Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Why are gliders so poorly modelled in flight simulation ?

9 hours ago, jcomm said:

Is that XP12 ?

XP11

The sad news is thermal doesn't connect to cumulus and wave not connected to lenticularis, making find them much harder

5 hours ago, C2615 said:

XP11

The sad news is thermal doesn't connect to cumulus and wave not connected to lenticularis, making find them much harder

Yep !

Maybe one day developers of this simulators can learn the basic principles of soaring wetaher.

But Austin did some improvements to the thermals for XP12. They're going to reach cloud bases and continue from there on, losing strenght proggressively, which is more realistic than having them stop right at the cloud bases...

OFC that doesn't account for blue day thermals.

So far only Condorsoaring v2 and Silentwings ( v1 ) model, even if not with big detail, gravitic waves.

No simulator that I know of has modeled frontal / coonvergence lift.

Flights in gust fronts, very dangerous but used in gliding competitions as a form of dynamic lift, can't so far be practised either in any of the sims I ever used.

There's a true World of Soaring to explore in flight simulation.

Maybe one of these days someone really tries to put it to work and creates a trully challenging addon for soaring weather simulation 🙂

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Prepar3-D-2022-07-01-19-06-41-96.jpg

CumulusX works great in P3Dv4, and sofar didn't seems have obvious problem with ASP3D and RealTurb.

It's clouds kinda stand out from ASCA one? In this picture it actually blend in quite better than what I actually feel when playing. Well that actually makes them easier to spot😅

Looks like I got some solid playground to export with, both XP and P3D, Reading FAA's glider handbook now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C2615 said:

CumulusX works great in P3Dv4, and sofar didn't seems have obvious problem with ASP3D and RealTurb.

It's clouds kinda stand out from ASCA one? In this picture it actually blend in quite better than what I actually feel when playing. Well that actually makes them easier to spot😅

Looks like I got some solid playground to export with, both XP and P3D, Reading FAA's glider handbook now

Used CumulusX for years... with fsx an then with p3d 32bit.t

It's not perfect but used some really clever algorithms to try to reproduce some features, both in ridge an thermal soaring.

By the time it became less supported I started using Condorsoaring more often.

The 2013 edition of the FAA glider flying handbook is very good !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

BITD I was using CumulusX and payware Discus.  Know nothing abut soaring, but it was a lot of fun in the sim.  Used to go to virtualsoaring.org site.  Wolfgang Piper's site fsglider.de is still up.

scott s.

Edited by scott967