Sign in to follow this  
PebbleBeach

TREES, Doggone Trees

Hi all,

I've been working on re-doing Mach-1's KRNO and decided to take a break and do some flying in the sim. I flew from KBOI (Boise) to KBIL (Billings). Both airports are very well done by freeware authors. However, KBIL, which is part of the freeware scenery release "Montana Unleashed", has me baffled. Upon landing, there were trees everywhere. Next to the runways, along every taxiway, etc. etc. So many that I could not see the terminals. Afterwhich, I chose each airport in the "Montana Unleased" and found the same thing. TREES EVERYWHERE. And mind you, these are very well done airports by the author.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? I've researched that airports may need flatten switches and and noticed in the "Montana Unleashed" scenery directory there exists such files. But everyone of these airports are the same as it relates to TREES.

Thank you,
Mitch

Back in the day there were a couple of scenery utilities that generated more trees. They are still in the library and one, treegen.zip, has backups for the original FS9 tree files. If nothing else, you can try and use those files to restore and see if that corrects the issue...

Assuming it's the default autogen trees you're seeing, it's not a flatten you need, but an exclude.

Try disabling autogen temporarily and see if the trees disappear - Options | Settings | Display … you can activate and deactivate autogen from within the program without having to restart it.

It's just possible that the scenery developer(s) choose to fly with autogen disabled.

Thank you both for your responses. 

Chris, I checked the scenery folder and there is no mention of any _exclude files as you indicated. I have not had a chance to disable autogen yet as you suggest. But for the life of me, why would anyone go to the trouble of designing airports like these and omit autogen? These are very decent airports in this package. Without autogen it would be a very flat world out there.

Mitch

29 minutes ago, PebbleBeach said:

Thank you both for your responses. 

Chris, I checked the scenery folder and there is no mention of any _exclude files as you indicated. I have not had a chance to disable autogen yet as you suggest. But for the life of me, why would anyone go to the trouble of designing airports like these and omit autogen? These are very decent airports in this package. Without autogen it would be a very flat world out there.

Mitch

There may well be no specific "exclude" files, the exclude parameter can be incorporated in a standard scenery file, though if your troublesome trees are autogen, that seems unlikely in this case ;)

Autogen can eat into frame-rates, especially on an older pc. If the scenery is especially complicated, the author may have decided losing autogen was the better of two evils, but you'd need to ask them that ;)

It's also possible the airports in question were designed for use with photographic scenery rather than the default FS world, in which case there would be no default autogen to worry about.

Just out of interest, I did a quick ZipDive of the "Montana Unleashed" download here on AvSim and there are exclude files in the original package, so maybe you've "lost" them somewhere?

Edited by chris_eve
update

Mitch,

You must have some missing files. Check you have installed and enabled all of them.

Have installed on my setup temporarily, and with Autogen set at Extremely Dense there is not a tree in sight. Some airports have separate exclude files with EXCL in the name, but others (like Billings) look as if the exclude is in the main scenery file.

(I take it you haven't attempted to modify any airports, that's a good way to delete inbuilt excludes!)

John

Edited by John Hinson

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

For this kind of thing I use a simple little program called "Exclude Maker" with which one can exclude scenery objects in any self specified rectangle based on your existing ground scenery. Slew your aircraft pointed due North to the top-left hand corner of your area to be excluded, press the related button and then move your aircraft to the bottom-right hand corner and press the other related button. The end result is a BGL file which must be placed within the airport scenery folder concerned, Always worth a try.

Good luck

Hans

12 hours ago, John Hinson said:

Mitch,

You must have some missing files. Check you have installed and enabled all of them.

Have installed on my setup temporarily, and with Autogen set at Extremely Dense there is not a tree in sight. Some airports have separate exclude files with EXCL in the name, but others (like Billings) look as if the exclude is in the main scenery file.

(I take it you haven't attempted to modify any airports, that's a good way to delete inbuilt excludes!)

John

John,

Thank you. I certainly will re-download and re-install to insure all files are accounted for.

Mitch

Thank you as well Hans.

unfortunately I I don't have time to do this for all the airports included in this package.

Mitch

Mitch,

If you find you do need to create exclude areas it is incredibly easy with ADE or AFX if you have either - its just a case of drawing a rectangle, or a series of smaller ones and marking it/them for Autogen . . .

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

there is also Ray Lunning's enhancement with Ultimate Terrain of Lauren Robison's Montana Airports (montn4ut.zip here in the avsim library); I believe Ray made an enhancement for Part 1 only...in any case, worth looking into as Ray's enhancements make compatible the airports with the surroundings with revised afcad and ground/aiport polys, especially when using accurate vector scenery like ultimate terrain!

cheers!

On May 9, 2022 at 4:04 PM, Engine9 said:

there is also Ray Lunning's enhancement with Ultimate Terrain of Lauren Robison's Montana Airports (montn4ut.zip here in the avsim library); I believe Ray made an enhancement for Part 1 only...in any case, worth looking into as Ray's enhancements make compatible the airports with the surroundings with revised afcad and ground/aiport polys, especially when using accurate vector scenery like ultimate terrain!

cheers!

Wow! Thank you much. Will check it out.

Mitch

Indeed, Ray Lunning's Ultimate Terrain enhancements are a must have! do check out his other airport enhancement efforts: search for Ray Lunning in flightsim and avsim flight libraries - especially worth noting are his efforts for Mach-1 Design Group sceneries and sceneries by Brandon de Palo and John B. Loney; in addition to other vfr enhancements like stadiums for ultimate terrain and bridges for ultimate terrain...

cheers!

Edited by Engine9

23 hours ago, Engine9 said:

Indeed, Ray Lunning's Ultimate Terrain enhancements are a must have! do check out his other airport enhancement efforts: search for Ray Lunning in flightsim and avsim flight libraries - especially worth noting are his efforts for Mach-1 Design Group sceneries and sceneries by Brandon de Palo and John B. Loney; in addition to other vfr enhancements like stadiums for ultimate terrain and bridges for ultimate terrain...

cheers!

I know a few of his vfr enhancements require QLRP4UT. And that link is now broken. You wouldn't have those files would you? Thanks!

Edited by trioer