Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Brilliant MSFS performance

On 9/2/2022 at 7:23 AM, Virtual-Chris said:

So, the details for the new AMD CPUs have been out for a few days, and they all have less L3 cache than the 5800x3D.  I wonder if any of these new CPUs will unseat the 5800x3D as the best CPU for MSFS.  The new CPUs have much higher clocks, so perhaps that will drive some added performance and they are noted to have a 13% increase in IPC performance which is substantial.  If you spend $800 USD you can get a 7950 with 80MB of cache and high clocks (and of course the added IPC uplift), which will very likely unseat the 5800x3D but then it's a LOT more expensive and it consumes a ton of power which might be a challenge to cool.  It will be interesting to see if the similarly priced 7700x with much smaller L3 can compete with the 5800x3D.

Yes, but the breakdown of the 80 MB L3 cache here is that it is a total notation of all of them.
These breakdowns are
1CCD = (8Core (L2Cache Par core = 1M x 8=8M) + L3Cache Unified 32MB) = 40MB, which is two sets of caches divided.
This is not a configuration like the 5800X3D, which has 96MB in L3 in Unified, which would be a characteristic of the faster 5950X.

For these reasons, I believe that the 7950X will probably not outperform the 5800X3D in terms of frame rate jitter and highest FPS.
However, it will probably surpass the lowest FPS because it has IODs that are faster, lower heat, and has a higher memory bandwidth.

I will wait for the rumored 7800X3D/7950X3D to be announced at CES in 2023/01.

Deleted due to multiple postings.

Edited by Kanade
Deleted due to multiple postings.

I’m all intel, have been for years. I think I’ve had an AMD chip once in a late 90’s as they were significantly cheaper than Intel back then. 

I am currently sourcing parts for my next build and am waiting to see what Intel comes out with this coming week with the  13th gen announcement to make up my mind. 

Is there a lot of you out there running the 5800 chip? Is it really performing as well as the benchmarks running the sim? If Intel comes up with scandalous pricing for the 13xxx series, I will likely pull the trigger on the AMD. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I have a 5800X + 3080 Ti and play at 4K. With DLSS this game has finally got "fast" outside of city/airport areas, but I see that it's still pretty CPU-limited at bigger airports (30-40 fps on a good day). I'm debating whether to bump up my 5800X to a 5800X3D, it's an expensive upgrade essentially for one game, but I would like to see some really noticeable gains in return.

What's the general consensus here on whether such a CPU upgrade is worth it? If I get 30 fps on the 5800X at a really slow airport what can I expect with a 5800X3D? Are there other harder to quantify benefits like less overall stuttering? Basically what's your subjective view, should I, or waste of money?

Oh and I'm aware that AMD is going to release Zen 4 CPUs like the 7700X along with a 3D version which will probably surpass the 5800X3D in performance and there will probably be a price drop on the 5800X3D, so I'll wait a bit. Moving to AM5 would require a new mobo and RAM so it's most likely not going to be worth it for me, let's assume the 5800X3D at a bit cheaper price is my ceiling.

Edited by Belzebutt

I went from 7700k to 5800X3D + 2070S and it opened up a new world to me. I am impressed and once I'm going to put in the 4xxx series card in there, I will be at home. 

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

On 9/26/2022 at 1:19 AM, Belzebutt said:

What's the general consensus here on whether such a CPU upgrade is worth it? If I get 30 fps on the 5800X at a really slow airport what can I expect with a 5800X3D? Are there other harder to quantify benefits like less overall stuttering? Basically what's your subjective view, should I, or waste of money?

See page 1 for benchmarks. Roughly 20 percent more fps, so your 30 fps would then be 36. 

Not worth it at retail price IMHO.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

On 9/28/2022 at 12:29 AM, Drumcode said:

I went from 7700k to 5800X3D + 2070S and it opened up a new world to me. I am impressed and once I'm going to put in the 4xxx series card in there, I will be at home. 

Thanks for the info.   I'm currently on a 7700k.   Been saving up for an upgrade, but now at crossroads.    Thinking of biting the bullet and getting a 5800X3D instead of the new AMD 7000 series, in which case I'd probably wait for the 7800X3D.   Problem is that it would probably out of my price range around launch.

But I received great advice here.   So I think I'll wait a few months and see how things settle. 🙂

Cheers.

• Like 1

Matt Webb

With both AMD and Intel new CPU lines requiring new sockets & motherboards (basically having to rebuild a new PC), I'm going to go for the X3D even though I already have a 5900X.

The expense and hassle of building a whole new PC just to get something that's maybe 10% more than the X3D isn't worth it, the X3D seems to be the best we can get on pre-existing motherboards.

I think AMD stuffed up when forcing a new socket for their new line, allowing people to upgrade on the existing AM4 could've given them an edge over Intel. 

A Ryzen 9 5900X3D would've been welcome too.

I'm planning on upgrading either to the new intel 13th gen or the new AMD flagship. So new mobo, cpu and ram. 

• Like 1

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

After seeing the recent reviews of the new 7000 chips, I decided to order a 5800X3D to replace my 5900X. Just arrived so waiting on the RTX 3090 arriving tomorrow and I'll be set for the foreseeable future. I don't think there will be much benefit in the next gen GPUs and the 5800X3D / RTX 3090 will be a potent combination at a very affordable price to upgrade.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

2 hours ago, Donka said:

After seeing the recent reviews of the new 7000 chips, I decided to order a 5800X3D to replace my 5900X. Just arrived so waiting on the RTX 3090 arriving tomorrow and I'll be set for the foreseeable future. I don't think there will be much benefit in the next gen GPUs and the 5800X3D / RTX 3090 will be a potent combination at a very affordable price to upgrade.

We can compare performance when my 4090 arrives. 

Jacek G.

17 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

We can compare performance when my 4090 arrives. 

Absolutely! Pure rasterisation only though - no DLSS involved!

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.