Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

So Now I can't Launch 2020

I haven't been on my sim for a number of weeks. To be honest, I'm starting to lose patience. Since SU8 I started to have stutters that I hadn't experienced before, so I thought I'd pass on things for a while. However, yesterday I thought I'd fire up the sim and update to SU9. I started up the computer and found I couldn't launch MSFS. 😠 I mean what the hell is this about? It worked fine about eight weeks ago, and now nothing has changed, and I can't even launch the sim. The crazy thing is, I can't even launch the sim after having run my backup from January. I made both a Windows backup and a MSFS backup as they are both on separate drives. I've spent the best part of yesterday and this morning with no luck. I've signed out and back into both Xbox gamebar and MS store, but I simply can't get MSFS to launch. Any ideas fellas?

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

8 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I haven't been on my sim for a number of weeks. To be honest, I'm starting to lose patience. Since SU8 I started to have stutters that I hadn't experienced before, so I thought I'd pass on things for a while. However, yesterday I thought I'd fire up the sim and update to SU9. I started up the computer and found I couldn't launch MSFS. 😠 I mean what the hell is this about? It worked fine about eight weeks ago, and now nothing has changed, and I can't even launch the sim. The crazy thing is, I can't even launch the sim after having run my backup from January. I made both a Windows backup and a MSFS backup as they are both on separate drives. I'v espent all morning with no luck. I've signed out and back into both Xbox gamebar and MS store, but I simply can't get MSFS to launch. Any ideas fellas?

Does it show up in windows task manager?

have you tried disabling anti-virus temporarily?

Something to see in the windows logs (eventvwr.exe) ?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

A potential work around until you find an official fix could be to use the Addon Linker from flightsim.to - launch the sim from that instead and see if it works.

1 minute ago, shamrockflyer said:

A potential work around until you find an official fix could be to use the Addon Linker from flightsim.to - launch the sim from that instead and see if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried that. It won't fire up from the default program icon on the Windows start menu, I can't start it from Addon linker or via FSUIPC. It's a big bummer this, as it worked fine the last time I flew, which was about 6 weeks ago, I mean, what could have changed?!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Have you tried navigating to the flightsimulator.exe location and clicking directly from there?

Mario Di Lauro

29 minutes ago, tamsini said:

Have you tried navigating to the flightsimulator.exe location and clicking directly from there?

Yup, done that, but the exe. file is showing 0kb ????? When clicked on the little timer icon just spins round and round  ??

Howard

20 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Yup, done that, but the exe. file is showing 0kb ????? When clicked on the little timer icon just spins round and round  ??

Probably won't make a difference but the one I have in content folder is 184,370 KB. I have two others, like you, at 0kb. Not sure why we have to have so many.

Mario Di Lauro

54 minutes ago, tamsini said:

Probably won't make a difference but the one I have in content folder is 184,370 KB. I have two others, like you, at 0kb. Not sure why we have to have so many.

Hmm, so have I tried to start from the wrong exe.?

Howard

5 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, so have I tried to start from the wrong exe.?

maybe try to launch from msstore (if you have the msstore version), that way you should at least catch the right exe. just a thought

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

If you cant find any solution and think that a reinstall is in order do this first...go into LocalCache - Official and copy the OneStore folder to your desktop. Uninstall MSFS then reinstall, let it run up to around 2% and then close the install process. Then add the OneStore folder back into the Official folder and restart the install process. That method should save you from hours of downloading the bulk of the data that is in that OneStore folder.

Install the Xbox app and the Microsoft gaming services.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

27 minutes ago, DAD said:

maybe try to launch from msstore (if you have the msstore version), that way you should at least catch the right exe. just a thought

Thanks Phil, tried that, no success.

20 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

If you cant find any solution and think that a reinstall is in order do this first...go into LocalCache - Official and copy the OneStore folder to your desktop. Uninstall MSFS then reinstall, let it run up to around 2% and then close the install process. Then add the OneStore folder back into the Official folder and restart the install process. That method should save you from hours of downloading the bulk of the data that is in that OneStore folder.

If I reinstall I will lose many of my thrrd party addons, except for the ones that are solely located in the community folder, yes?

Howard

I experienced this once. I fixed it by delete and complete reinstalling. I know it's long and sucks but it fixed problem

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I dump MSFS( full version on Steam) for this very same reason. After 2 months without using it, I couldn't launch it. I tried all suggestions I could find for zero result. I reinstall MSFS totally after cleaning all remaining folders a week ago and this time I was pretty optimistic...you know what, I got the very same result, the game crashed to desktop when updating(always) and again tried all suggestions available for the same zero result. Finally I decided to uninstall it! Finally my Xplane 11 is not so bad!

• Like 3

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

Have you tried deleting the content.xml yet? That is a good first step to try and solve a lot of issues like this. Once deleted, MSFS will generate a new one. Sometimes the order of things in the content.xml file gets messed up and that causes CTD's, freezes during startup, unable to load flights etc. It is located here: 

AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Content.xml

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11