Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

SP1 and Blurries: a suggestion

And btw, HOW MANY cores are engaged in my system at AffinityMask=2? (instead of value 3)?Can I say for a 2-core system it is the same as:AffinityMask=2Many thanks for your answer.Dirk.

I appreciate you still providing suggestions on this issue. I have no stutters anymore, and I am not sure why, I have good FPS, but I have the blurries.I have tried every tweak in the treads, and your blog and some other bizarre ones suggested by folks. Nothing seems to work.I have a dual core machine, and had affinitymask=3 so I tried =1 instead like you are suggesting, nothing happens no change.So just for the fun of it I went and put in my default fsx.cfg and nothing changed, still blurries but good FPS.I dont know what to do anymore.I have 2 gigs RAM, Radeon X1600 PCI express, latest drivers.Any ideas?I did not to a complete reintall of fsx, I am thinking of removing fsx and doing a complete reinstall then patch it up as some others seem to have good success with this approach.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

You are using only one core, that being number 2. If you set it to 1, then you use core number 1. If you want to verify this yourself, bring up windows task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) while you are running FSX.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>You are using only one core, that being number 2. If you set>it to 1, then you use core number 1. If you want to verify>this yourself, bring up windows task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL)>while you are running FSX.>>GaryThanks Gary, I will. In the meantime which core do you think I'm using? Is it # 0 or 1?Dirk.

Okay, I was trying to simplify by calling the cores number 1 and 2, but as you say they are actually numbered 0 and 1. So, setting AffinityMask to 1 uses core 0 only , AffinityMask to 2 uses core 1 only and AffinityMask to 3 uses both core 0 and 1.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>Okay, I was trying to simplify by calling the cores number 1>and 2, but as you say they are actually numbered 0 and 1. So,>setting AffinityMask to 1 uses core 0 only , AffinityMask to 2>uses core 1 only and AffinityMask to 3 uses both core 0 and>1.>>GaryThanks again, Gary. Now this setting is 100% clear to me.Dirk.

Guest jcmckeown

Hello Phil,I have tried the tweak (using only 1 core of my core duo) and unfortunately it didn't help. My main issue is with large photographic sceneries (FranceVFR) because that's where blurries is the most obvious however I am also getting the issue with stock textures. Reverting back to RTM cures the problem immediately and textures load very well. Obviously it's not the ideal solution because all other benefits of SP1 are lost.I initially suspected something in my Vista install so yesterday I installed a fresh vista with no other apps/services running (apart from the up to date NVIDIA video drivers)and that didn't help either. If necessary I can try and make some videos with FRAPS. The difference between RTM (crisp clear textures) and SP1 (horrible blurries) is blatant. Basically with SP1 when I load up all textures are fine but as soon as I start moving core 2 goes up to 100% and then literally texture loading gets behind me (I can see clear textures behind the aircraft but not around and in front). After a whil it packs up completly and I'm flying in a blurry mess.All comparisons between SP1 and RTM are with the same FSX.cfg, same flight, same aircraft, same trajectory, same speed, same FSX settings, etc. All I need to do is a simple uninstall of SP1 to fix blurries. FSX.cfg is back to stock although in the past week I must have tried every possible tweak in this forum. It seems to me that the texture loading algorithm has changed with SP1 and that textures are loaded much further from the aircraft but with less priority given to close textures. Obviously this is just speculation and I have no clue what what has really been coded...Rgds,JCMKCore 2 duo 66008800 GTSRAID 0 74GB raptor x22 GB RAMVista Ultimate

>>>This is what I have.>>http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=2432>>Anyhow I have been thinking of getting a more overclockable>motherboard.>> On another page (INTEL), I do see the 945P listed as compatible with the C2D's I guess they don't keep there spec sheets in sync to well!!BTW my system has a 975X chipset!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Do you get the blurries with the SP1 default scenery? Or only with photo-scenery?Did you try the mipbias tweak for photo-scenery suggested by Gary Summons?

I get blurries, with the default scenery. The textures get loaded in the end, but only at the moment I am passing them, which is a bit too late imho. So it's not that bad that everything is blurred all the time, but it isn't pretty. I tried every tweak, also the ones from the blog, bot none helps. Not at all, really: I cannot see any difference. Along the way I found out that when I go from autogen Normal to Dense, my fps drops 50% (from 20-23 to 10-13, no matter what settings I use, even with everything off!): I hoped this would also cure my blurries problem, but it didn't. Seems there are a lot of things going on in the background that don't really relate to each other! I mean, lowering some options doesn't automatically raise the fps or prevent the blurries. Complicated stuff...

Guest MauiHawk

>Did you try the mipbias tweak for photo-scenery suggested by>Gary Summons?Every time I've seen this suggested, it is always reported that this tweak makes autogen shimmer at an intolerable level. (I've tried it as well) As far as I'm concerned, this setting is not doable if you are using autogen. Does anyone disagree?

And I heard a suggestion about AA, because the tree alpha is handled differently. Did you see that?And, what about differing values for mipbias? I have seen down to 4 used.

Guest MauiHawk

>And I heard a suggestion about AA, because the tree alpha is>handled differently. Did you see that?No, I didn't, but I'm pretty sure I experiemented with my AA and AF settings when I set MipBias. If I remember correctly, turning off filtering completely with MipBias set looked like it caused everything (or at least the sky) to be rendered in 256 colors or something.>And, what about differing values for mipbias? I have seen down>to 4 used.FS doesn't seem to accept a value of 4-- I didn't notice any diff after setting it, and when I went back to the cfg file the value was gone. Others have reported the same.

>And I heard a suggestion about AA, because the tree alpha is>handled differently. Did you see that?Meaning low FSAA settings might help (a lot)? I got FSAA at 4x in the driver panel and off in FSX. So 2x might be better (as far as fsp is concerned)? And might turning on FSAA in FSX (and turning it to app controlled in the driver) help? I'm asking because I cannot test it right now. ;)And oh yes, is the tree handled differently in SP1 or also before that? If it's changed in SP1 that might explain my big problems with trees...