Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Any new info on XP12 ground scenery / autogen?

One of the things I'm most hoping for is a better ground environment.

I'm not expecting it to look like FS2020, but hoping for some improvements in terms of things like road accuracy (I loathe ground tile textures with roads, for example...) and general look/feel.

• Like 1

Due to the time and computing effort required in tweaking generation rules and producing global scenery from source files, the new ground environment is one of the last things we're going to get a preview of.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

Due to the time and computing effort required in tweaking generation rules and producing global scenery from source files, the new ground environment is one of the last things we're going to get a preview of.

That's a shame, since it's one of the things we see most.

• Like 1

I would at least like to see things important to pilots. Like accurate landforms elevation

Accurate streets, roads, and rails

Accurate power line vector

Accurate tower placement

Accurate rivers and coastlines.

Accurate urban street grids with reasonable autogen facsimiles of any building taller than a set floor minimum based on user hardware.

Points of interest accurately rendered. Example in my area, just south of MDT are a set of famous nuke plant cooling towers and 8 miles east are a pair of brown stacks that chocolate lovers would appreciate.

Accurate bridges. Like in my area only MSFS gets the Rockville right as the longest stone arch railroad bridge on earth. FSX should have had it based on it's status.

Not ground environment but equally desirable....

Native voice support for ATC. No addon needed, just a headset. 

I hope Austin reads this forum.

Edited by Gary1124
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turner112 said:

since it's one of the things we see most.

Maybe you do - I see the instrument panel of my aircraft the most 😅

To anyone (like the two guys above my post) entertaining the slightest bit of hope in the most recluded corner of their hearts that XP12 will have scenery that bests MSFS...it won´t. It will be better than XP11 but not as good/realistic as MSFS.

So if looking at "the longest stone arch railroad bridge on earth" is of importance to you - look no further. Your best option for doing so is at your fingertips as I type and you don´t need to hold your breath for XP12.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Janov

21 minutes ago, Janov said:

To anyone (like the two guys above my post) entertaining the slightest bit of hope in the most recluded corner of their hearts that XP12 will have scenery that bests MSFS...it won´t.

So what will it have? I'm struggling to have a reason to keep 2.5TB of data on my drive? Exactly in what areas will XP12 give me more than MSFS? I'm not trolling the question is genuine. What exactly wil XP12 have that is a step forward to what is already on offer?

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary1124 said:

I would at least like to see things important to pilots. Like accurate landforms elevation

Accurate streets, roads, and rails

Accurate power line vector

Accurate tower placement

Accurate rivers and coastlines.

Accurate urban street grids with reasonable autogen facsimiles of any building taller than a set floor minimum based on user hardware.

Points of interest accurately rendered. Example in my area, just south of MDT are a set of famous nuke plant cooling towers and 8 miles east are a pair of brown stacks that chocolate lovers would appreciate.

Accurate bridges. Like in my area only MSFS gets the Rockville right as the longest stone arch railroad bridge on earth. FSX should have had it based on it's status.

Not ground environment but equally desirable....

Native voice support for ATC. No addon needed, just a headset. 

I hope Austin reads this forum.

To be frank, most of this is already in since x-plane 10. Roads are accurate, powerlines, mesh, water bodies....In x-plane 11 they did add a bit more mainly for more accurate building heights.

Of course there might me bugs by LR but also wrong/missing data which is out of the scope for LR.

I suspect most of the complaints regarding x-plane "blocky" autogen patterns are due to missing other urban features i.e. sports fields, sea-ports, marines etc... Good news: those will be in x-plane 12 so we should expect a much richer world autogen wise, they did show lots of new art assets including similar stuff that you desire in your comment like industrial tanks and the things I mentioned.

This will probably break the blocky autogen cities with much more accurate distinctions. Austin also mentioned much better beaches textures that will slope under water creating seamless transitions and not like the ugly blocky look we have now.

But as mentioned the new global scenery is probably the last thing to be ready for preview since all the other tech (like 3d water) need to be done first, this is also confirmed in the last dev blog placing "new dsf global scenery recuts" as one of the very last open items to be done.

Edited by mtaxp
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

So what will it have? I'm struggling to have a reason to keep 2.5TB of data on my drive? Exactly in what areas will XP12 give me more than MSFS? I'm not trolling the question is genuine. What exactly wil XP12 have that is a step forward to what is already on offer?

Nothing John, nothing. Back to that "other" simulator now 🙂

Jan. You didn't answer my question and fell back on the usual sarcasm.. I will ask again. In what way will XP12 offer more to me than the other sim?  It's a genuine question. You are on the team and must know the answer.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Jan. You didn't answer my question and fell back on the usual sarcasm.. I will ask again. In what way will XP12 offer more to me than the other sim?  It's a genuine question. You are on the team and must know the answer.

Those who have it are under NDA so we all have to wait and see.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Just a guess, but if XP11 is any indication, working avionics and control systems. 🙂

Sometime i think that people who use MSFS are only flying at hotspots that they know.

I'm flying at places where i never was befor, so its no matter if its autogen or photorealistic.

For me its more important to fly an plane/helicopter that works as near as it gets to the real one.

Dirk

• Like 2

My Youtube Channel

Hardware Intel i5 12600k, Gigabyte Z690 UD, Gigabyte Nvidia 3070TI Gaming OC, Corsair Vegeance RGB 32GB Kit CL16

4 hours ago, Janov said:

Maybe you do - I see the instrument panel of my aircraft the most 😅

To anyone (like the two guys above my post) entertaining the slightest bit of hope in the most recluded corner of their hearts that XP12 will have scenery that bests MSFS...it won´t. It will be better than XP11 but not as good/realistic as MSFS.

So if looking at "the longest stone arch railroad bridge on earth" is of importance to you - look no further. Your best option for doing so is at your fingertips as I type and you don´t need to hold your breath for XP12.

Cheers, Jan

If XP12 scenery, lets say autogen is something like latest versions of simheaven I would be completely happy, if not I'm happy too. (However something is telling me that will be even better...)

• Upvote 1

Alexander Colka

7 hours ago, jarmstro said:

In what way will XP12 offer more to me than the other sim

Are we really doing this again?

XP12 has everything XP11 has plus mind blowing graphics. As the best in the business throw their heart and soul into bigger and better.

Ya'll have had the trailer

I can say for sure its not going to offer you physics like this:

https://clips.twitch.tv/embed?clip=UgliestSwissBobaEleGiggle-QGxkS8YwPqQwdI0G&parent=meta.tag

Unfortunately (for MS) Laminar dont have anyone with that level of incompetence on the team. So if thats what you enjoy....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

AutoATC Developer