Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Collection of real life 737 pilots opinions on PMDG 737 here

Hi.  With the PMDG 737 coming out, I thought a topic that strictly lists the opinions (or reviews) of real life 737 pilots on the PMDG 737 would be useful for me and many others, so we can collect the opinions/reviews in one place (yes, another PMDG 737 thread unfortunately, but I really would like to collate real life 737 pilot opinion/reviews in one place).  I think this topic can be used during the beta period of the PMDG 737, and also when the PMDG 737 is released.  I also know that some real life 737 pilots post here at Avsim so your opinions or reviews are also welcome in this thread.  Of course, some of the real life 737 pilots can only give their opinion from a spectator's point of view since the PMDG 737 has not come out yet so if the opinion of a real life 737 pilot is posted here please note whether they are in the beta or not (when the PMDG 737 is released, you probably don't need to note this).  Feel free to post the opinions/reviews of what real life 737 pilots have said about the PMDG 737 that you have read across the internet.  Unless you are a real life 737 pilot here at Avsim responding to this thread, please post a link to your source of the real life 737 pilot's opinion/review so we an verify your source as well. And of course, the opinion/review can be negative or positive.  

Let me start this thread off from a few real life 737 pilot opinions/reviews that I have read already:

1. 737NG Driver, a "Boeing 737 pilot for a European airline" according to his profile, who has access to the PMDG beta.  Please note 737NG Driver was a "technical advisor" to PMDG team throughout the PMDG 737 development though so take his comment with a grain of salt.  Here is 737NG Driver's comment when asked how well the "PMDG represents the 737":

Pretty darn well actually!
You can fly it by the books, but not just limited to that. They actually included a lot of the non documented features as well. I'll probably make a video on some of these at a later point.

Comment Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jUtHcLphjE

2. OffDescent, a guest 737 pilot who appeared on Fabio's stream.  OffDescent does not have access to the beta, but was watching Fabio fly the PMDG 737 on his stream:

really impressed by what I'm seeing so far, this looks like a big improvement over the P3D version which was already very good

Comment source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1461278701?t=03h27m55s  (thanks to @lwt1971 for this link)

3. Cristian B777 pilot, who also has access to the beta.  I believe Cristian B777 is a real life 777 pilot?  In the Youtube video, he seems to imply he has flown a 737 in real life based on his comment (he probably has the technical 737 qualifications if PMDG invited him to the beta):

Everything works in this airplane, quite similar to the real plane, so it's a very beautiful experience you will have in this one ... if you already have experience flying the P3D or the FSX models of PMDG, you know what to expect, everything works, everything is just perfect, so no difference in this one.

Comment source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ12U0l_Avc&t=27s

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 24
  • Upvote 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I'm watching 737NG Driver now. It's not a live stream for those that don't like that sort of thing.

• Like 3

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

Do we really need 6789 differents threads about the PMDG (basically, all saying the same thing)?

Maybe the mods should consolidate all the different threads into one.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JSmith2112 said:

I'm watching 737NG Driver now. It's not a live stream for those that don't like that sort of thing.

One of the best videos I've ever watched on any flight sim topic, let alone the PMDG 737.

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

There is a second video of 737NG driver where he shows hydraulic failures :

Edited by -Belga-
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

Do we really need 6789 differents threads about the PMDG (basically, all saying the same thing)?

This thread is different from the other PMDG NG3 threads.  Some people are interested in this topic yet don't want to scour thru other threads that are very long.  Nobody is forcing you to read this...

• Like 36
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

PMDG love-ins are always welcomed here.

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

What we need are threads that contain actual reviews, with valid criticisms and/or praise and every other kind of feedback inbetween, from *actual* experts... a lot of us are really interested in this, so it's a good idea for this thread as the other ones contain a lot of noise (albeit from a vocal minority) who seem to be comically insisting on declaring to us over and over how they're not getting this aircraft, or how they hate all the attention PMDG is getting, etc etc.

That said, in addition to my link that Abrams posted, I wanted to point out that from this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1461278701?t=02h10m55s portion of the stream onwards (cruise to landing), it was a very informative and educational session as the guest 737 captain came on Fabio's stream to discuss the flight, the PMDG aircraft, 737 ops, and give instructions/tips/feedback, etc etc.  The IRL pilot is also an avid simmer on P3D using PMDG's birds, Zibo 737 on XP, etc. Well worth the watch. More about the pilot here: https://www.twitch.tv/offscheddescent/about

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

3 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

What we need are threads that contain actual reviews, with valid criticisms and/or praise and every other kind of feedback inbetween, from *actual* experts... a lot of us are really interested in this, so it's a good idea for this thread as the other ones contain a lot of noise (albeit from a vocal minority) who seem to be comically insisting on declaring to us over and over how they're not getting this aircraft, or how they hate all the attention PMDG is getting, etc etc.

Yup.  There is too much noise in the other threads.  This thread is made to cut through that noise, so we get actual, informative, feedback from real life 737 pilots.  

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Boeing_Driver said:

Wish I could offer something of value, but I haven't been involved in the Beta process. Once it comes out, I'll definitely have something to say.  ;o)

If you watch some of the streams, you can get an idea of how it flies. Of course, it doesn't compare to if you fly it yourself, but it still gives you an idea of its capabilities.

4 hours ago, -Belga- said:

I'll be amazed to have that lighting and reflection in my beloved 737. It looks stunning.

• Like 1

I'll just add that 737 driver confirmed that performance / FPS is equal to the FBW and CRJ (comments in the first video on youtube: "fps are really good, they are about the same as the FBW Airbus or the Aerosoft CRJ. If those run on your system then the PMDG 737 for MSFS will as well.")

• Like 4

5 hours ago, -Belga- said:

Great video 🙂

André