Sign in to follow this  
tra1245

What settings do you use to reach the 'Holy Grail' of MSFS

2 hours ago, Victoroos said:

I shouldn't need vsynch right?

V-sync on in nVidia panel, v-sync off in MSFS. Also in the nVidia panel enable G-Sync for Window and Full Screen.

I like my LOD set to 300 for great ground textures, but it gives me CTDs if I go that high with some of the freeware photo sceneries I have in some places.  I run at 1440 with most settings on ultra with a 5600X and RTX3070.

Altough I have a G Sync 1440 monitor, I found it better to set it to 60 hz and use v sync limited to 30 fps after a lot of trial and error.

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I always liked what Rdpresets did for P3D shader settings and noticed their Guide v2 for MSFS2020. I remember how Nick's Bible helped in both FSX and P3D and this guide was doing the same thing, tuning the flight sim to your hardware. Price was reasonable, Nick's was free.

Long story short, I followed the guide like a religion as I did with Nick's Bible. Took a sim that was running good and helped it to run great. Explained a lot of the different sim settings, too. Current beta v1.25.7 does not seem to have broken any of the suggested settings. FPS locked at 30 before, 45-53 unlimited now.

I use TrackIR5 and always had micro stutters when in Spot Mode looking down at approx 45 degrees. No longer a problem after going thru the guide. Easier to find golf courses now.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

This brings up a key question: which settings have the lowest bang for the buck? In other words, which settings consume a lot of CPU or GPU cycles and don't produce a noticeable visual impact. I've messed around enough to have an opinion on which ones make a visual difference, but I haven't taken the time to measure the FPS impact of each one.

There's this excellent post/ guide: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-su5-complete-retest-8-2-2021/132407/1

It's a lot to sift through though. 

Just curious - which specific settings do you all scale back? Especially those of you that said "ultra with a few things at high" which specific settings do you have at high?

On 4/21/2022 at 1:13 PM, tra1245 said:

Hi all, first system specs: i9900k (4.8Ghz), 2080 ti, 32 gigs of ram ddr4 2600, 1TB M.2 nvme ssd.

Next, what I consider the 'Holy Grail' of flight simming: To be able to fly any aircraft at any speed at any altitude at any location at any time of day with any kind of weather with any addon and to always have a smooth and stutter free flight experience.(30fps or better) Easy right?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Terry

We have the same machine save my GPU is a bit stronger. What is your display resolution?  I ALWAYS am flying to your definition of Holy Grail, and that includes B78X HD, and AS CRJ.  Here's the way to do it:

1. All settings on Ultra is fine.  8X SS, 16X AF.   Lens Correction must be OFF (messes w/ click spot alignment) and I disable Motion Blur.
  2. As others have said:  Vsync on in MSFS.  If you want to really adhere to your critieria for Holy Grail, your best option is setting your refresh to 60Hz, and use the 30 divisor in MSFS which gets you 1/2 of 60Hz or a solid frame rate of 30, regarless of plane/airport/etc.  If you have true Gsync my understanding is you do not need to set Vsync on in MSFS as Gsync is dynamic Vsync as it were.  I just have no idea if it's really comparable to Vsync at a frame lock your hardware can handle.  And as you were careful to say, "ALWAYS have smooth and stutter-free flight..."   A critical aspect of using Vsync:  you'll enjoy smooth/stutter-free UNLESS your hardware can't maintain the frame rate you're set up for then stutters ensue.  I can guarantee you with your hardware, 30FPS is the maximum you can sustain IF you really are aiming for you definition of Holy Grail.
  3. Terrain LOD:  this is the most critical setting for your hardware to be very cognizant of.  When you are setting up your flight you will need to consider general complexity of departure and arrival airports--but be aware MSFS accrues a kind of CPU processing debt that makes it such that even when the arrival airport is of similar complexity as the departure airport, it will be de facto harder on your CPU, period.   This fools people because they assume since both settings very similar they should both perform the same, but that ignores the accrued processing debt (probably not the best phrase for this but...).  For example, I can fly OUT of EDDF in the B78X HD w/ T-LOD at 170 and have totally smooth fluid departure.  If I fly IN to EDDF from a few hours away, no way the machine will maintain the critical 30FPS to avoid any stuttering.  It really needs to have T-LOD down around 120 or so to be able to maintain 30FPS upon arrival there.   Here's a different example:  flying the Cessna Longitude out of say KSHR (rural nothing airport in Sheridan, Wyoming) I can set T-LOD to 400 and be totally fine, and flying into a similarly benign rural airport very likely will be fine at 400 there as well.   Now, if you want to do what your other criteria suggested, "set it and forget it", then my guess for your hardware is T-LOD of 100 or 120.  What's saving grace is that the diff between 120 and 200 is really not much!  Object LOD has some impact as do some of the other controls but again w/ our hardware I never look at those--soley Terrain LOD.  I leave Object LOD at 200.
  4. Be very careful w/ Render Scale, esp w/ your GPU--certain clouds will impact it bigtime if beyond 100.

• Like 3

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I don't play with settings at all. Those gloomy days with FSX/P3D are long gone!

I just leave at the High global preset, which was automatically selected on first install for my PC. Looks and runs good for me.

• Like 5

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

19 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

I don't play with settings at all. Those gloomy days with FSX/P3D are long gone!

I just leave at the High global preset, which was automatically selected on first install for my PC. Looks and runs good for me.

Same here, High plus lock at 30 fps.

Set and forget. 🙂

• Like 1

Bert

On 4/21/2022 at 11:00 PM, Ixoye said:

Personally, I do not see any major difference, but there may be a bigger difference in 4K, but I can run clouds in Ultra if it is not foggy, fog takes a lot of performance for me.

Exactly my experience. Seeing complex clouds from a distance doesn't cost me any fps, but flying through foggy clouds costs me dropping from 60 fps to 50 or 45 fps.

Does anyone know why is that? I thought our modern cards are able to handle such basic effect as fog easily...

I am on i7 10700K and RTX3070 in 1440p, ultra.

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

On 4/21/2022 at 9:13 PM, tra1245 said:

Hi all, first system specs: i9900k (4.8Ghz), 2080 ti, 32 gigs of ram ddr4 2600, 1TB M.2 nvme ssd.

Next, what I consider the 'Holy Grail' of flight simming: To be able to fly any aircraft at any speed at any altitude at any location at any time of day with any kind of weather with any addon and to always have a smooth and stutter free flight experience.(30fps or better) Easy right?

Before MSFS 2020 I owned FSX,P3D, Xplane 9,10,11. Like many of you I have spent many thousands of dollars on computer and monitor upgrades plus many addons to try to achieve a realistic flight experience.

MSFS 2020 I am running version #1.24.50. I find myself always fiddling with the graphics options to find that sweet spot to fulfill that holy grail setting: Going thru parts of North Dakota on a clear day in the Cessna, Max out those graphic settings!!! Taking the F18 into Paris at night during a thunderstorm, back everything off! Way off!!! You get the idea.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to achieve that 'Holy Grail'  of MSFS 2020 with decent graphic setting , you know, set it and forget it.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Terry

Have a high end system but locked at 30 fps and with Vsync best decision I could make local... smooth at Ultra not a single stutter and with Fenix and AIG at Brussel for example :-)
It never goes below and the perceived speed / smoothness is far higher as in the past to achieve 60 FPS with stutters...

André

I always wondered, how can people who use TrackIR lock FPS at 30? If I do that, the image quality (smoothness) when looking around is just terrible. It's ok if the view is fixed and the only thing that moves is outside the window but when real-time tracking with TIR is introduced in the equation it all goes south. That's my experience with all the computers I had, so it's not a hardware issue, and all the sims I had (FSX, P3D, MSFS), so it's not a sim issue. I have to run FPS on unlimited (in MSFS it's at 60) to get the smooth visuals. Even in situations when I only get 35 FPS for example, with setting at unlimited or 60, the movements are in general very smooth with occasional stutter, but locking it at 30 it becomes a mess. I always wondered if it has something to do with how TrackIR handles movement or it's just a fact that when using TrackIR basically every single pixel on the screen is moving ALL the time, on the other hand with fixed view mostly only what's outside the window is moving. I dunno, that' just my experience. 

My holy grail: if you use NVidia graphics card, the setting that makes a huge difference in smoothness for me is "Low Latency Mode = Ultra" in NVCP.

Edited by Tomaz Drnovsek

3 things made my "Holy Grail" possible:

1. EVGA 3080ti

2. Turning on vsync in Nvidia Control Panel.

3. Setting max fps to 30 in NCP, 

• Upvote 1

Fulcrum One Yoke / FSProjects Airbus Side Stick, Honeycomb Bravo, Slaw Device RX Viper V2

Intel i9 10900K, EVGA 3080Ti FTW, 32GB RAM

All settings medium, bloom, etc. turned off. Vsync on. fps locked at 30, etc.

I never fiddle around with settings. Set it and forget it.

9 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I always wondered, how can people who use TrackIR lock FPS at 30? If I do that, the image quality (smoothness) when looking around is just terrible. It's ok if the view is fixed and the only thing that moves is outside the window but when real-time tracking with TIR is introduced in the equation it all goes south. That's my experience with all the computers I had, so it's not a hardware issue, and all the sims I had (FSX, P3D, MSFS), so it's not a sim issue. I have to run FPS on unlimited (in MSFS it's at 60) to get the smooth visuals. Even in situations when I only get 35 FPS for example, with setting at unlimited or 60, the movements are in general very smooth with occasional stutter, but locking it at 30 it becomes a mess. I always wondered if it has something to do with how TrackIR handles movement or it's just a fact that when using TrackIR basically every single pixel on the screen is moving ALL the time, on the other hand with fixed view mostly only what's outside the window is moving. I dunno, that' just my experience. 

My holy grail: if you use NVidia graphics card, the setting that makes a huge difference in smoothness for me is "Low Latency Mode = Ultra" in NVCP.

I'm not sure what some simmers like yourself have those problems with TrackIR. I run MSFS locked at 30FPS, and I have been a TrackIR user since before MSFS (all the way back to FSX), and anytime I have my TIR unpaused, it does not affect my smoothness or FPS in any way. And, it has been this way for me on at least my last three systems. Granted, right now I am running a very good system, but even on older systems I did not have a smoothness problem with TIR. I have heard others have the same type of problem you are having, and the only thing I can think of, if it's not hardware related, is something to do with the way you have your settings set in the TrackIR software. I always use one of the default profiles in the TrackIR software, I think it's the 'Smooth' one. I then make a few minor tweaks to that, but not much. And that is what I have been doing since FSX, through P3D and into MSFS. And it works just great. I wish we could figure out why some folks like yourself are having this problem you described.

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

15 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I always wondered, how can people who use TrackIR lock FPS at 30?

Absolutely. You can't!  This is where us TrackIR users break away from the "it's all perfect at 30 FPS" users. before I got TrackIR, I'd have agreed, 30 FPS was perfect for the slow, steady viewpoint movements made by a hat switch or mouse.    But with TrackIR, you get a lack of smoothness at 30 FPS.    I lock my FPS at 40 FPS but actually, I find anything from 36 FPS upwards is great for TrackIR.  

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

13 hours ago, sniper31 said:

I think it's the 'Smooth' one.

Well, maybe that's the difference. If I remember correctly I found that "Smooth" one has too much delay for my taste, I want something as close to "real time" as it gets. I indeed use the same profile for all those years, it's called "Seth flight" - maybe it's all about the speed of movements or maybe it's actually something going on with the profile. I never thought something may be wrong with it since it's a very popular profile.

• Like 1