Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

So Now I can't Launch 2020

16 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

Have you tried deleting the content.xml yet? That is a good first step to try and solve a lot of issues like this. Once deleted, MSFS will generate a new one. Sometimes the order of things in the content.xml file gets messed up and that causes CTD's, freezes during startup, unable to load flights etc. It is located here: 

AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Content.xml

No I haven't tried this. I'll follow your advice. I really think if I have to reinstall everything along with all the third party apps, profiles, drivers etc, I'll dump simming and sell all my kit. I'm really quite tired of all this. :sad:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

42 minutes ago, Pat Mussotte said:

I dump MSFS( full version on Steam) for this very same reason. After 2 months without using it, I couldn't launch it. I tried all suggestions I could find for zero result. I reinstall MSFS totally after cleaning all remaining folders a week ago and this time I was pretty optimistic...you know what, I got the very same result, the game crashed to desktop when updating(always) and again tried all suggestions available for the same zero result. Finally I decided to uninstall it! Finally my Xplane 11 is not so bad!

If you have the Steam version it actually works out better for you, simply go into Steam right click on MSFS and go to PROPERTIES and hit VERFIY INTERGRITY OF GAME FILES.

Steam will scan and repair the problem.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

23 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

Have you tried deleting the content.xml yet? That is a good first step to try and solve a lot of issues like this. Once deleted, MSFS will generate a new one. Sometimes the order of things in the content.xml file gets messed up and that causes CTD's, freezes during startup, unable to load flights etc. It is located here: 

AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Content.xml

Just tried this, no change.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Just now, blueshark747 said:

If you have the Steam version it actually works out better for you, simply go into Steam right click on MSFS and go to PROPERTIES and hit VERFIY INTERGRITY OF GAME FILES.

Sadly I have the MS version

Howard

1 minute ago, Rockliffe said:

Just tried this, no change.

Sorry, bummer...I'll see if I can think of anything else.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

8 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I feel your pain...just how many modifications do you have outside of the community folder?

Tweaked vanilla scenery and planes?

A reinstallation may be the only way.

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

4 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

I feel your pain...just how many modifications do you have outside of the community folder?

Tweaked vanilla scenery and planes?

A reinstallation may be the only way.

No, dozens of third party airports, about half a dozen planes, REX weather, profiles for TRir, StreamDeck, drivers for radios and GNS displays, quite a lot that I assume certain files would reside outside of the community folder and reside somewhere inside the main MS directory. 

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard

I know this sounds crazy, but have you filed a Zendesk ticket describing in detail the problem and steps you've taken?  You might get some troubleshooting steps that you've not tried yet and not have to do a full re-install.

• Like 2

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

8 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

No, dozens of third party airports, about half a dozen planes, REX weather, profiles for TRir, StreamDeck, drivers for radios and GNS displays, quite a lot that I assume certain files would reside outside of the community folder and reside somewhere inside the main MS directory. 

So sorry to hear this, Rockliffe.  I use MSFS Addon Linker to keep my sceneries, aircraft, utilities separate.  SU9 appeared to cause mine to CTD just two days ago, but the Addon Linker at least allowed me to keep all my third party airports and planes separate as I went through a reinstall.  I have the steam version, and you might consider downloading steam and investing in that version of MSFS 2020.  It appears that people have fewer problems with that version.

I wish you all the best.

At 270GB of addons I honestly don't see anything that does any further installation outside of that specific community content folder and for certain addons ORBX and Contrail they specifically prompt and give you a choice of direct installation or community folder.

I always choose community folder. I can def understand the TrackiR and other profiles, I certainly wouldn't expect them to run the same after dragging and dropping them into a fresh new installation.

Hardware/controller assignment configs are a finnicky headache as is in MSFS for now,

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

25 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I wonder if any of the add-ons you have are interfering with MSFS launching, even though they are not in the Community folder. Vanilla MSFS without any add-ons on your computer (including such add-ons that you mention above) should launch without any problems.  The issue is, after each Sim Update, the maker of your add-on is supposed to update their version if there are any conflicts, and you need to update the add-on as well.  

For example, somebody else couldn't start MSFS after SU9 but he/she was using the Google add on and that was likely the culprit that stopped them from starting MSFS: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/618099-su9-sim-cannot-start-flight/. Of course, if you can reinstall Windows, and then reinstall MSFS, MSFS will probably work again.  But you would lose your current installation, and all the work you have done on your current system, if you reinstall Windows (plus, if you ever reinstall, always backup your data and files before you install).

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

If I reinstall I will lose many of my thrrd party addons, except for the ones that are solely located in the community folder, yes?

Yes you will have to reinstall all third party addons, unless you also copy the community folder to your desktop or where ever you wish outside of the MSFS directory.

I did a reinstall the other day and was very surprised and relieved to see that all of my settings were intact, from graphics settings to control settings. I reinstalled a few days before SU9 due to an isloated issue which was resolved after many hours of frustration.

Edited by shamrockflyer

50 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

I did it just after the first aborted start,but it didn't solve the problem.

• Like 1

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

No I haven't tried this. I'll follow your advice. I really think if I have to reinstall everything along with all the third party apps, profiles, drivers etc, I'll dump simming and sell all my kit. I'm really quite tired of all this. :sad:

Do yourself a favor and do a complete uninstall of MSFS and resinstall fresh, period, end of troubles.  I've done an initiall install, and two reinstalls w/ the most recent one maybe 8 month ago now and it's a total piece of cake--it takes many hours but who cares go have beer or two or whatever floats your boat.  Maintaining a sim has never been so simple!  Make a copy of your Community Folder first and populates its contents w/ the new one MSFS installs.  With your hardware you should be experiencing wonderful performance in this amazing sim.  Profiles, drivers, what?  Are you reinstalling Windows?   I just did the standard uninstall you do thru windows, and reinstall thru the MS Store which has been flawless for me for all installs--but I understand how to do that piece and some apparently are confused by it.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Before going through a reinstall hassle, another idea may be to use the repair/reset option in win —> settings —> apps when selecting MSFS and one of the offered options there

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"