Sign in to follow this  
RobPol471

309.3 km/h, a new self-driving car record.

The self-driving car designed and built by the Politecnico of Milano (Italy), which is currently the fastest self-driving car in the world.

The performance was obtained in Florida, on the NASA airstrip, where the car reached an average speed of 309.3 kilometers per hour over 1 km in two consecutive attempts in the opposite direction in order to cancel the influence of the wind, thus overcoming the previous record of Roborace, which did not exceed 282.4 km / h. In a few days the Italian team will try to repeat the feat on   Atlanta auto track.

https://youtu.be/HXE-rP2FkeU

Why? 😀

Just kidding. Its the India Autonomous Challenge event. $1.5 million challenge amongst universities to advance autonomous technology. 

Wont be long before we are all having a sleep in our cars, playing Call of Duty, or eating our dinners... all while the car takes us on our journey. While plotting the downfall of man and a Terminator style takeover of course. 🤖

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Why? 😀

Yeah, why?  Who drives that fast and will autonomous cars drive that fast on public highways?  Or do they do it just to do it?

Personally, I like to drive myself.  Even at my age I find it and enjoyable experience even if it is just to the supermarket and back.  I like to operate machinery.

Even vacuuming the living room is something I don't mind.

And I know that prepackaged nutritious good-for-you meals that you just pop into the microwave are here and more are coming.  But I like to cook.  I like to pick out the types and amounts of seasonings to put on a steak, for instance.  And whether to prepare it extra rare (my preference), rare, medium or well done (so you can resole your shoes with it).

What will we do when the future autonomous world has robots doing everything for us?  Like carrying our backpacks and ourselves on wilderness hikes.  Driving our cars for us.  Cooking our meals for us.  Cleaning our homes for us.  Turning off the TV set and carrying us from our recliners to our beds when it's time to go to sleep.

Not for me.  And I doubt for most people either.

Noel

• Like 4

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Yeah, why?  Who drives that fast and will autonomous cars drive that fast on public highways?  Or do they do it just to do it?

Read the rest of my reply Mr Noel 😀 

The competition between university's is to encourage the advancement of the tech.

It worked with Formula 1, I mean you could say nobody drives at Formula 1 speed, but Formula 1 and motor racing has advanced technology which has then filtered down to you and me in our cars.

https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/interactives/special-feature/f1-trickle-down-effect.php

The Challenge

Organized by Energy Systems Network, IAC university teams from around the world compete in a series of challenges to advance technology that can speed the commercialization of fully autonomous vehicles and deployments of advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) to increase safety and performance. The competitions are a platform for students to excel in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).

https://www.indyautonomouschallenge.com/

Edited by martin-w

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

What will we do when the future autonomous world has robots doing everything for us?  Like carrying our backpacks and ourselves on wilderness hikes.  Driving our cars for us.  Cooking our meals for us.  Cleaning our homes for us.  Turning off the TV set and carrying us from our recliners to our beds when it's time to go to sleep.

Not for me.  And I doubt for most people either.

They wont be doing everything. Just the things we want them to do. Like dangerous endeavours that we're rubbish at. The enjoyment of a hike is to carry your own backpack and get back to nature. We will still have the choice to do such things. In fact by automating the mundane ordinary tasks we don't like, it gives us more spare time to go hiking. 🙂

26 minutes ago, martin-w said:

In fact by automating the mundane ordinary tasks we don't like, it gives us more spare time to go hiking.

Doing the mundane things we don't like are exercises in discipline.  Making your bed is a mundane task we don't really enjoy.  So why do we train our youngsters to do it at an early age?  Because it teaches them discipline.  Doing only the things we like to do breeds laziness and irresponsibility.

We have an automatic dish washer.  But I still hand wash all the dishes before putting them in the dish washer.  I look at the dishwasher as sort of an autoclave.  It sterilizes the dishes after I had wash them.

The first thing I do after getting up and performing my morning ablutions is making the bed.  Because of a later in life snoring problem my wife and sleep in separate bedrooms.  I make my own bed and she makes hers,  I don't doubt that at some time in the future robots will be making our beds for us and make us a little bit softer; a little bit less disciplined; a little less caring; but more time to do the things we like.

How much time do you need to do the things you like?  If you have unlimited time to do the things you like you will quickly tire or your recreations and hobbies.  I learned that when I first retired.  So I rationed those things so I could look forward to doing what I did a month ago as opposed to doing the same thing every day until I got bored with it...and believe me, you will get bored with it no matter how much you enjoyed it when you had less time to do it. 

Except reading. Reading is different.  Different authors telling different stories.  I never get tired of that.

Not really back Paul.  I check out what people are talking about from time to time and this caught my interest.  

Noel  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Doing the mundane things we don't like are exercises in discipline.  Making your bed is a mundane task we don't really enjoy.  So why do we train our youngsters to do it at an early age?  Because it teaches them discipline.  Doing only the things we like to do breeds laziness and irresponsibility.

Could not have said it better myself. 

Nice to see you in here again, Noel!

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

We may be going a little over the top. Just because autonomous machines will be a thing and household robots are around doing mundaine tasks, doesn't mean we will all sit in one place and end up with shriveled bodies and ill disciplined minds.

There are lots of other things in life that require discipline other than making a bed. Learning to beat me at chess for example, doing six sets of bench press pyramid style so your muscles are as big as Martin W's, going for a run, and the hike you mentioned earlier requires discipline.

And if you think it's good for kids to make their own beds, and do other things, then make them do it. Robbie the Robots bed making skills aren't compulsory. You obviously aren't forced to use automation under penalty of death.

With all this automation I will still be splitting wood for my wood burning stove this winter like I do every year. I still like manual labour 😁

• Like 2

Matthew Kane

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

You obviously aren't forced to use automation under penalty of death.

Not now, and probably not in my lifetime since I don't have that far to go.

But I would never accept an autonomous car.  Perhaps an electric car if I could drive 200 miles to Albuquerque and back with without having to spend an hour or someplace charging the battery.

But autonomous cars scare me.  I won't ride in one.  In 82 years of driving I've had two minor fender benders.  I don't want this to happen to me:

It’s already happening. Most recently, an Uber self-driving car hit and killed a pedestrian in Arizona, while in May 2017, semi-autonomous software failed in a similarly tragic way when Joshua Brown’s Tesla Model S drove under the trailer of an 18-wheel truck on a highway while in Autopilot mode.

Tesla admits that its system sensors failed to distinguish the white trailer against a bright sky, resulting in the untimely death of the 40-year-old Floridian. But Tesla also says that drivers need to keep their hands on the wheel to stop accidents like this from happening, even when Autopilot is activated. Despite the name, it’s a semi-autonomous system.

If you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel and your foot close the brake pedal then driving isn't autonomous.  AND you have to be alert at what's happening around you.

Noel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

I still like manual labour 

I think most of us of our generation who haven't been mesmerized by the OOhhh and AAhhh technology of today still do as long as we are still physically able..  I can't wait for VR vacations.  I don't know, maybe they're already here.

Noel

Jetsons vs. Flintstones.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

If self-driving vehicles make some people uncomfortable, just wait until the possible creation of half-way sentient robots:  Current two-legged editions can do back flips, and walk across a one foot plank that's 10 feet across...   Also, there is remarkable advances in hand dexterity...

I'm fairly convinced that robots will walk on Mars way before humans ever do...

16 hours ago, birdguy said:

What will we do when the future autonomous world has robots doing everything for us?

They said this about computers too, but all I know is that I ended up making my own travel arrangements, producing formatted reports, preparing camera-ready papers, entering exam results into the database myself and so on.  Not that the number of secretaries has been reduced - they do seem to like surfing the internet.

All that this once new-fangled technology has done for me is increase the number of mundane tasks I have to do, and I don't expect that robots will end up being any different.