky that i ended up with a decent chip and have optimized pretty much everything there is to be optimized on my rig (CPU/Memory timings and subtimings/ GPU) so no performance is left on the table. So it runs pretty well but the sim is pretty much hammering essentially 2 threads at max and everything else is mostly idle.

My plan is to hand my 5900x to my little brother who has a 5600x and if something dramatic happens where Asobo divvies up the work and the 5900x can stretch its legs i can switch back (since im upgrading him for free)

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Well, if that is the case, I think FS2020 still have large potential to optimize, especially on cpu and cache

This is awesome. Keep in mind however that Zen 4 is just around the corner, I would hold off to upgrade if you can, just like I wouldn't buy a GPU now when the next Gen is releasing in 5-6 months

• Like 1

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

If you can already run MSFS at 30+ fps at very high detail then it is not a must to upgrade …

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

38 minutes ago, canadiantree said:

This is awesome. Keep in mind however that Zen 4 is just around the corner, I would hold off to upgrade if you can, just like I wouldn't buy a GPU now when the next Gen is releasing in 5-6 months

Upgrade to Zen 4 will incur much higher costs, new motherboard and ram. i'm so close to having the sim run at acceptable frame rates at high fidelity, if this can get on the ground fps to around 35 at my prefered settings by giving me enough extra headroom on the main thread, this would be a win for me.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GSalden said:

If you can already run MSFS at 30+ fps at very high detail then it is not a must to upgrade

Yeah, when I look at these benchmarks I am always hesitant and wonder how well it translates to the CPU issues most people are concerned with, the approach and taxi in large airports with AI, then to a lesser extent terrain LOD and popping in photogrammetry cities.  Most benchmarks I see are someone flying around in the outside view of an a320 above NYC.  In theory it should translate to better results on the ground but keyword “in theory”.  I don’t think a lot of people have issues actually flying though once they lock at 30 FPS and realize how well it works. 

3 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

I don’t think a lot of people have issues actually flying though once they lock at 30 FPS and realize how well it works. 

This is just a no go for trackIR users, and in 2022 we should be aiming for 60 and not 30 fps. Minimum I will accept is 40 for fluidity. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

This is just a no go for trackIR users, and in 2022 we should be aiming for 60 and not 30 fps. Minimum I will accept is 40 for fluidity. 

Something that people seem to forget too is that MSFS is relying a lot on temporal accumulation for many of its rendering techniques. Anti-aliasing, shadows, volumetric clouds, screen-space reflections, ambient occlusion and more. By increasing the frame rate, you increase the image quality as well. I've talked about this in the official forums too and some people found that they could get rid of pixelated clouds by removing the 30 FPS cap.

2 hours ago, Corpulo said:

Another review showing great MSFS improvements in average fps and 1% lows. You have to choose Flight Simulator for both once on the page.

Thanks! Surprisingly this page includes X-Plane 11 benchmarks as well for those who are interested, and it is clear that the extra cache is not really helping and Intel is the clear choice for X-Plane users. I'm wondering how Prepar3D would fare.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I would be curious too about how it handles after a long 6 hour flight and then landing at a fairly populated airport. I think it will still suffer the same problems with low FPS as do many other powerful CPU's. But FS2020 should not be that CPU bound like the earlier editions of FS. I'm satisfied with my setup for the time being until something arrives that going to make me retire it and build a new on.

Regards

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

6 minutes ago, Simple B said:

Do you have a link to the thread chaoticbeauty?

It is getting late for me so I cannot search for the individual posts right now, but the discussion took place fairly recently in the pixelated/grainy clouds bug report. Someone was claiming they weren't seeing pixelated clouds with 60 FPS, and someone else said the artifacts went away after removing the 30 FPS cap, per my suggestion.

• Like 1