Sign in to follow this  
Simmer2308

Bumpy Ride...Got Airsick

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I can remember flying into airports in South Florida and when flying over a dark field or a sandy area, getting an attention grabbing sharp bump in a C 172. I used to warn first time passengers about it. A hot day in the summer with thermals, it was a roller coaster ride. 

I noticed the same thing when developing airline schedules for some Central American air carriers...they usually left at 6:00 am or very early (stable morning airmass) and were done flying by 10 or 11 am.   They wanted NO PART of afternoon convection/thermals etc. for their pax services.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 minutes ago, Mace said:

I noticed the same thing when developing airline schedules for some Central American air carriers...they usually left at 6:00 am or very early (stable morning airmass) and were done flying by 10 or 11 am.   They wanted NO PART of afternoon convection/thermals etc. for their pax services.

One time my wife and I flew from Tampa to Ft Lauderdale, on a hot afternoon across the Everglades in a C 152. When we arrived,, we had black and blue marks from the seatbelts. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I fly in mountainous area of Southern California over 20 years. I've seen it all: thermals, mountain waves, wake turbulence and etc. Unless one flies only in smooth weather under clear sky he/she wont get exposed to all weather related turbulence aspects expect perhaps CAT or termals.

To me personally, turbulence in MSFS is just moderate version of RW as I know it. I have experienced 1000+ ft downdraft, inverted attitude and other unpleasant extreme things. I can tell you even pro pilot who predominately fly big iron often don't feel comfortable in light aircraft.  Light GA and LSA  are generally tossed like sh@t in turbulence. Dropping speed to Va and just riding a wave - is all we can do. As we say "try keep (airplane) attitude not altitude"

Feel sick of yeah this happens too! I usually got sick  cleaning airplane on the ground after my student got sick LOL Not pleasant memories ! LOL

Latest version of MSFS feels the most realistic to me - still doesn't move around as much as it should in bumpy weather.  Look at some of the videos out there of pilots really fighting the yoke, so it shouldn't be a surprise if a light aircraft moves around even more.  I have experienced perfectly calm flights without a single bump, but in my experience most flights are bumpy.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

MSFS really has come a long way. People are getting airsick like in a real aircraft and start complaining: Now this ist getting too real! Can there be a bigger compliment for a simulator?

Just kidding, there really should be a slider for personal preferences.

Btw, as has been mentioned several times in the recent two years, there would have been a very easy way for Asobo to see and understand what features and options people want for weather in a flightsim: Just take a look at Hifi's Active Sky - it's all there.

It should have been a matter of course from the start to provide all the features and options people were used to from Active Sky in previous sims for years. I never understood why Asobo acted like there never had been a weather engine before they started it all again from scratch.

But they are getting there, slowly.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

MSFS really has come a long way. People are getting airsick like in a real aircraft and start complaining: Now this ist getting too real! Can there be a bigger compliment for a simulator?

The point is I never got airsick in a real C172 (so far) but can get motion sick in the MSFS C172 using my Reverb headset - and only using this one, not, if I just fly on the 2D screen.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

45 minutes ago, pmb said:

The point is I never got airsick in a real C172 (so far) but can get motion sick in the MSFS C172 using my Reverb headset - and only using this one, not, if I just fly on the 2D screen.

Kind regards, Michael

I suspect it may be easier to get motion sickness symptoms from VR due to the mismatch between our visual queues and our inner ear. There is a chance that over time you get used to it though? I am still a dinosaur using TrackIR!

I remember the first time I felt real negative G's, it was an intensely uncomfortable feeling (I should have known when the instructor asked me if I had ever been on a rollercoaster before with a maniacal sparkle in his eye!) But further into my flying the less it affected me. Even the usual light aircraft bumps began to appear fade from my senses. Flying in the afternoon is always a little more sporting!

The worst I ever felt was in a 172 was flying into a cold front, went from fairly smooth into a very uncomfortable second half of a flight, just hit a wall of turbulent air. Ended up with a rather sporting 20 knot cross wind to land! Still fun though!

I do miss real flying! 

• Like 2

Anthony Milner

Flying with C172 is not a problem. Gliders are. You must fly to bumpy cloud bottoms. I am not sure if I can use VR with gliders.

It is interesting to note that in this thread (as in previous on the same topic) NO ONE mentioned where the "unreasonable" turbulences happened (flat terrain, mountains, hills, sea), what kind of weather (winds aloft, direction of the same, temperature aloft, type of clouds, inside or outside the clouds), speed of the aircraft and altitude... There are a number of reasons why you get turbulences in light (and even heavy) aircraft, but unfortunately many "simmers" have either no notion, or very little interest in weather factors other than the colour and shape of clouds.

A few weeks ago there were similar threads on AVSIM and MSFS fora complaining about this very issue, until we could get some of the complainers to give more details and verify... that they had been flying... over relief with strong winds, or (!!!) in Sigmets areas with severe turbulences. How many desk-chair pilots actually do take a weather briefing before taking off (it's not the weather sources that are missing!)?

Yesterday I flew from LSZS to LSGS with the Chancellor at 18'000 feet (MSA was 16'000) and did have very reasonable turbulences at all times given the high mountainous region, absolutely similar to what I experience during my real world flying in the same area (LSGS is my home airport). I still remember of my Instrument rating check-ride in Florida (ages ago) when I was flying in a stormy environment and was barely able to control my Cardinal with the infamous IFR google, even the instructor sympathised!

MSFS team please ignore these pleas!

Edited by Bernard Ducret
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

5 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Btw, as has been mentioned several times in the recent two years, there would have been a very easy way for Asobo to see and understand what features and options people want for weather in a flightsim: Just take a look at Hifi's Active Sky - it's all there.

It should have been a matter of course from the start to provide all the features and options people were used to from Active Sky in previous sims for years. I never understood why Asobo acted like there never had been a weather engine before they started it all again from scratch.

But they are getting there, slowly.

And they could mark the slider on the minimum side, with "On Rails" and on the max side " Realistic Flying. "

• Like 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

It is interesting to note that in this thread (as in previous on the same topic) NO ONE mentioned where the "unreasonable" turbulences happened (flat terrain, mountains, hills, sea), what kind of weather (winds aloft, direction of the same, temperature aloft, type of clouds, inside or outside the clouds), speed of the aircraft and altitude... There are a number of reasons why you get turbulences in light (and even heavy) aircraft, but unfortunately many "simmers" have either no notion, or very little interest in weather factors other than the colour and shape of clouds.

A few weeks ago there were similar threads on AVSIM and MSFS fora complaining about this very issue, until we could get some of the complainers to give more details and verify... that they had been flying... over relief with strong winds, or (!!!) in Sigmets areas with severe turbulences. How many desk-chair pilots actually do take a weather briefing before taking off (it's not the weather sources that are missing!)?

Yesterday I flew from LSZS to LSGS with the Chancellor at 18'000 feet (MSA was 16'000) and did have very reasonable turbulences at all times given the high mountainous region, absolutely similar to what I experience during my real world flying in the same area (LSGS is my home airport). I still remember of my Instrument rating check-ride in Florida (ages ago) when I was flying in a stormy environment and was barely able to control my Cardinal with the infamous IFR google, even the instructor sympathised!

MSFS team please ignore these pleas!

Flat terrain no mountains.. south coast of Engald... and was bumpy as hell (no wind layer, clear weather 2pm. Also tried live weather, no difference) the condition remained all the time even when I was at FL15,000 could not climb any higher since I was at the maximum altitude of the aircraft.. changing the "time" to dusk or dawn was the only way to remove the constant jerking turbulence... time of the year is April it is very cool here in the UK, yesterday the maximum temp was 4 degrees Celsius .. so it is unclear to me why so much conviction turbulence is being simulated.. it is not even "summer" yet.

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, simbol said:

Flat terrain no mountains.. south coast of Engald... and was bumpy as hell (no wind layer, clear weather 2pm. Also tried live weather, no difference) the condition remained all the time even when I was at FL15,000 could not climb any higher since I was at the maximum altitude of the aircraft.. changing the "time" to dusk or dawn was the only way to remove the constant jerking turbulence... time of the year is April it is very cool here in the UK, yesterday the maximum temp was 4 degrees Celsius .. so it is unclear to me why so much conviction turbulence is being simulated.. it is not even "summer" yet.

S.

It's the same for me over dead flat Norfolk. It's not the movement that I don't like it's the slide show jerking as if the plane has no weight whatsoever. I am guessing that every developer will have to revise their planes flight model for this to be fixed for SU9. But how many will bother?

Edited by jarmstro

People in here complaining because it finally is pretty realistic and close to real life. This is from years of fling on rails in other Sims. I hope Asobo ignores everyone complaining. 

Eric 

Had a little time this morning to experiment with custom weather setting. I used the "Scattered Clouds" default. I clicked the single wind layer in the settings window and set wind speed to 0. That disabled the Gusts settings. Took a flight at 8000' and had not a hint of wind at all...so at least when you set weather to something other than live, it looks like you have full control as I would expect. I'll enable some wind and play around with the gusts settings too.

Edit: So something interesting. While in flight, I set the winds to 35 kts and enabled 40 kt gusts and started to get bounced around quite a bit...as it should have. However, when I set the wind back to zero the gusts remained.  I had to delete the wind layer altogether to return everything to calm. 

Edited by snglecoil

Chris

42 minutes ago, simbol said:

S.

What aircraft are you flying?

Interesting, for some reason it appears to me that actually people just refuse to read the initial post and like to argue.

"I deleted the wind layer when I set up the flight to NO avail. It was like I had real weather engaged".

Could not be more clear than that. That's where the problem is.

Now, there is an excellent statement from @sd_flyer  "  I can tell you even pro pilot who predominately fly big iron often don't feel comfortable in light aircraft.  Light GA and LSA  are generally tossed like sh@t in turbulence"  ,

Let's entertain the problem @Simmer2308 is describing.

Also let's keep in mind that regardless of the size of the airplane there are days where flights are smooth as silk, and yes many times they fly like "on Rails".

There is another excellent post of @Bernard Ducret which is right on the money. And talking about his valid points, but on a STD day, no winds, no clouds, flat terrain etc I noticed a constant change of wind direction and velocity every few seconds or so where the airplane will exhibit as we call intermittent light chop for no reason.

I fully appreciate what Asobo is developing but sometimes is exaggerated, that's why I fully support the idea of having a slider where this turbulence/reaction can be adjusted.

Another example of exaggerated reaction is aircraft behaviour during t.o. and landing in x-winds conditions. 
  • Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090