Sign in to follow this  
ark4diusz

Leonardo Maddog to be released 30 April!

7 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Great, see the Maddog cost 120$ for P3D and will now cost about 80$ in MSFS. That's even a much bigger price reduction than PMDG did, so what's your point?

Anyway I suppose anyone who flew that thing in P3D knows it's worth any single penny, but I know, if I hadn't flown it in P3D I would also think it's overpriced, just because I wouldn't know what an incredible simulation this is (like 2 levels above PMDG). I never felt that immersed in any aircraft like in the Maddog. I think it will sell well at least down the line, when people got bored by the 737. It's a bad timing for Leonardo and PMDG, to be honest. But the real "loser" will be the 146 I suppose...

I see it’s 95 Euro, or about $100 USD for the P3D Maddog at SimMarket: https://secure.simmarket.com/leonardo-software-fly-the-maddog-x-64-bit-p3d5.phtml

Was it $120 USD before? I’m not sure where the $120 USD figure is coming from.

Regardless, the DC6 was $55 USD and the BAe 146 is $65 USD in MSFS.  The MSFS Maddog at $80 USD seems expensive compared to the DC6 and BAe 146.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Just now, abrams_tank said:

I see it’s 95 Euro, or about $100 USD for the P3D Maddog at SimMarket: https://secure.simmarket.com/leonardo-software-fly-the-maddog-x-64-bit-p3d5.phtml

Was it $120 USD before? I’m not sure where the $120 USD figure is coming from.

Regardless, the DC6 was $55 USD and the BAe 146 is $65 USD.  The Maddog at $80 USD seems expensive compared to the DC6 and BAe 146.

Strange, for me it's 113 €, so about 120$, the very same link. Maybe they are charging us germans more, who knows? 😄

34 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

It's a bad timing for Leonardo and PMDG, to be honest. But the real "loser" will be the 146 I suppose...

Ya not sure if all these vendors are just happening to end up releasing their first high fidelity jets around the same time, or if they wanted to wait till SU9 as their initial release platform, or racing to be first out of the gate with their aircraft, etc etc.  One reason the DC6 and Aerosoft CRJ sold so well was due to there being a massive dearth of high fidelity birds and the MSFS community starving for some.  Now it's like a wave incoming of both high fidelity jets and GA crafts all around the same time :), and in a sense it is bad timing for those 3PDs looking to cash in on satisfying the "high fidelity hunger". That said, given the variety between these birds and the huge MSFS user base, there could be plenty of buyers to go around.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Yea 95 euro for me over here. When I originally bought the maddog for p3d v4 it was 65 euro.

Edited by Kevin_28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

Yes.  Just Flight was very smart and read the feedback after they announced the price of the BAe 146 at $80 USD. A lot of people just said they wouldn't buy the the BAe 146 at $80 USD. Mind you, it was a lot of people here at Avsim that said that, and the makeup of people here at Avsim are the "hard core" flight simmers, the very market that these study level airliners are targeting. So Just Flight reduced the price to $65 USD and all those people that said they wouldn't buy the BAe 146 at $80 USD, did a 180 degree u-turn and said at the new price, they would purchase the BAe 146 at $65 USD.

Just a $15 USD difference, and Just Flight probably doubled their unit sales of the BAe 146.

The Leonardo MD80 is the pinnacle simulation of an airframe they know inside and out. They've been doing this for awhile now, working exclusively on the MD80, dating back to at least 15 years (I still have my copy of Maddog 06)

The JF Bae 146 is "just" another project for Just Flight, which will probably receive solid support/updates initially but then they will move on to other projects as time goes on. That's fully understandable.

Some perspective: The last update on the Bae146 for P3D was on AUG12 2021. That was the 8th update for the Aircraft. The previous seven updates (or hot fixes) were during the first 30 days since RTM, some sort of hyper-care support for a new product - if you will.

The same can not be said about Leonardo MD80, the constant output of features and fixes is insane. and it never seem to stop either. It's truly a dynamic platform.

This observation alone is why my money is going to Leonardo (once again) 🙂

• Like 18

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

1 minute ago, Fiorentoni said:

Strange, for me it's 113 €, so about 120$, the very same link. Maybe they are charging us germans more, who knows? 😄

Is SimMarket adding VAT to the price you see because you reside in the EU?  Is the EU VAT 21%? If so, 1.21 x 95 = 115, which is pretty close to the 113 Euro you.

I live outside the EU and I don’t recall paying VAT at SimMarket before.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

12 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

The Leonardo MD80 is the pinnacle simulation of an airframe they know inside and out. They've been doing this for awhile now, working exclusively on the MD80, dating back to at least 15 years (I still have my copy of Maddog 06)

The JF Bae 146 is "just" another project for Just Flight, which will probably receive solid support/updates initially but then they will move on to other projects as time goes on. That's fully understandable.

Some perspective: The last update on the Bae146 for P3D was on AUG12 2021. That was the 8th update for the Aircraft. The previous seven updates (or hot fixes) were during the first 30 days since RTM, some sort of hyper-care support for a new product - if you will.

The same can not be said about Leonardo MD80, the constant output of features and fixes is insane. and it never seem to stop either. It's truly a dynamic platform.

This observation alone is why my money is going to Leonardo (once again) 🙂

You summed it up spot on!🍻

They are just in a product/consumer world and standard of their own!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

This is going to be an expensive year! A must have. 

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

The Market usually dictates the price of goods sold. 

I personally think the Maddog is well worth the price, even at $100 Canadian. It is one of the most detailed, and modeled aircraft for flight simming. Even at this price, its still quite a bit cheaper then the P3d version. I know, for me, it will give me years of enjoyment.  A developer that puts in years of work and development to bring us (the hard core simmer) a highly detailed aircraft, that takes modern filight simulation to the next level, deserves to be paid for their hard work. 

I know that MSFS has a much larger market. That should help spread the cost of development over a much larger group, but I wonder how much of that new market are just casual simmers. I would expect a lot are.  This plane is not for the casual simmer unless they are willing to learn the complexity's of setting up and flying, by the book a, if I dare say, a study level aircraft. 

I suspect that if Leonardo do not get the sales results they are expecting with this release at the current price, they would adjust the price accordingly to increase sales.  Business 101. 

• Like 3

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

35 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Is SimMarket adding VAT to the price you see because you reside in the EU?  Is the EU VAT 21%? If so, 1.21 x 95 = 115, which is pretty close to the 113 Euro you.

I live outside the EU and I don’t recall paying VAT at SimMarket before.

Yes, that's possible. There is not EU-wide VAT, it's country specific. In Germany it's 19%, but yes, that would explain it. So I'll have to wait how much they price the new Maddog at Simmarket with VAT included, should be around 89€ (1,19 x 75€), so 95 dollars.

I am starting to see what your all on about. I notice the the EFB even has a built in take off performance  calculator....

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

The LM MD80 has always been above PMDG on the fidelity ladder. A wall of text won't do it justice. 

It probably has 10x the amount of code found in the DC6. Thankfully it's not 10x the price.

• Like 5

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Pass on this .. I'm not interested in paying 80 plus dollars on an airframe that is not current and i don't see myself using  this aircraft as a "daily driver" So ill give this a miss until it shows up in a sale. If not it is what it is. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Just for anyone who is rather "new" to this airplane - Leonardo is the developer with the best image in the whole flight simulation genre. I have NEVER, not once, heard anyone talk negative about Leonardo. It's like 100% customer satisfaction, and that is with customers that are VERY demanding. I think that goes a long way of telling how good this product is.

• Like 5