Sign in to follow this  
phmcr

REX WeatherForce incompatibel with SU9?

33 minutes ago, AnkH said:

No but REX is consitently better? How does that work? Makes no sense...

What doesn't make sense?  You asked a question and I confirmed REX doesn't do what you want.  Therefore, my statements that REX often portrays the sky better is outside the scope of a local/global weather model.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Well, then I ask here again because still no one did answer me this: is REX capable of displaying a cold front correctly when using live weather? Means: half of the sky nearly overcast, a visble front line and the rest of the sky almost free of clouds? If REX is capable of doing this, I will head over and buy it...

Which other weather engines, default or add-on,  in which simulators over time,  have done this to your satisfaction? And did you grab screen captures that you can share today? 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

FIX LIST:

FIXED - Compatible with the Microsoft Flight Simulator Build 1.25.7.0

FIXED - Immediate snow fading
FIXED - Snow reduction process and moved to independent process
FIXED - Inaccurate temperatures and winds aloft
FIXED - Precipitation not rendering within the flight simulator
FIXED - Rapid pressure changes
IMPROVED - Favorite airport data updates
IMPROVED - Cloud frame rate hit by adding performance improvement option
UPGRADED - Data transfer code from Webservices to WebAPI

• Like 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Just installed the updated version. Seems to work fine. I'm kind of hard pressed to say that live weather is better or worse than WF, but the differences are less than they used to be. 

With regard to the question above concerning the depiction of cold fronts, I kind of doubt that any METAR based system can do that with any kind of accuracy. During the early days when Live Weather was driven by the Meteoblue model, maybe that was possible, but once MSFS was driven by METARS I haven't seen it. I know people say that ActiveSky was capable of doing this reliably, but have to confess that I never saw that either. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but just that the instances that they are accurately depicted probably aren't that common.

Live Weather has improved so much over the last six months or so that I use it almost all the time.

Edited by jrw4
typo
  • Like 4

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I prefer Live Weather when it's working well/properly, but when it's not, I believe Rex WF is a good backup FWIW.  I can attest also that they've greatly improved the transition smoothing as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, timest said:

The update is now live: https://rexaxis.com/News/1065

Tim,

Just purchased Weather Force (OrbxDirect)  just to try it out and it crashes my sim every time during the injection phase, sim works fine with real-weather. 

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Just now, CarlosF said:

Tim,

Just purchased Weather Force (OrbxDirect)  just to try it out and it crashes my sim every time during the injection phase, sim works fine with real-weather. 

Check if there is an update because that CTD during injection was the non SU9 version.  Maybe you purchased it just before the new version reached Orbx?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

19 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Check if there is an update because that CTD during injection was the non SU9 version

Thanks, I just realized Orbx still has the previous version. I guess I have to wait for Orbx to update their content to the latest version. Purchase was done 30min ago.

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

5 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

Thanks, I just realized Orbx still has the previous version. I guess I have to wait for Orbx to update their content to the latest version. Purchase was done 30min ago.

They must not be updated to the latest version yet. 

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

I just tried the  REX F update and my altimeter reads 2600 when I'm at 5020 feet. Not sure what's

happening here. Check again tomorrow...

UPDATE: OK, I see what's happening. While sitting at the runway at startup I get the wrong 

runway elevation on the altimeter. But once i start moving down the runway the altitude

quickly recovers to the correct setting. Never had that happen before !

Edited by Eclex
update

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

8 hours ago, fppilot said:

Which other weather engines, default or add-on,  in which simulators over time,  have done this to your satisfaction? And did you grab screen captures that you can share today? 

The default one? No screenshots to share, but I will take one the next time I see such a cold front (or warm front). AS for P3D also managed to have clear cut cloud lines splitting the sky de facto in half and allowing to fly from a fully overcast to almost entirely clear skies without any transition.

Other than that I hate such kindergarten approaches to a discussion like the one done here: "if other tools cant do it, my tool is perfectly fine if it can not do it neither". Even if none of the tools available so far could depict it correctly, it would still be a shortcoming of REX that prevents me from buying it...

8 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

What doesn't make sense?  You asked a question and I confirmed REX doesn't do what you want.  Therefore, my statements that REX often portrays the sky better is outside the scope of a local/global weather model.

"Often" and "consistently" are essentially not the same. Your statement was that REX is "consistently" showing better weather depiction, which does not make sense if the tool is unable to portrait one of the predominant weather situations at least here in central Europe. If you are happy with an uniform sky from horizon to horizon, fine for you, I then rather prefer the shortcomings of the default weather engine but at least without uniform skies from horizon to horizon.

End of the story.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

9 hours ago, timest said:

The update is now live: https://rexaxis.com/News/1065

Thanks!

There must be something random in the MSFS weather system. In SU9 it worked once (until 300nm out of the airport of origin as per first post in this thread). But now, each time I fire up MSFS, no matter where in the world, I get clear skies. Weather injection in my case seems to be a random thing. But what causes that?

Well, anyway, as soon as ORBX has updated the WF version, I am off again!

• Like 1

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5