Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Brilliant MSFS performance

1 hour ago, Poppingcork said:

What MB would you suggest with the 5800x3D??  Do you have to use liquid cooling??

I asked around and everyone told me the 5800x3d doesn’t heat that much so i kept my alpinefoehn si3. And… yes the temps are the same as my 3900x if it can help.

1 hour ago, Poppingcork said:

What MB would you suggest with the 5800x3D??  Do you have to use liquid cooling??

I am running a Asus tuf gaming x570 MB which is 2 years old, does me just fine.

I added the water cooler as my last unit failed around a year ago and was temporarily running the standard AMD air option that came with the previously installed 3900x which is not optimal.

My 3900x on the standard cooler ran around 65-70 degrees in msfs.

The 5800x3d is noted to run a little hotter, with the arctic cooler it never gets above 60 degrees in msfs for me.

I was considering a 120 Noctura air cooler option but my case has limited clearance.

Those of you with a 5800X3D, how is performance with Terrain LOD set to 400? In the official forums most people are reporting huge performance and smoothness increases, but most of the time they are using LOD 200 or unspecified, while I've seen a couple of reports that at LOD 400 the performance improvement over standard Zen 3 and Alder Lake is very small, which makes me wonder if the sheer amount of data requested simply cannot fit in the extra cache.

By the way, since it is relevant to some of the older conversations in here, it has been confirmed that both Zen 4 and Zen 5 will come with 3D V-Cache variants. For those who are satisfied right now, waiting for AM5 should be worth it.AMD-ZEN-ROADMAP.jpg

On 6/17/2022 at 6:24 PM, ChaoticBeauty said:

Those of you with a 5800X3D, how is performance with Terrain LOD set to 400? In the official forums most people are reporting huge performance and smoothness increases, but most of the time they are using LOD 200 or unspecified, while I've seen a couple of reports that at LOD 400 the performance improvement over standard Zen 3 and Alder Lake is very small, which makes me wonder if the sheer amount of data requested simply cannot fit in the extra cache.

By the way, since it is relevant to some of the older conversations in here, it has been confirmed that both Zen 4 and Zen 5 will come with 3D V-Cache variants. For those who are satisfied right now, waiting for AM5 should be worth it.AMD-ZEN-ROADMAP.jpg

I've just upgraded from an i7 9700f. My initial impressions is that with LOD 400 or higher the sim is still a stutter fest. Tested using the Fenix A320 at 4k. No custom sceneries or any kind of traffic (just some road vehicles). 32gb RAM at 3000mhz, 3090 and WD SN850 SSD. 

Will do more tests and report back. 

In P3Dv5 I couldn't notice a single improvement. 

Edited by zecanelao
  • Like 1

I have my suspicions about any increase, at least from a 5800x to a 5800x3d.

The passmark per-core rating on the 5800x3D is only 3125 vs. 3451 for the 5800x.
OK, so it has more cache, but it's also slower per core (hmmm)... 

MSFS is the most difficult thing to get a reliably measured AVG FPS even compared to any other game I've tried.
The 3D mark differences aren't much between the 2 CPU's, and user benchmarks show a 3% difference if all averaged out.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I seen Youtube videos claim to get 150 - 250 fps in RDR 2 at 1440p or higher with an AMD 6800, when the real number is 50-100 depending where you are testing.

A lot of fake data out there.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

And yet, I am so well with my "inexpensive" 5600x 

Never my sims ran so smoothly, even at HIGH settings...

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

13 minutes ago, jcomm said:

And yet, I am so well with my "inexpensive" 5600x 

Never my sims ran so smoothly, even at HIGH settings...

Yup, MSFS performs fairly well unless you need Ultra, but never hurts to get a bit more performance for crowded areas.

This test actually shows the 5800x3D to give worse results...

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_7_5800x3d_vs_ryzen_7_5800x/10

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zecanelao said:

I've just upgraded from an i7 9700f. My initial impressions is that with LOD 400 or higher the sim is still a stutter fest. Tested using the Fenix A320 at 4k. No custom sceneries or any kind of traffic (just some road vehicles). 32gb RAM at 3000mhz, 3090 and WD SN850 SSD. 

Will do more tests and report back. 

In P3Dv5 I couldn't notice a single improvement. 

I have found that some combination of graphic options might eliminate or reduce stuttering, V/Sync on/off, FPS limiting (some times internal limiter works better, other times/systems might like external limiters), some times just reducing LOD by just a little will make a huge difference, the beauty of MSFS is that you can try (most) of the settings on the fly with out have to exit the sim.

Best of luck to all.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

3 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Yup, MSFS performs fairly well unless you need Ultra, but never hurts to get a bit more performance for crowded areas.

This test actually shows the 5800x3D to give worse results...

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_7_5800x3d_vs_ryzen_7_5800x/10

The 5800X3D is not designed for productivity tasks, designed instead for gaming performance.

Even that review you linked comes up with that conclusion:

All in all the Ryzen 7 5800X3D manages to utilise it's new 3D V-Cache design to almost wholly eliminate the clock speed differential between it and the regular Ryzen 7 5800X, and also gives you the benefits of higher FPS in your games.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_7_5800x3d_vs_ryzen_7_5800x/12

The 5800X3D is level with the 12900K when averaging performance across multiple gaming titles 

https://www.techspot.com/review/2450-ryzen-5800x3d-vs-core-i9-12900k/

As for the most important FPS comparison, the 5800X3D beats the 5800X

spacer.png

Source: https://www.techspot.com/review/2451-ryzen-5800x3d-vs-ryzen-5800x/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

It loses in the TimeSpy CPU part of the 3D Mark test which is CPU heavy...
It loses in the Passmark test.

Those FPS tests aren't trustworthy AT ALL.

The sites that are honest and average all user self-run benchmarks, show the thing does not appear to be any faster than the 5800x.

From 70 to 115 FPS just from a 5800x to a 5800x3d with a 10% worse passmark per-core score, no way, I am 100% certain that is a bad test...

That would mean the passmark score is completely invalid, and I've never seen that, not even once in 10 years.

It may be slightly off on that one CPU, but I've never seen wildly different results from what passmark says as far as CPU power, and that includes in gaming.
Passmark uses an average and their algorithm for desktop CPU's is weighted towards gaming.
The passmark score is probably on average the most reliable CPU bench there is.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

2 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

It loses in the TimeSpy CPU part of the 3D Mark test which is CPU heavy...
It loses in the Passmark test.

Those FPS tests aren't trustworthy AT ALL.

The sites that are honest and average all user self-run benchmarks, show the thing does not appear to be any faster than the 5800x.

From 70 to 115 FPS just from a 5800x to a 5800x3d with a 10% worse passmark per-core score, no way, I am 100% certain that is a bad test...

That would mean the passmark score is completely invalid, and I've never seen that, not even once in 10 years.

It may be slightly off on that one CPU, but I've never seen wildly different results from what passmark says as far as CPU power, and that includes in gaming.
Passmark uses an average and their algorithm for desktop CPU's is weighted towards gaming.
The passmark score is probably on average the most reliable CPU bench there is.

I went from a 5600X (basically the same as the 5800X when it comes to gaming) to a 5800X3D and my experience lines up with all the review benchmarks showing strong FPS increases in MSFS in particular. Moreover, I'm seeing way less stuttering compared to my 5600X. 

• Like 1

There shouldn't be a wildly different amount of stuttering between 2 modern CPU's once the settings are compensated properly.
That indicates a settings issue and a threshold was passed when changing CPU's, it doesn't mean much.

70 to 115 is a 50% increase in frames for MSFS, no way.

It's not 50% faster, that's a silly benchmark posted above.
Most of the user benchmarks show 5% to 10% better, a few are a little higher.
The 5800x still wins on about 1/3rd of games.

FPS tests are like the "straw that broke the camels back", which is why they are not accurate.
The AMD 5800x3D is a good CPU, but it's not much different than the 5800x.

It also happens to be a cash grab by marketers wanting people to click affiliate links, or just get extra views for Youtube payouts.
So they take the best case test where it shows the most difference and post it, and it's completely innaccurate.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

The AMD 5800x3D is the biggest marketing sham in history when it comes to CPU's, not that it's bad, it's very good and is likely a nice tad bit faster in MSFS.

Edited by Alpine Scenery