Sign in to follow this  
David_CSA

SU9 - Distance between external camera and plane - How?

15 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

We are trying to figure out exactly what the command line needs to be, let's stay on topic until we get our solution please.

Thank you very much for keeping the discussion clean and goal oriented. I appreciate it.

I have read many useful tips on the forum over the years. It is my first time trying to really find out a solution to an issue using my open question here and it proves to be surprisingly difficult.

Edited by David_CSA
  • Like 1

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

There's obviously a parallel discussion about this topic at forums.flightsimulator.com:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/can-i-get-rid-of-the-wide-view-fisheye-external-view/250983/186

The gentlemen over there are struggling with the same issue. And also they do not know how exactly to modify the cameras.cfg.

The discussion contains a good example of the "distorted" view we are trying to fix:

b99bebcaa150a44c6d36e2cff803325d0c729a70

Edited by David_CSA
  • Like 1

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

I just want fsx-like external locked spot camera, where;

-There was no shaking or motion of the camera/airplane.

-It was a distance-based zoom, with no wide-view distortion.

-The airplane was at the center of the screen.

Is that too much to ask?

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 11:06 PM, David_CSA said:

That's the question here...

My favourite candidates are (using C172 with steam gauges as an example):

"c:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Cameras.CFG"

"c:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_C172sp_classic\cameras.CFG"

"c:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base\cameras.cfg"

"c:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\asobo-aircraft-c172sp-classic\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_C172sp_classic\cameras.cfg"

I am assuming the distance shall be in a file dedicated to one plane and not to in a general file. The reason is you wish to set a different initial distance for C172 and for a 747...

Not sure if anyone has noticed but all of these examples quote "cameras.cfg" (plural)

The release notes at Release Notes (1.25.7.0) Sim Update IX Now Available! - Microsoft Flight Simulator quote "camera.cfg" (singluar)

as in the section Planes - General: "Added an optional settings to camera.cfg files allowing to change the distance between the external camera and the plane"

I have been unable to find any camera.cfg file anywhere on my pc. so this may therefore be a simple typo, but I will leave it to others to investigate!!

Regards Mike

Must be the camera.cfg inside the airplane folder.. 

I am struggling with this too, I want to setup correct cameras for my upcoming product to no availability.. the only option was to configure additional fixed external cameras, that are under the show case category, but the problem is the user cannot rotate around etc.. frustrated here.

S.

3 minutes ago, simbol said:

Must be the camera.cfg inside the airplane folder.. 

I am struggling with this too, I want to setup correct cameras for my upcoming product to no availability.. the only option was to configure additional fixed external cameras, that are under the show case category, but the problem is the user cannot rotate around etc.. frustrated here.

S.

Those too are named in the plural "cameras.cfg"

Regards, Mike

Edited by RodosMike
spelling

1 minute ago, RodosMike said:

Those too are named in the plural "cameras.cfg"

Regards, Mike

most likely a typo.. I am going to ask Asobo about this feature.

S.

6 minutes ago, simbol said:

most likely a typo.. I am going to ask Asobo about this feature.

S.

Great idea - I just wish they would give some simple instruction when they release a new feature/option!

M.

11 minutes ago, RodosMike said:

Great idea - I just wish they would give some simple instruction when they release a new feature/option!

M.

I think this is an option for developers thought.. not end users..

FYI: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/7672/cameras-configuration.html

S.

Oh, great! Thank you very much!!

This topic nicely illustrates the power of synergy of the fightsim community. Some people raised the issue, some people investigated, some prepared the images and now finally someone (Simbol) was able to ask the question directly to developers! Amazing.

We just have to hope now that they will answer and that the external camera distance modification as mentioned in the SU9 release notes will be accessible also to end users and not only to developers.

• Like 1

Anybody aware of any news on this topic, please?

10 hours ago, David_CSA said:

Anybody aware of any news on this topic, please?

Nope, but with the release of airliners like PMDGs 737 and Leonardos Maddog I really hope that after nearly 2 years they will finally implement this simple feature. Those planes just dont look good with massive zoom applied. All this just confirms how much they were struggling to make xbox users a significant audience for MSFS.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:40 AM, simbol said:

I think this is an option for developers thought.. not end users..

FYI: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/7672/cameras-configuration.html

S.

A New week, a new check....

Have you please heard anything from the developers concerning setting the external camera distance

Is there any way how to bring our already posted question to their attention?

Thank you very much in advance.