Sign in to follow this  
David_CSA

SU9 - Distance between external camera and plane - How?

On 4/27/2022 at 1:53 PM, David_CSA said:

Good morning,

The following is mentioned in the release notes:

* Added an optional settings to camera.cfg files allowing to change the distance between the external camera and the plane

Does anyone know how to use this, please? What is the syntax? And in which portion of cameras.cfg to place it?

This is a highly anticipated option which allows to change the distance and resume normal zoom levels when viewing the plane and world from a larger distance avoiding the distorted view with high zoom out factor.

E.g. like this:

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Free-Addons.j

Or this...

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-2020-Liveries

Thank you,

David

Good day,

Is anyone aware of any news on answering this question please?

I am checking various channels online regularly but haven't come with any single instruction so far on how to use this new feature.

Thank you.

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

On 6/3/2022 at 10:32 PM, David_CSA said:

Good day,

Is anyone aware of any news on answering this question please?

I am checking various channels online regularly but haven't come with any single instruction so far on how to use this new feature.

Thank you.

Any news, please?

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

Like others have noted, this is a much anticipated fix. Hate the fisheye effect in external view. It’s enough to make me sentimental about Prepar3d!

• Like 1

Asking because I really don't know.

I use the drone camera. I have my X & Y axis on my stick set up so that I can use it to move the camera forward, backward, left right, and rotate it using the Z twist axis. I have tilt up and down set to the hat switch, and the trigger and top button set to up and down. I have 2 other buttons set up to increase or decrease translation speed. I hit the Insert key, and I am instantly in external view and have full movement of the camera. I can move as far away from the plane as I want, and there is no distortion. 

Why doesn't this work for you guys?  

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

5 hours ago, MDFlier said:

I think the main issue with the drone camera is that you can't manipulate the drone (camera) and control the airplane at the same time... it's either one or the other.  In external view, you can naturally do both.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Because that is not what we guys would like to see.
What we would like to see is the ability to move the spot view eyepoint away 
from the aircraft without the additional zoom that presently distorts the view of the scenery.

The announcement that this is now possible was not accompanied by a clue as to how to
do it and that is the answer that is, so far, missing from this topic.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MadDog said:

I think the main issue with the drone camera is that you can't manipulate the drone (camera) and control the airplane at the same time... it's either one or the other.  In external view, you can naturally do both.

Control the airplane from the outside? That's just crazy talk. 🤓

Thx for the reply. I really hadn't thought about actually flying from the outside of the airplane. I never do that. Not just in sims, in any game. Always in 1st person view except when just looking around. 

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

15 hours ago, MDFlier said:

I really hadn't thought about actually flying from the outside of the airplane. I never do that.

I wonder if you have the answer to the question posed by the OP?

5 hours ago, Reader said:

I wonder if you have the answer to the question posed by the OP?

Not at all. I don't do that.

I use tracker IR, when I switch to external view I position my self (actually my head) in best angle I can (above, away, beside) or what ever, then I pause tracker IR using it's own pause switch (not off switch in camera panel), and start using hat SW to rotate around aircraft with a fairly good view (minimal distortion) or at least that is what I think.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

On 4/27/2022 at 1:53 PM, David_CSA said:

Good morning,

The following is mentioned in the release notes:

* Added an optional settings to camera.cfg files allowing to change the distance between the external camera and the plane

Does anyone know how to use this, please? What is the syntax? And in which portion of cameras.cfg to place it?

This is a highly anticipated option which allows to change the distance and resume normal zoom levels when viewing the plane and world from a larger distance avoiding the distorted view with high zoom out factor.

E.g. like this:

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Free-Addons.j

Or this...

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-2020-Liveries

Thank you,

David

Good day,

Any news concerning the original question please?

It is interesting to see that the developers added this feature to SU9 likely based on wishes from the community. But once added (without any instructions unfortunately) almost nobody from the community inquires on how to use it.... Surprising.... Ok, let's be patient and hope the solution will pop up one day!

On 6/10/2022 at 8:10 PM, penta_a said:

I use tracker IR, when I switch to external view I position my self (actually my head) in best angle I can (above, away, beside) or what ever, then I pause tracker IR using it's own pause switch (not off switch in camera panel), and start using hat SW to rotate around aircraft with a fairly good view (minimal distortion) or at least that is what I think.

Thats not ai bad workaround and what i do however it offsets all your views so if you hop back inside whatever offset was applied to the outside is applied inside.

Still its better than the default view particularly on wide monitors pushing the aircraft to the bottom of the screen.

On 6/9/2022 at 8:23 AM, MDFlier said:

Asking because I really don't know.

I use the drone camera. I have my X & Y axis on my stick set up so that I can use it to move the camera forward, backward, left right, and rotate it using the Z twist axis. I have tilt up and down set to the hat switch, and the trigger and top button set to up and down. I have 2 other buttons set up to increase or decrease translation speed. I hit the Insert key, and I am instantly in external view and have full movement of the camera. I can move as far away from the plane as I want, and there is no distortion. 

Because i already have a Warthog on my desktop the last thing i need is another seperate controller particularly when i have a mouse which is proven in multiple simulators, xplane, dcs, p3d and every other sim to be a fabulous camera controller.

Asobo have like many things been verging on arrogant not listening to the community since early early beta on this topic.

Im not making movings all we want is the aircraft in the screen center, the ability to zoom in and out, pan and move the viewpoint forward and back.

Every other sim can do it at what point do Asobo listen?

Still we have volcanic CB’s and inverted cloud colours three years later so maybe we are all wrong like HAL told Dave, “You dont need that functionality Dave go buy an xbox controller”, “You dont need correctly coloured clouds Dave the real world isnt spectacular enough for our target audience”.

Still surely simple controls native to any other sim is easily possible. 

Darren Howie

12 hours ago, DEHowie said:

Thats not ai bad workaround and what i do however it offsets all your views so if you hop back inside whatever offset was applied to the outside is applied inside.

Still its better than the default view particularly on wide monitors pushing the aircraft to the bottom of the screen.

Because i already have a Warthog on my desktop the last thing i need is another seperate controller particularly when i have a mouse which is proven in multiple simulators, xplane, dcs, p3d and every other sim to be a fabulous camera controller.

Asobo have like many things been verging on arrogant not listening to the community since early early beta on this topic.

Im not making movings all we want is the aircraft in the screen center, the ability to zoom in and out, pan and move the viewpoint forward and back.

Every other sim can do it at what point do Asobo listen?

I've never experienced the offset view thing. 

I only have 1 stick. When I press insert to get into external View, the controller assignments switch to controlling the drone camera. They have no effect on the airplane at all. When I press insert to get back into the cockpit, everything is as it was when I left it.

And I honestly think I Asobo is just ignoring the issues that have the most vitriol associated with them. I probably would, too. The community would probably get a much better response if they turned down the arrogance and offensive stuff.

Ok, I tried to change the external cam distance for the H145. The helo has a camera.cfg in its main directory and one in each variant.
So at first tried to find which one is responsible (changing default cockpit values). Turns out, it's the variant one. But changing values in the chasecam section show no difference in the external cam.

Next I tried to go for the Bell 407. Turns out, the 407 camera.cfg does not include a chasecam section.

Next I tried to change the camera.cfg which is in the fsbase. There is a section for spot camera, but it doesn't even have xyz values. Tried to change the zoom value, but again, no change in the external cam

So, either the external cam values are hardcoded in some other file, or I don't know...

I don't get that addon aircrafts have a chasecam section in their camera.cfg but the values seem to be ignored. Or isn't the chasecam the external cam?
Was anyone able to actually change the xyz values for the external cam for any plane yet?