Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

Flight Path Issue - FBW A32NX Mod

I'm using simbrief so create a flight plan. I'm loading this into the MCDU. However as you can see I've got an issue. Is this a fault/bug with the addon or am I doing something wrong?

Flight NZAA - YSSY runway 23L at NZAA to runway 7 at YSSY

Sim Brief

spacer.png

Outcome

spacer.png

Inserting appraoch

spacer.png

F-PLN

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not an expert by any means, but the aircraft is trying to do what is entered in the MCDU.

Looking at the Sydney chart, the MARLN5 arrival would have radar vectors to final for the ILS approach to 07, rather than going direct from TESAT. The aircraft is trying to do a tight turn to get onto final, which is why the route looks messed up on the navigation display. So its not really a bug, nor are you really doing anything wrong - it's rather that the entered procedure doesn't exist like that in real life, and requires ATC intervention to direct you to the final approach. Hope that helps!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

It is important to note that as a result of the situation described above by @MWJ81, there should be a Discontinuity present within the flight plan when loading this. In a particular case like this, it might be better to leave the Discontinuity as the paths are not really meant to be connected together.

• Upvote 1

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

Thanks for the replies. I didn't remove any discontinuity warnings. 

Just looking at the charts. Following the MARLN5 arrival it takes me to TESAT which is directly above the airfield. Runway 7 is coming in from the left of the chart 062'.  So to get lined up at ANKUB which is off to the left (of the image) I'd need to go to an unknown point and turn around?

Sorry for not using aviation terms. I'm still learning. 

To achieve this ATC would normally give me vectors of directions? Therefore following charts in MSFS without VATSIM is not possible?

Is there a way I could find or should know what these vectors are or would be?

https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/SSYSR02-170_24MAR2022.pdf

https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/SSYII07-161_24MAR2022.pdf

If the FMS didn't give you an discontinuity that is a bug then. Proper discontinuity generation will be in FMSv2.

I will let ATC experts address your questions relating to how to fly this 😉

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

20 hours ago, NZAA said:

To achieve this ATC would normally give me vectors of directions? Therefore following charts in MSFS without VATSIM is not possible?

If a chart tells you to expect vectors you have to vector yourself (if you don't use VATSIM or something similar). So yes, it is possible to follow the chart but only up to the vectoring part: after that it's up to you. There is no way to find or know those vectors: just use your common sense. 😉 In this particular case I'd preceed on that 264° course after passing TESAT and then do a direct to ANKUB at the right time (which is up to you) so you'll make a nice turn left to intercept the ILS. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tup61 said:

If a chart tells you to expect vectors you have to vector yourself (if you don't use VATSIM or something similar). So yes, it is possible to follow the chart but only up to the vectoring part: after that it's up to you. There is no way to find or know those vectors: just use your common sense. 😉 In this particular case I'd preceed on that 264° course after passing TESAT and then do a direct to ANKUB at the right time (which is up to you) so you'll make a nice turn left to intercept the ILS. 

So when someone says expect vectors, is plain English it's like saying expect directions which will be in the form of a heading which you then follow. 

So in your example for here https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/SSYSR02-170_24MAR2022.pdf

You'd simply stay on 264 after crossing TESAT for a while, you want to intercept ANKUB at 10nm so long enough than when you left turn back towards ANKUB you'll intercept it this far out plus some room to straighten up 

I would be going off the STAR at PRAWN HGD 242 and coming around from the south. ( I like keeping things simple), then again you could also call the number on the chart and ask them where they want you to go. 😉