Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Any new info on XP12 ground scenery / autogen?

15 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Only 6 months left of budget ? Why is that so ?

And concerning the navaids, while the lack of 3D building is a fact, I'm not sure we can really draw any conclusion out of this.

Isn't the lack of precise OSM-based autogen in XP11 a similar problem, after all ? Without addons like XEurope, the amount of VFR POIs is quite low as well: missing villages, missing roads, and much more. Aren't these just as important as 3D antennas for VORs ?

1 hour ago, Daube said:

Only 6 months left of budget ? Why is that so ?

There is only 6 months of 2022 left and they have no plans for 2023.

1 hour ago, Daube said:

Isn't the lack of precise OSM-based autogen in XP11 a similar problem

huh? no, missing non aviation specifics is a very different problem.

One that is, was and should only be addressed once the basics of flight simulation are rock solid.

What I see in MSFS is the typical "when you have a hammer" problem.

Their suits, who only care about graphics, looked at XP11s scenery, decided they could do better, and that meant it would be better.

Oblivious to the absolute fact that most scenery is among the least important aspects of a flight simulator - FSX was competitive with XP up until very recently and it doesnt even have global scenery....

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

huh? no, missing non aviation specifics is a very different problem.

100% agree... Aviation specific things are not like landscape OSM overlays... And I look forward to have in XP12 all missing airfields in XP11 and airports with only runways to have the taxiways too as I saw them available in MS Sim... 

Oh sorry did I mention I will leave the conversation 🙂

• Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

17 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

100% agree... Aviation specific things are not like landscape OSM overlays...

Well. maybe not everyone would.

However as far as I'm concerned FSX is still the better flight simulator in a head to head between FSX and MSFS. FSX is one of very few applications I actually miss not having a windows machine of my own anymore. Sure its old, and has significant problems that could never be fixed, but at least it had the basics pinned down.

I think microsofts biggest mistake was actually trying to compete with Laminar on the flight dynamics, just updating the art assets for FSX and leaving most everything else the same would have been infinitely better than breaking everything and then doing nothing well. But, the need to get it on the xbox trumped sanity.

At least the light they shone on XP in that process means that XP12 should end up getting the recognition it deserves.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

However as far as I'm concerned FSX is still the better flight simulator in a head to head between FSX and MSFS. FSX is one of very few applications I actually miss not having a windows machine of my own anymore. Sure its old, and has significant problems that could never be fixed, but at least it had the basics pinned down.

That's interesting, I still have FSX in my Steam library so it might be a good opportunity to reinstall it. (EDIT: now that read again, you didn't mention P3D... is there something wrong in P3Dv4 or v5 compared to FSX?).

Can you elaborate on which "basics" it had pinned down that MSFS or XPlane doesn't ? It's been a while since I last used that sim, but as far as I remember, the flight model was lacking acceptable ground contacts, navaids were not 3D objects, and there was no native support for things like SID and STARS. From a pure flight model perspective, the lookup tables were very good to get accurate performances/numbers, but for helicopters it was quite a different story (especially comparing to XPlane...).

Edited by Daube

6 minutes ago, Daube said:

you didn't mention P3D... is there something wrong in P3Dv4 or v5 compared to FSX?

just never got into it, I went FSX->XP10->XP11->PPLH->XP12

Not really an airliner guy pre 744, but know enough to say the PMDGs on P3D deserves their price and reputation.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Ah ok you switched to XP10... well, that was a good move I think, since P3D wasn't really worth the migration effort before the v3 at least... (I wanted to write v4 because of the 64 bits transition, but I didn't want to look down the effort made in v3 for the performance and the lighting system).

That being said, you haven't replied to the other question 😕

Edited by Daube

2 minutes ago, Daube said:

Ah ok you switched to XP10... well, that was a good move I think

kinda, I was more on FSX up to XP11.10 (when they did the real world data logging & matching vs the Bell 206), went back to FSX shortly after when all that got broken, didn't do much on flight sim at all up until early/mid 2018 when I ran into the ATC barriers (needed lots of ATC practice, didn't want to spend $750 for 5 minutes of practice - AutoATC was born to overcome that hurdle), passed my PPLH end of 2018, discovered VR around the same time, didn't get a VR setup really usable until XP11 was finished several years later.

Now, among other general flight sim interests I have some kind of VR flight in XP at least a couple of times a week when I'm in the home office, and do sparky744 stuff while listening to various reports/conferences.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

To add.

At the time I don't think any of ourselves had any choice but with switching over from FSX to XP10/11 as things were pretty much left up in the air (excuse the pun) after MS decided there was no further financial gain with the CBA modelling used leading to the acquisition of FSX which went through a couple of layers before dovetail (Train simulator fame which was another license acquired from MS) ended up with holding the license until more recently being taken back back by MS through the clause in the license rights of there material in the contract which is the same contract that Lockheed Martin signed up too that Microsoft reserve the rights to withdraw the license of there material. So!, think yourself lucky that we have Xplane as an alternative which is not subject to the written clause like this! hehehe 🙂 

MSFS is only as good as how successful Xbox sales are due to there being no value from Windows OS anymore since quiet a few years ago unlike the value in something like Windows 95 back in the day and I wish the situation was different but that is the the reality of where things are now in 2022.

Personally I'm looking to switch over from windows os to linux maybe with Steam OS3 or POP as the writing is already on the wall with windows os as it becomes more restrictive with being a point of data collection of activity rather than being something in functional to use as an operating system.

Edited by ianlighting
  • Like 4

On 6/5/2022 at 7:52 AM, Daube said:

I wonder if some "World Update" patch might improve the area in future, maybe ? 🙂

Guaranteed w/ the architecture--you can fully expect as satellite data/resolution and BlackShark AI improves so will the sim, without you doing anything to make it happen.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 minutes ago, Noel said:

Guaranteed w/ the architecture--you can fully expect as satellite data/resolution and BlackShark AI improves so will the sim, without you doing anything to make it happen.

Somewhat like OSM in XP. 👍

Osmdbstats2.png

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

On 4/20/2022 at 5:20 PM, jarmstro said:

So what will it have? I'm struggling to have a reason to keep 2.5TB of data on my drive? Exactly in what areas will XP12 give me more than MSFS? I'm not trolling the question is genuine. What exactly wil XP12 have that is a step forward to what is already on offer?

Have you not watched a single Dev Deep Dive video on XP12?    If you did put them on, did you fall asleep through ALL of them?

• Upvote 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Have you not watched a single Dev Deep Dive video on XP12?    If you did put them on, did you fall asleep through ALL of them?

If it's so obvious, could you help us see it?

• Like 2

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

12 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Not when he posted that, no, seeing as the deep dives came after the 20th April.....

AutoATC Developer

Just now, mSparks said:

Not when he posted that, no, seeing as the deep dives came after the 20th April.....

Good point ☺️

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home