Sign in to follow this  
MarcG

Are Asobo ignoring VR.....

.....or are they doing something behind the scenes?

SU9 is a joke; the Toolbar Windows have yet again regressed with a new bug that was never there before (resizing issue, obvious within the first 5seconds of gameplay...), no bug fixes for the most glaringly obvious bugs that have existed since VR was introduced and more so since the SU7 Toolbar/Mouse issues (mouse over windows still prevents some controls from not working), the only notable Fix is for VR Controllers....and that's it and yes before you ask I have sent off Zendesk Tickets in the past and reported Bugs on the Official Forums which others have voted for. So when Jorg & Martial sit there pandering to the Twitch crowd during a Q&A and tell us they have a "Team" of people working on VR....what exactly are that team working on!?

My guess is they either have;
A) A big update planned to fix the issues/bugs and regressions that they've brought upon themselves in recent Sim Updates, SU10 maybe (perhaps tomorrows Q&A will tell us more but I'm not holding my breath!)
B) Put the whole of VR on the back burner as only "10%" use VR (so they claim), so us "10%" have to suffer with the issues until they can be bothered to look at them.
C) They're (hopefully) in the process of passing the VR work over to a new capable team of VR enthusiasts much like they did with Working Title.

I fully understand that in gaming software priorities change, I totally get some things take time, I've been around the gaming scene both inside & out of development so have practically seen it all. They're certainly not fixing the most obvious bugs every update, they're certainly not testing/using their own product otherwise they would *clearly* see the issues, they're certainly not bothering with Bug Reports & Zendesk Tickets from the community - so I can only assume the 3 items above and one of them is correct.

It beggars belief at times, I've seen many many games developed from Alpha through to Full release over the decades I've been in the gaming scene, nothing comes close to the disjointed way that MS/Asobo have gone about MSFS, sure yeah it's incredible when it works and I thoroughly enjoy it (and will get enjoyment from SU9 I'm sure of it), but blow me down if they're incredibly poor in Quality Control areas...never seen anything like it, even CP2077 wasn't this bad!

/End Rant

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 4

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

On 4/26/2022 at 9:33 PM, MarcG said:

....or are they doing something behind the scenes?

The Q&A had some answers to that.

They have a dedicated Team working on VR and consider it a seperate platform at this point. So MSFS in their eyes is available on PC, X-Box and VR.

And they are working on improvements. Jörg himself stated multiple times that he almost exclusively flies in VR and therefore it is safe to assume that they all are aware of issues.

One thing I look forward to, apart from fixed issues, is the world scale. Martial acknowledged that the scale of some aircraft is too small (I believe he mentioned the TBM, as he flew that in real life and notice it to be too small in VR) and so they are looking to implement a slider for that, so that people can adjust that depending on their own IPD.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Farlis said:

The Q&A had some answers to that.

1 They have a dedicated Team working on VR and consider it a seperate platform at this point. So MSFS in their eyes is available on PC, X-Box and VR.

2 And they are working on improvements. Jörg himself stated multiple times that he almost exclusively flies in VR and therefore it is safe to assume that they all are aware of issues.

3 One thing I look forward to, apart from fixed issues, is the world scale. Martial acknowledged that the scale of some aircraft is too small (I believe he mentioned the TBM, as he flew that in real life and notice it to be too small in VR) and so they are looking to implement a slider for that, so that people can adjust that depending on their own IPD.

Unfortunately there's nothing new in what you've said (except Martials point but more on that below):

1 - They said the same thing last year and it was quite clear they had a VR Team work on VR Development in the first place.
2 - They've/Jorg said that before as well, to assume they know about the issues is one thing, for them to notice and act upon is another, which they are clearly not doing at this time.
3 - World Scale adjustments was one of the very first Wished for items back in December 2020 (and pre-VR SU2 release...) and is one of the most Basic VR Features that should've been dealt with much sooner, hence the frustration in something so basic still not being released after all this time.
The very fact we can now do this via the Toolkit made by community members in their own free time says everything about Asobos unbelievably poor effort on all things VR....when they have a dedicated Team working full time!

Thanks for your reply, but alas nothing majorly new from the Q&A that isn't already known.

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

On 4/29/2022 at 10:39 AM, MarcG said:

World Scale adjustments was one of the very first Wished for items back in December 2020 (and pre-VR SU2 release...) and is one of the most Basic VR Features that should've been dealt with much sooner,

You're correct, I've documented it all back in Dec. 2020 already, with technical analysis, graphics examples you can try in crossing the eyes:
Cockpit Size and World Scale in VR - Community Support / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Which translates as-is in only a few lines of code in the OXR-TK:
https://github.com/mbucchia/OpenXR-Toolkit-Private/blob/eef60195f845a6d72454d4b96c7ca7952e63a87d/XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit/layer.cpp#L1182

Basically it only consists in changing the 3D camera location closer to each other or further apart... 🙄

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Clearly it's still (B), another extremely lacklustre response in the latest Q&A.