Sign in to follow this  
clocki

Lines flickering

Hello,

I'm quite happy with the graphics due to my new system and in some tests it runs very good with 30-50fps stable. Even with higher settings. So far so good. But I noticed some vertical lines when moving around. Sadly not able to take a screenshot. But what I also saw is some typical line flickering. I think its maybe with shadows but I tried some settings and could not find a solution. I also noticed that on a clean system only with a 777 or default. Its also not releated to the airport as it also occurs on the air.
Using a AMD 6800 video card and also tried some Radeon settings without success. You can see the problem around the windows and the terminal/tower. This is annoying and destroys the good system to be honest. I do not have this on other games like MSFS or RDR2

spacer.png

Greetings Eddi :smile:

Hi Clocki

I guess it's some shadow issue. Not all shadows are an advantige in respect to the overall look. Try disabling shadows affecting the plane.

I think the white around the tower could be sunlight but also reminds me on the halo the trees had some time ago. Since I'm having NVidia GPU and also use Toga Envshade, it's hard to tell what made it dissapear on my system.

For sure I disabled some shadows, because yes for maximal realism they are wanted but the flicker was making me more mad than to relinquish for some shadows I finally did never miss.

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Thanks Dan for that hint. Now I firted the sim up and got on my testposition like on the last shot. But this time it was okay without a change. I then tested some other sun positions but still nothing. I mean that is maybe a good thing,

Then I wanted to test frames with the PMDG 777ER and the cam for taxi. Loaded and chosen the cam, frames dropped around 7-9fps. Still 35fps. But I noticed the following as on the picutre, Only when in VC. Outside was all fine. When turning off cam it suddenly is all normal. Like using a switch. No loading screen nothing. Never had this with Nvidia before. But I have same as on the pic below when moving the camera around.
Maybe its I'm using a 24" screen which is also a bit older but all new ones are having such big racks not matching my table 😕

6 hours ago, blaunarwal said:

Since I'm having NVidia GPU

To be honest I wanted to have a Nvidia too. I planned for a 3070 (TI) but then the price for the 6800 Red Devil came up so cheap and it has more VRAM. In all the 6800 doing good frames and in other games too.

spacer.png

Edited by clocki

Clocki - I have had exactly the same issue with an NVIDIA 2070 Super. The vertical lines always transitory - it seems related to the panning movement speed that is the moment you stop panning it goes again. The shadowing around the windscreen and objects outside always occurs with heavy dark cloud cover as well. That seems to me to be related to the angle of view and the VC so what I think is happening is the shadowing on the edge of an object is not being filtered (like the anisotrophic filtering is not picking up a hard line or edge) but only on the boundary box. such as the windscreen which is interesting because the glass texture seems to be the issue. My conclusion is that there is something occurring with the interpretation of light and clear textures at the boundary with a hard or darker object. You get the lines in blue bright sky and the ragged edge with that light/dark combination of the inside out from the VC. 

Look I have tried a variety of different settings, filters, shadows etc and nothing has really fixed it - that said it is not a constant that is continous and is at time quite transitory so my conclusion is that it is related to the way NVIDIA is interpreting light/shadows and objects and movement in a specific directional arc (angular) and the more general light interpretation when panning. Annoying sometimes but no view or ideas on a fix other than that. 

For me it started probably about 3 driver updates back so it is definitely and NVIDIA thing! Somebody may have some clues but I have not worked out if it can be fixed or stopped by big setting changes. I think not. 

14 hours ago, clocki said:

Never had this with Nvidia before. But I have same as on the pic below when moving the camera around.
Maybe its I'm using a 24" screen which is also a bit older but all new ones are having such big racks not matching my table 😕

If you say panning, it could be something with synchronisation. I once had severe shaking when panning around but fixed it with the synch settings. Sorry can't tell you exactly what it was. I could stay in the sim to test.

The fact it became better may indicate the shaders were renewed during use and then it became better. 

The screen makes no difference to my experience. 

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

After some further testing it seems the main problem is caused by the option "amortize clouds" which is marked as experimental. To be hones I don't know really what it does but after unchecking it it was mainly sovled. Some small things are left but thats all. I think the rest is like @blaunarwal said with panning and my older screen which will be replaced.

But with the EA on and so and all settings on a higher level I still find the clouds looking quite like toys or like drawn. Not as good as they could be. Also I have the problem with ActiveSky that the weather is for example bad on departure, then on FL200 it changes to sunny and 50nm later suddenly to cloudy. And when looking behind me all is sunny and not like real life. Is there a way to change that somewhere? So it is more real? I have resources left when looking on my frames if that is relevant.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by clocki
Addes screenshot

1 hour ago, clocki said:

Also I have the problem with ActiveSky that the weather is for example bad on departure, then on FL200 it changes to sunny and 50nm later suddenly to cloudy. And when looking behind me all is sunny and not like real life. Is there a way to change that somewhere? So it is more real? I have resources left when looking on my frames if that is relevant.

Limitation of the volumetric clouds feature in the simulator, unfortunately.

Can only be changed by LM.

Glad you discovered the cause of the flickering lines was the amortize clouds setting.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Limitation of the volumetric clouds feature in the simulator, unfortunately.

My clouds look nothing like that. Disable volumetric clouds, then AS/ASCA clouds take over.

Far more realistic.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.