Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Electric cars in the boondocks...

I had my Prius in for service at the Toyota dealership the other day.  I went to the sales department and asked when they were going to get the electric cars to sell.  I was told that they were working on installing a charging station first.  It will be the only one in Roswell.  Of course you can charge at home but we are way behind in getting the charging stations.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Legislation was proposed last year to greatly increase the number of charging stations across the country. It was killed. I'll just leave it at that.

NAX669.png

34 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Legislation was proposed last year to greatly increase the number of charging stations across the country. It was killed. I'll just leave it at that.

Per capita you have 114 chargers per 100,000 people I recall. UK are doing better, Europe too. 

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

It will be the only one in Roswell.

We have THREE in Guernsey and a population of 63,000. You have 48,000 people, so we are almost as bad as you. 😁

Not really an issue for us though as we are never more than 25 minutes form home. Any further and you'd be in the sea. 

Edited by martin-w

40 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Yes.  Unfortunately, that was only a very tiny part of the overall legislation. The other stuff in there was not very popular.

It would be so very nice if we could have a "clean" energy bill and just that.  Sadly, we're all just pawns in a bigger game which has nothing to do with the well-being of the people.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Well, there is the aptera, which if you drive as little as I do would be all you need...doesn't even need a charging station as it is its own charging station.  Other than that , you could have enough solar power or solar/wind to charge an EV (or is it BEV?).

Or you could sit around the rest of your life solving problems you will likely never face.  Its good for a laugh.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Don't get political, guys! :ph34r:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Not really an issue for us though as we are never more than 25 minutes form home.

If I drive 25 minutes, even 25 miles, from my small city I'm in the middle of nowhere.  I've got to drive 100 miles to the next town.

I have another question.  Does an electric car lose any charge just sitting idle for a week or two without being plugged in?

I'm thinking in terms of recreation in wilderness areas.  I've driven 100 miles to the trailhead where i park my electric car.  Say it has 50% charge left.  We put on our backpacks and hike into a wilderness are where we will be gone for a week to 10 days.  When I get back will the car still have 50% of it's charge?

In my Prius if I have a half a tank of gasoline when I start our hike it will still have a half tank of gasoline when I get back.

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

I have another question.  Does an electric car lose any charge just sitting idle for a week or two without being plugged in?

I would say no to this, but probably depends on model and make. I've left my Kona for over two weeks in the middle of winter (can get really cold here in the north of Sweden...) and lost next to nothing (1-2%). 

Driving it in the winter though is another thing entirely. During summer I can get by with 13kWh/100km where as in the winter that is closer to 20kWh/100km. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

If I drive 25 minutes, even 25 miles, from my small city I'm in the middle of nowhere.  I've got to drive 100 miles to the next town.

Me too. 😁 Id be swimming in the ocean with just fish to chat to. Id have to drive (sail) 136.6 miles to Southampton. 🦈🚢

On 4/15/2022 at 11:20 AM, brucets said:

The authors credentials are at the end.

The Electric Vehicle Scam - America Out Loud

Bruce

I have to take a bath after reading that article and the subsequent comments... 💩

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Not really surprised.

Captain to First Officer: " I didn't say it was your fault I am just blaming you " 

Gasoline stations are not funded by the government, thankfully, its all free enterprise. When there's dollars to be made, then things get done really fast. Things like building recharging stations. So far there is a lack of demand. Not profitable to build a station. When the demand becomes large, believe me, electric stations will appear really fast!

I don't want an electric vehicle. My SUV is already often far away from gas stations on 4WD only back roads with fuel carried in jerry cans.

90% of Nevada and 15% of California is public land. It's the same as if I owned it, all mine to use as I please. But only if I can get there. That's a bigger personal back yard then even Elon Musk or Jeff Bezo's has. So it's like I can have more toys then they do, and at very little cost to me.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.