Sign in to follow this  
fclaass

Parking aircraft with transponder left on

Hi,

I noticed a little thing with P3D using PSXT.  Some aircraft are live parked correctly, but then leave their transponder on for some time. During that time the aircraft is still live parked, but somehow when they then finally shut off the transponder (like 15-30 mins after parking), the live parked aircraft also disappears.

Happens to me at EHAM, LOWW and some more airports.

Maybe there's something you can do about it, it isn't happening too often though 😉

That should only happen if the live aircraft is not parked, because it is too far from the parking position.

If it is really parked, so aligned at the parking position, it should stay there for a maximum of 16 hours  also if the transponder is switched off.

Do you see it disappear in the latter situation?

Edited by kiek

You could try the new function "Auto correct" for the affected airports. Sometimes the radius of the stand/gate is simply to small. The said function is great at adjusting this in the background, hence more aircraft stay parked even when they switch of the transponder.

Hi @kiek the above problem doesn't seem to appear anymore in newer versions. Thanks for constantly enhancing the product!

One thing I'm noticing though, and yes it's nitpicking, so I can understand if nothing can be done about it. I see this behaviour on several airports:

- Aircraft arrives at gate - get's "live parked"

- The aircraft stays there neatly, as it's supposed to

- When the aircraft turns on the transponder for the return flight, however, it dissappears

- Usually the aircraft appears again when the pushback has actually started, which can sometimes be quite some time later than the transponder was turned on. Sometimes the aircraft only appears when the taxi out has started, so the pushback is not visualised.

Hopefully something can be done about it, I'm just sometimes wondering where did the plane go 🙂

Edited by fclaass

1 hour ago, fclaass said:

- When the aircraft turns on the transponder for the return flight, however, it dissappears

If that happens, then that is because the transponder was switched on when the aircraft was already say more then 100 meters away from the gate.

However, I've seen many examples of aicraft making a return flight starting at the gate.

So, it all depends on the data coming from RT. There is nothing I can do about it.

14 hours ago, kiek said:

If that happens, then that is because the transponder was switched on when the aircraft was already say more then 100 meters away from the gate.

However, I've seen many examples of aicraft making a return flight starting at the gate.

So, it all depends on the data coming from RT. There is nothing I can do about it.

Understood, already thought so. Thanks for your quick response 🙂 

@kiek just to be sure that we're on the same page. I am observing at LSGG now and wanted to specify what I meant. 

During the time between turning on the transponder, and actually making movement (so speed > 1 knots), the aircraft is visible on RT, but not in the sim. It disappears from the gate during this time. It appears in the sim again once the moving has started, either pushback or taxi. That can either be at the gate again, or already on the taxiway. 

It doesn't seem to be a RT problem though because during the time that the aircraft has it's transponder on, it's visible on the RT stream. So that's why I thought maybe it could be finetuned withing PSXT.

Edited by fclaass