Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Spartan Executive in FSX

Hi,I've been trying to load the Spartan Executive by Milton Shupe in FSX. The plane flies fine (as far as i can tell), but there are two '98 gauges in it mr-bright.gau (multiradio) and fpda_gear_wind.gau. What do these gauges do, and are there FSX versions of them?Thanks,Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

An exceptional bird which is well worth adapting to FSX. I'd be happy just to comment out the calls to these files in the panel.cfg, but since this would mean commenting out one line at a time, and then loading FSX for the test, so far I just haven't got around to it.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest JSPuonti

I'm not sure what you mean... I just commented out all instances of the two gauges in both panel.cfg files (VC and no-VC) and loaded FSX up without an issue? I'm not 100% sure what the gauges in question do, but I don't see why you would need to comment them out one line at a time?

Guest Stoopy

I don't know about mr-bright.gau but I can tell you you won't miss the gear_wnd gauge, whihc I believe is just a gear indicator (pay attention). It's also used on his multiple Aero Commanders which I pulled into FSX some time ago and they fly great, you won't notice that one gauge is gone at all.

Sorry Janne, I was thinking of another bird in which the gauges in question were part of a larger gauge file. It wasn't clear in that particular case which line needed to be commented out. I just had another look at the Spartan panel.cfg, and sure enough the two gauges are listed where they could be easily commented out.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest JSPuonti

Makes sense :) I imagine a gauge cocktail like that would make it harder to sort out... Fortunately the Spartan is a simple edit.As for the gauges, the fdpa_gear_wind.gau is a gauge that gives you an extra wind sound when the gear are extended (the sound of air rushing by the gears). mr-bright.gau is, as was noted, a multiradio gauge which combines (I think) Nav1, Nav2 and ADF into a single gauge. It's located on the left edge of the panel, above the Radio, Cabin and GPS / NAV switches.

Guest JSPuonti

I haven't actually tested this, but to me it looks like the multiradio was some kind of "modern alternative" to the Spartan's real radio system. In the VC you can find this below the engine controls. It SEEMS to have all of the radios you'd get with the multiradio gauge. You can also pop it up with SHIFT+5.

Hmm. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I have not investigated this deeply at all but I know that FSX is rejecting mr-bright.gau. I assume that Milton included this gauge because it was needed. Are you saying that mr-bright.gau is not needed because the radios are already there in another gauge? Why is mr-bright.gau there, then? Is it perhaps a lighting solution for the radios gauge?This would be great because I only fly in the VC, anyway. I just would like to know that I have all the functionality that is necessary to fly the plane.Thanks!Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest JSPuonti

I suspect that the multiradio gauge was there as a "modern addition" with a more familiar user interface than what the Spartan's real radio has (if you take a look at it, it's quite different than the modern radios we're used to).To be sure, I loaded the Spartan up without the multiradio gauge and tried tuning various frequencies with the old-style radio interface. As far as I could tell, com1, com2, nav1, nav2 and ADF were all working. The radio is pretty hard to use VC-only because the frequency readouts are very small, so I suggest you'll use the SHIFT+5 popup instead.

How do I comment them out?Can I just delete the*.gau's and entries in the panel.cfg.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

I already have deleted the wing_gear gauge.Didn't know the mr bright was the multi radio.I'll try that.Thanks,Ron

Guest JSPuonti

>How do I comment them out?Can I just delete the*.gau's and>entries in the panel.cfg.Thanks,RonYou need to edit the panel.cfg file in both "panel" folders (there's one for the VC version and one for the no-VC version). You need to search for the gauges in question within the panel.cfg files and add // at the start of each line mentioning the gauge. That tells FSX to ignore everything written on that line and in this case not to load the gauge.

Thanks for that.So if I do that I don't have to remove the actual *.gau file?Ron

Guest JSPuonti

That's correct, you can leave the GAU files alone.