Sign in to follow this  
rebrecs

Question for B737 Experienced Persons PLEASE

Hi, if this is the wrong place for this post please advise. I thought it should be here, or the "Hanger." Neither seemed exactly right. Here goes.

I'm running FSX-SE on Windows 10. I am learning the B737-800 that came with my FSX-SE purchase. I have gained the ability to land the aircraft, and do so at or near 160 knots IAS, flaps 40. I don't load fuel in accordance with a fuel plan. Whatever "gut" algorithm I use is pretty consistent since the gross weight tends to usually be within the range that calls for 160-161 Knots IAS. When I say "calls for," I am referring to the Vref chart in Aircraft--> Reference. That same Vref chart is what motivates my question here today.

I would post an image of the Vref chart in question, but I just got through reading the forum rules regarding posting images. Not being clear on what was being asked, I decided I'm too new here to be put in "forum jail." Maybe next time.

Basically, I interpret that chart to say I can land this aircraft at gross weight between 90000 and 180000 (pounds), and I have two choices regarding speed. I can either use flaps 40 and land at a speed between 157 -165 knots IAS, or I can use flaps 30 and land at speeds within the range of 109-116 knots IAS. Am I reading this chart right?

I have never been able to slow that aircraft to within 109-116 knots IAS with flaps 30, or flaps 40 for that matter. The aircraft will fly at speeds in that range but it will be pitched up radically, even during rapid descent. Note, it does not stall but, in my limited experience,  the pitch up is too severe for crossing the threshold. The tail will hit the concrete before the wheels without intervention. But what intervention? Am I supposed  to force the nose down with the yoke? That seems counter to every other plane I have flown (SIM)

If you have any advice for me on the topic of landing the B737 in the slower speed range, please let me know. I am not in any way opposed to landing at 160 knots, but if there are indeed two viable speed ranges, I would like to know how to use them. Somebody bothered to publish that chart, so I want to infer that there is a reason for choosing slow or fast speed approach and landing. True or False ?

Thanks in advance.

Being that no one has replied, I'll jump in here. I am not a real pilot, nor am I a serious simmer. I mostly fly the default 737-800 in FSX - like you.

I always plan for fuel that will leave about 20,000lbs in the tanks when landing. I land with flaps 30 and at about 138-142kts. I don't remember ever messing with the payload though.

Bruce

I'll take a crack at this (don't have much time)

Maximum landing weight for a Boeing 737-800 is in the 150,000lb range.

Normal approach speeds (over the range of landing weights for the aircraft) would be in the 120 KIAS to 160 KIAS range (likely higher than 160 at the max landing weight).

Normal fuel on board at landing should be around 4,000 to 6,000 lbs. (Depends on a variety of factors including distance to alternate, holding fuel etc). 20,000lbs is way too much for landing and will likely put you overweight.

Flap 30 is the normal landing flap configuration. 40 is used in special circumstances (short runways etc.).

You should be able to google a decent VREF / Performance chart for the 737-800. A proper one will give you far more than 2 choices for approach speed. Maybe try this one: https://mediawiki.ivao.aero/index.php?title=File:Vref_Table.png << It's in KG, but the numbers look reasonable (albeit simplified).

Beyond that, there are many tutorials out there to show you how to fly the 737. Give them a shot.

Hope this helps.

DB

Hey, thanks, DB!  

Many years ago, on the Capt. Sim forum there was a retired TW Capt. Who advised that you should have about 25-27000lbs(if I remember correctly) aboard when landing the 727-200. So I just used that more or less with the other jets ever since. It's worked fine in FSX for me. As for tutorial videos I can't understand most that I try. My hearing is terrible(can't understand the words). As I said I'm not a serious simmer, but I'll look at the table you linked. I'm sure the OP will take your advice as well.

Bruce

19 hours ago, brucets said:

Hey, thanks, DB!  

Many years ago, on the Capt. Sim forum there was a retired TW Capt. Who advised that you should have about 25-27000lbs(if I remember correctly) aboard when landing the 727-200. So I just used that more or less with the other jets ever since. It's worked fine in FSX for me. As for tutorial videos I can't understand most that I try. My hearing is terrible(can't understand the words). As I said I'm not a serious simmer, but I'll look at the table you linked. I'm sure the OP will take your advice as well.

Bruce

No worries Bruce!

The maximum fuel capacity of the 727 is just over 30,000lbs, so landing with 25-27,000lbs would be a bit ambitious, or at the very least, severely restrict your range haha. Perhaps he accidentally added a zero to the number?

You want to be landing with enough fuel to make a missed approach (or two), fly to an alternate airport, hold for a while, and land, plus any additional buffer you deem necessary. Obviously the distance to your alternate airport and expected weather conditions will cause that number to change on every flight, but it will typically fall into a normal range (of a few thousand pounds).

There should be a few written tutorials about. Learning to fly an airplane by the book (or close to it) can be very satisfying, especially when it comes together and things start to work out as planned. This is true in real life and the sim world btw.

Hope that helps.

DB 

HAH! My memory must have failed me! I just went through all my Capt. Sim folders, and I don't see anything Capt. Lou. He has 129 pages of stories and reply's here-

CAPTAIN SIM FORUM - Lou - STORIES (it's in there somewhere)

I bought Capt. Mike Ray's 737 book about 2005! Never got past page 30, or so. I'm just a seat of the pants simmer, but I usually get them up and down, and from A to B. Good thing FSX is so forgiving! 😁

Thanks again DB! (I'm guessing you're the real deal!) 

Bruce

Nothing wrong with being a seat of the pants simmer. This hobby accommodates all levels of interest and there is alot of fun to be had at every point. That's the beauty of it. 

As for being the "real deal", I've worked a couple places in the industry and even on the pointy end of a jet for a minute, but there are lots of folks around this forum much more deserving of that title than me. 

Cheers, 

DB

• Like 1