Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

In and around (scenic) Bear Gulch Airstrip, WA...

In my previous post, I'd explored the fascinating KCMW (Cushman Meadows) scenery pack from Orbx, which comes with an interesting additional (hypothetical) airstrip.... Bear Gulch (WA38). Bear Gulch Airport consists of a unique wooden (bridge-like) runway segment (see shots below), thanks to the imagination of the scenery creator. A small creek goes underneath the runway and this creek is spanned by the narrow wooden structure which forms part of the total runway (my simulation MAP shows the length of the Rwy as 1411 feet, and elevation 760 feet).

Lake Cushman (WA) is rather well-known (and easy to spot on the MAP) in the picturesque region of Olympic Peninsula...I read, "...Lake Cushman's shoreline is dotted with resorts and rental cabins...The lake is notable for its beautiful crystal-clear blue water...etc..". It is surrounded on all sides by the scenic mountains of the Olympic Range (I'd included a few pictures of these mountains in my previous post). The lake is rather peculiarly shaped...thin and long, spreading from Northwest to Southeast. Orbx's KCMW is situated (appx.) 2/3rd down the length of the lake, and WA38 (Bear Gulch) is situated at the northernmost corner of the lake. In my previous post, after lifting off KCMW Rwy, I'd followed the lake south while gaining (valuable) altitude over the waters of the lake (the "turbocharged" (twin) Lycoming (piston) engines of the PA31 Chieftain, had made it all easy...🙂...) ...before I had ventured outward over the peaks of the Olympic Mountains...for the pictures I'd shown earlier...

Here, for this small airstrip, WA38 (Bear Gulch), I've gone back to a Cessna Skylane II RG R182 (a high-performance four-seat light aircraft with Retractable Gear (= RG), also powered by a Lycoming engine) ...I've lifted off Rwy 14, south towards the lake, then making a slow U-turn over the lake (with full extended flaps and gears down) and have retraced my track back in the reverse direction to land on Rwy 32. My landing shots (see below) hardly reflect the level of difficulty and challenge I actually experienced...🙂...in bringing the a/c down onto this narrow and tight airstrip, which is closely surrounded by high mountains. Though I landed a bit off-center, I did manage to come to rest in the field just in front of the farmyard (barn)... (I mean in front of the main airport building...see sign "BEAR GULCH AVIATION...HOODSPORT WA"...) ...

I've also shown, below, a few other sights around this airport, including the last two shots where twilight (my favorite time of the day in the resort) has fallen over the lake and my (virtual) summer home...🙂...which directly faces the lake.... Hope you enjoy this account and these pictures of the C182, dressed in the (unforgettable) image of someone famous from the 1950s...as created by an (equally) imaginative (SIM) repainter...with the a/c flying around Bear Gulch (WA), at the edge of Lake Cushman...in my virtual world...

Thanks for viewing...!!

nhXMJ8.png

Xb7l00.png

po8dKG.png

gbNTuM.png

KTz0tZ.png

QkuQYe.png

qRnCq2.png

gzQ6HP.png

dIxzpi.png

UcAqAX.png

PWThmk.png

3HxHQ8.png

3uHl7V.png

XdQXhi.png

3gYVpQ.png

qsbWff.png

9gC0vE.png

mMGzG9.png

X6f9m3.png

bu1PB9.png

• Like 5

I throughly enjoyed your post mate , that paint is amazing along with of course the Orbx scenery . 

Edited by johnbow72
  • Like 3

Marilyn was Marilyn, unforgettable forever !

Very nice shots with a fine scenery..

cheers 😉

• Like 3

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

johnb, pmplayer, Alaska, Phantoms, Ed:

Thank you...!!

On 4/21/2022 at 7:14 AM, johnbow72 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed your post mate , that paint is amazing along with of course the Orbx scenery . 

Remembrances of the place...from the younger days...🙂...always worthwhile...!!

• Like 2